Transportation from Yokohama port to Tokyo hotel

psberg

We will be arriving in Yokohama (end of cruise) on the Westerdam on February 17 and are looking for suggestions on getting to our hotel in Tokyo (Imperial Hotel).  The Imperial Hotel is on my husband's bucket list because his dad stayed there many years ago.  We will stay only one night, then go to Narita to board our flight to Honolulu.

Of course, luggage is an issue.  It is just my husband and myself.  We will each have a suitcase and roller bag.

A taxi from Osanbashi Cruise Terminal in Yokohama to the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo will cost you something around 12,000-15,000 yen, and take an hour or so, depending on traffic.

Osanbashi Terminal to Yokohama Station by taxi will cost you about 1,500 yen and take about 10 minutes.

Narita Express Train from Yokohama Station to Tokyo Station will cost you about 1,200 yen per person and take about 30 minutes. The train runs several times every hour.

The train has secure baggage storage at each end of each train car, and free WIFI.

Taxi from Tokyo Station to Imperial Hotel will cost you around 1,500 Yen and take about 10 minutes.

Be sure to visit the Frank Lloyd Wright Bar at the Imperial Hotel. It is the only original remains of the first Imperial Hotel. It is pricey, but you get a live glimpse of Tokyo in the 1960’s.

Hey, Bruce, thanks for all the useful information!  While pricey, a cabfare of only a little over $100 doesn’t sound at all bad, especially since tipping is not the norm.  The other options—cab to train to cab—are probably doable but after such a long trip (this will be day 42 of our trip), we may decide to splurge.  The Imperial Hotel is itself a splurge, which is why we are only staying one night.

Thank you for the tip on the Frank Lloyd Wright bar.  We will definitely check it out!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 5:45 PM, blueskies123 said:

Is there any space left of this tour for 2 Australians?

On 1/3/2024 at 4:16 PM, psberg said:

We will be arriving in Yokohama (end of cruise) on the Westerdam on February 17 and are looking for suggestions on getting to our hotel in Tokyo (Imperial Hotel).  The Imperial Hotel is on my husband's bucket list because his dad stayed there many years ago.  We will stay only one night, then go to Narita to board our flight to Honolulu.

Of course, luggage is an issue.  It is just my husband and myself.  We will each have a suitcase and roller bag.

We are on same cruise, also headed to Tokyo.  Our hotel is just a couple blocks from yours- over by Tokyo station.  Maybe we can split a cab?  We are a party of two and will each have a large-ish suitcase.

Hi, blueskies123,

We prefer to disembark last, around 9 or 9:30.   How does that fit in with your plans?

We haven’t ridden in a Japanese taxi in years, but I don’t think they will accommodate a group with 4 suitcases and carry-ons.  My husband and I may end up with 2 suitcases and 3 carry-ons due to the generous 2 bag pp luggage allowance for our flight home.

I was searching for private cars and found one company that can carry 4 passengers plus luggage for about $130.  The issue is whether they will charge the same price for 2 dropoffs.  I sent them a message and will get back to you after receiving their response.

I’m sorry, but I’ve lost track of this thread. We shall be staying in Shinjuku at the Keio Plaza. Where are you looking at travelling to? I’m not sure where in Tokyo the Imperial Hotel is.

Edited by blueskies123

8 hours ago, blueskies123 said:

I’m sorry, but I’ve lost track of this thread. We shall be staying in Shinjuku at the Keio Plaza. Where are you looking at travelling to? I’m not sure where in Tokyo the Imperial Hotel is.

The Imperial Hotel is at the end of Ginza, across from Hibiya Park, and not far from Tokyo Station.

On 1/28/2024 at 7:39 AM, psberg said:

Hi, blueskies123,

We prefer to disembark last, around 9 or 9:30.   How does that fit in with your plans?

We haven’t ridden in a Japanese taxi in years, but I don’t think they will accommodate a group with 4 suitcases and carry-ons.  My husband and I may end up with 2 suitcases and 3 carry-ons due to the generous 2 bag pp luggage allowance for our flight home.

I was searching for private cars and found one company that can carry 4 passengers plus luggage for about $130.  The issue is whether they will charge the same price for 2 dropoffs.  I sent them a message and will get back to you after receiving their response.

No, they will not do that.  Best to get separate cabs.  These cabs are not big and trunk space accommodate 2 large luggages and one smaller.  

On 1/28/2024 at 10:39 AM, psberg said:

Hi, blueskies123,

We’ll be doing same this fall.  Would you mind sharing the name of the private car service?   We.   We prefer private transfer over public transportation due to luggage and hotel location

thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Since the transfers are so expensive,  our group of friends have booked a van to do sightseeing in the Hakone. .mt Fuji ..area before being dropped off at Haneda airport at 6 pm

cost $145 

pl email rini47@hotmail.com if interested 

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

We will spend a week in Tokyo at the Imperial Hotel after we disembark from Celebrity Millennium, and since we only have carryons, we have decided to take a train/subway. 

My research resulted with 2 options: either 1) from the cruise terminal, walk to the Nihon-Odori Station (we will stay at Hyatt Regency 2 days prior), get on the blue Minatomirai Line to the Yokohama station, then when I get to the Naka-Megura station (by staying on) transfer to the Hibiya Line and get off at the Hibiya station. 

or 2) from the cruise terminal, take a bus to the Yokohama station, get on the red Toyoko line to the Naka-Megura station, then transfer to the Hibiya Line and get off at the Hibiya station. 

I studied the Yokohama subway map and wonder how can we be sure that the blue Minatomirai/red Toyoko line doesn’t go to Shibuya or other place. Could anyone who had gone through prior experience or a local let me know. Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Bocabeach

There is an easier and faster way to go from Nihon-Odori Station in Yokohama to Imperial Hotel in Tokyo.

Stay on the Minatomirai line until Shibuya Station. If you study the Minatomirai schedule, plan to take the Express. The cost is the same. Nihon-Odori to Shibuya Station takes 29 minutes on the Express. There, it is a very short walk to the Ginza Line. Take the Ginza Line to Ginza Station. From Ginza Station, Imperial Hotel is a 10 minute walk or a 5 minute Taxi ride.

3 hours ago, Bocabeach said:

We will spend a week in Tokyo at the Imperial Hotel after we disembark from Celebrity Millennium, and since we only have carryons, we have decided to take a train/subway. 

My research resulted with 2 options: either 1) from the cruise terminal, walk to the Nihon-Odori Station (we will stay at Hyatt Regency 2 days prior), get on the blue Minatomirai Line to the Yokohama station, then when I get to the Naka-Megura station (by staying on) transfer to the Hibiya Line and get off at the Hibiya station. 

or 2) from the cruise terminal, take a bus to the Yokohama station, get on the red Toyoko line to the Naka-Megura station, then transfer to the Hibiya Line and get off at the Hibiya station. 

I studied the Yokohama subway map and wonder how can we be sure that the blue Minatomirai/red Toyoko line doesn’t go to Shibuya or other place. Could anyone who had gone through prior experience or a local let me know. Many thanks in advance.

Very easy:
In Nihon-Odori station, board the Minatomirai Line heading to Wakoshi (和光市駅) or Shibuya or Kawagoeshi on platform 2. The line will change to Tokyu Toyoko Line after Yokohama station. Naka-Megura station is one stop before Shibuya station. From Nihon-odri to Hibiya fare is 750 yen, travel time 55 min. Travel time will be shorter  if you catch the limited express ones. 

https://www.mm21railway.co.jp/global/english/station/nihonodori/stationmap.html
You need to buy an Interline Ticket:
https://www.mm21railway.co.jp/global/english/howto/
Select "Ticket for other companies' railway lines"
Select the line to transfer to from Yokohama (Tokyu Toyoko Line) 

10 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

There is an easier and faster way to go from Nihon-Odori Station in Yokohama to Imperial Hotel in Tokyo.

Stay on the Minatomirai line until Shibuya Station. If you study the Minatomirai schedule, plan to take the Express. The cost is the same. Nihon-Odori to Shibuya Station takes 29 minutes on the Express. There, it is a very short walk to the Ginza Line. Take the Ginza Line to Ginza Station. From Ginza Station, Imperial Hotel is a 10 minute walk or a 5 minute Taxi ride.

Thank you very much for your quick reply and excellent suggestion.

9 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Very easy:
In Nihon-Odori station, board the Minatomirai Line heading to Wakoshi (和光市駅) or Shibuya or Kawagoeshi on platform 2. The line will change to Tokyu Toyoko Line after Yokohama station. Naka-Megura station is one stop before Shibuya station. From Nihon-odri to Hibiya fare is 750 yen, travel time 55 min. Travel time will be shorter  if you catch the limited express ones. 

https://www.mm21railway.co.jp/global/english/station/nihonodori/stationmap.html
You need to buy an Interline Ticket:
https://www.mm21railway.co.jp/global/english/howto/
Select "Ticket for other companies' railway lines"
Select the line to transfer to from Yokohama (Tokyu Toyoko Line) 

Thank you so much for your quick reply and detailed explanation clarifying all my concerns.  

3 hours ago, Bocabeach said:

Thank you so much for your quick reply and detailed explanation clarifying all my concerns.  

The street level elevator access to Nihon-Odori Station locates between Citadnines Harbour Front Yokohama hotel lobby entrance and Yokohama Port Post Office bldg. on Honmachi Dori.

Avoid transferring at busy hub station like Shibuya, Shinjuku and Shinagawa. Shibuya is a valley, the Minatomirai Line platform is on B5F, where metro Ginza Line at 3F. Naka-Megura station had 2 levels only, easier to navigate. From Hibiya station take EXIT A13 (stairs only), 1000 feet walk to Imperial Hotel.

If you don't have IC card and don't know the metro fare cost:
Tickets are sold at ticket vending machines found at every Tokyo Metro station. Tickets are available in denominations of 180 yen, 210 yen, 260 yen, 300 yen, and 330 yen.  Purchase a 180 yen ticket to get through the gate first. You can pay the extra fare at a fare adjustment machine located near the fare gates at your destination station. When you place your ticket into the machine, it will display the fare difference you owe. After inserting the difference, take your ticket and pass through the fare gate.

7 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

The street level elevator access to Nihon-Odori Station locates between Citadnines Harbour Front Yokohama hotel lobby entrance and Yokohama Port Post Office bldg. on Honmachi Dori.

Avoid transferring at busy hub station like Shibuya, Shinjuku and Shinagawa. Shibuya is a valley, the Minatomirai Line platform is on B5F, where metro Ginza Line at 3F. Naka-Megura station had 2 levels only, easier to navigate. From Hibiya station take EXIT A13 (stairs only), 1000 feet walk to Imperial Hotel.

If you don't have IC card and don't know the metro fare cost:
Tickets are sold at ticket vending machines found at every Tokyo Metro station. Tickets are available in denominations of 180 yen, 210 yen, 260 yen, 300 yen, and 330 yen.  Purchase a 180 yen ticket to get through the gate first. You can pay the extra fare at a fare adjustment machine located near the fare gates at your destination station. When you place your ticket into the machine, it will display the fare difference you owe. After inserting the difference, take your ticket and pass through the fare gate.

We are so appreciative of your detailed instructions. We haven’t done this before, and when we studied the Yokohama train/subway map, it looked dauntingly complicated. We can’t check in the Imperial hotel until 2 pm and plan to disembark at 9 am so we have a lot of time to get there. Again many thanks for guiding us. 

On 3/29/2024 at 5:17 PM, Bocabeach said:

We are so appreciative of your detailed instructions. We haven’t done this before, and when we studied the Yokohama train/subway map, it looked dauntingly complicated. We can’t check in the Imperial hotel until 2 pm and plan to disembark at 9 am so we have a lot of time to get there. Again many thanks for guiding us. 

You may find other cruise passengers taking the metro to Shinjuku or Sibuya.
You can store your luggage at the hotel if early arrival. Nearby: Tokyo station is a mini underground city and your lunch ground. Visit Imperial Garden if open to public.

4 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

You may find other cruise passengers taking the metro to Shinjuku or Sibuya.
You can store your luggage at the hotel if early arrival. Nearby: Tokyo station is a mini underground city and your lunch ground. Visit Imperial Garden if open to public.

That’s what we are planning to do: leave our luggage at the Imperial hotel, explore the area and have lunch nearby. We will hang around Ginza, Roppongi, Omotesando and the new fish market, and avoid Shinjuku and Shibuya. We are so looking forward to our trip, which we had booked and rebooked many times since 2020 as Celebrity kept cancelling and Japan itself had many entry restriction due to Covid, Thank you once again for all your advice.