Carpet shopping in Istanbul…any recommendations for a local ‘guide’ to help ?

My wife and I will be stopping in Istanbul on a princess cruise in June. We will have most of the day there and would love to shop for carpets. Anyone have experienced doing this or have any recommendation for guides and or advice so we don’t walk blindly into the bazaar? I have no trouble haggling as I’ve done that around the world, even in the US… Lol but it might be nice to have somebody who knows the ropes, and knows some of the better stores. Thank you. 

Rick 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2024 at 10:25 PM, drsullivan said:

My wife and I will be stopping in Istanbul on a princess cruise in June. We will have most of the day there and would love to shop for carpets. Anyone have experienced doing this or have any recommendation for guides and or advice so we don’t walk blindly into the bazaar? I have no trouble haggling as I’ve done that around the world, even in the US… Lol but it might be nice to have somebody who knows the ropes, and knows some of the better stores. Thank you. 

Rick 

I still recall one fun day when DW decided to buy a small (high qualiity) carpet (to use as a wall hanging) at the Grand Bazaar.  Despite having some idea of what we were doing, it took nearly 1 1/2 hours at one small shop where we were invited for tea (it would be rude/improper to decline).   Keep in mind that if you hire a guide, not only will you need to pay that guide but it is also likely the guide will take you to places where he/she gets a "kick back" from the owner!  A Turkish friend once told me that "all Turks are entrepreneurs"  :).

When it comes to carpets, we thought the haggling was the easy part.  Knowing how to find good quality and a truly handmade Turkish carpet (as compared to garbage imported from other countries) is a challenge.  

We have been fortunate to travel with a friend who is something of an expert on carpets.   We also did very well buying a very old carpet in Greece, unexpectedly.  

But it’s easy to make a mistake,  our best rug was bought at home at auction.  

I think it very much depends on the guide.   We hired Lail Kosygin in Istanbul and she was incredible and did direct one couple on where to go.  

Wishing you luck,  price what you like at home and if you see one you really like go for it!