Silversea Shuttle in Dunedin, NZ

Host Jazzbeau

Does anyone know if Silversea provides a shuttle from Port Chalmers to downtown Dunedin on their NZ itineraries?

We are taking an afternoon tour of Olveston House and the  Botanical Garden and would like to go in early for Mass and to DIY the Octagon area.

37 minutes ago, drron29 said:

They certainly did on our 2019 Muse cruise. Dropped off right in the middle of the CBD.

Thanks!  That's great news.

And they did when we were there a few weeks ago. Drop off was at the Octagon. It took about 25 or so minutes. There was some building work in the city and access to the visitor centre was  limited. 

• Thanks 1

The other days in NZ and Oz we will be taking ship excursions but may want to stay in town afterward.  Are there shuttles (or are shuttles needed) in:

•  Tauranga

•  Picton

•  Kaikoura

•  Akaroa

•  Hobart

•  Geelong

•  Eden

TIA

Hobart you will dock right in town.  If you look at a google map you‘ll be near MacQ01. If you need any help on places that are must do in town shout out. 

• Thanks 1

Yes Hobart you are in town.

Picton is the same.

In Eden there was no shuttle -an easy walk to town but the locals put on a bus every 20 minutes for seeing the"highlights" of Eden.

We didn't visit Kaikoura or Geelong.

We visited Port Chalmers instead of Akaroa and there was a shuttle into Christchurch. Akaroa was out of action following the Christchurch earthquake. However the locals were enjoying the peace and quiet and were campaigning to have cruise ships banned from Akaroa.

Tauranga did't have a shuttle.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Tauranga did't have a shuttle.

If I am not mistaken from when I visited Tauranga (not on a cruise) the ships dock in the centre of the town and you just walk off and you are there.

I really liked Tauranga - one of the better towns in NZ (even though about moving there at one time).

• Thanks 1

I used to stay in Tauranga as one of my mother's Bridesmaids lived in Tauranga. The cruise port is near Mt. Manganui and there is a fair bit of developement there. But the CBD and shopping and restaurants are basically on the other side of the Bay which is what I would call Tauranga. No shuttle went there.

When we were in Tauranga before Christmas, as others have said, the ship will dock at Mt Maunganui. We were on a ship's excursion so the bus picked us up from the dock, otherwise you could walk along the dock to the main gate, but this was about 600m as we were parked behind a RC ship. There was no shuttle into Tauranga (which was maybe 10-15 mins drive). But Mt Maunganui has the namesake mountain to walk around or up, and also quite a few eateries within walking distance of the port. The town used to be a separate town but once the bridge to Tauranga was built it has become a suburb.

In Kaikoura we had to anchor on the 'wrong' side due to wind conditions and then a drive to meet the whale watching boat (The town was rushing around to get enough buses). From memory I think there was also shuttle bus into the town area but we didn't go there, just the whale watching excursion which was very good even though not prime whale migration season and there was two sightings of the sperm whale. A bonus was a huge pod of dolphins leaping and somersaulting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1