MSC accessible cabin for non disabled guest

lucy n

Hi all,

Would appreciate some advice from more seasoned passengers! We’ve sailed with MSC a couple of times previously and never had an issue booking the specific cabins we want. This time we’re booking a sailing not totally last minute but with less than 6 months to go. Contacted our agent this morning for a quote and with specifics on where we want  cabin-essentially we’re not too fussed about the deck but more that we wanted a balcony cabin that overlooks a promenade or lifeboat section rather than directly looking onto the ocean. The agent has sent us through a quote and when I’ve looked on the deck map although the cabin is in exactly the right section it looks to be an accessible cabin.

Has anyone had experience of booking an accessible cabin when they don’t need one-is this allowed? I wouldn’t want to take away a cabin from someone who needs it but I wonder if MSC would move us if someone wanted to book that cabin who needed it later on than us. I wouldn’t have a problem with this at all but would be great to get everyone’s thoughts

thank you!

I would inquire of the agent why this cabin was chosen.   Maybe the agent isn’t recognizing that the cabin is HC.  Or maybe MSC suggested it.  Who knows.  But it’s possible you could be moved, as MSC is unfortunately known for moving or upgrading people for unknown reasons.  EM

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I would inquire of the agent why this cabin was chosen.   Maybe the agent isn’t recognizing that the cabin is HC.  Or maybe MSC suggested it.  Who knows.  But it’s possible you could be moved, as MSC is unfortunately known for moving or upgrading people for unknown reasons.  EM

Thank you-currently waiting to hear back from the agent after I’ve queried it! Would want to avoid a move if possible as will be sailing with young kids so I’ve asked them to double check if there are other options for family rooms. Really glad I checked the deck plan

1 hour ago, lucy n said:

Has anyone had experience of booking an accessible cabin when they don’t need one-is this allowed?

For a long time, MSC treated wheelchair accessible staterooms the same as other staterooms. Anyone could book one even if by accident. Currently, a box must be checked before the wheelchair accessible staterooms are shown as available. 

1 hour ago, lucy n said:

I wouldn’t want to take away a cabin from someone who needs it but I wonder if MSC would move us if someone wanted to book that cabin who needed it later on than us.

I appreciate that you're being considerate. Many people (unfortunately) are not and just want to book a larger stateroom for the same price as standard. The wheelchair accessible staterooms are usually booked early since the people who need them know that there are a limited number of staterooms that would work for them. Since your booking is sailing in a few months, MSC might figure that no one who needs that stateroom will book this close to sailing. It is entirely possible that someone who needs it could end up in that stateroom which would mean that you would be moved. 

I suggest going over the deck plans and finding other staterooms that would fit your preferences and hope that the agent can move you there. If not, you might end up staying in the accessible stateroom. 

1 hour ago, lucy n said:

....but more that we wanted a balcony cabin that overlooks a promenade or lifeboat section rather than directly looking onto the ocean.

Your request is pretty much the opposite of what many people look for in a balcony stateroom. You didn't mention which ship but if it is one of the newer builds, looking straight down to the water is intentionally not as common as it used to be. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

For a long time, MSC treated wheelchair accessible staterooms the same as other staterooms. Anyone could book one even if by accident. Currently, a box must be checked before the wheelchair accessible staterooms are shown as available. 

I appreciate that you're being considerate. Many people (unfortunately) are not and just want to book a larger stateroom for the same price as standard. The wheelchair accessible staterooms are usually booked early since the people who need them know that there are a limited number of staterooms that would work for them. Since your booking is sailing in a few months, MSC might figure that no one who needs that stateroom will book this close to sailing. It is entirely possible that someone who needs it could end up in that stateroom which would mean that you would be moved. 

I suggest going over the deck plans and finding other staterooms that would fit your preferences and hope that the agent can move you there. If not, you might end up staying in the accessible stateroom. 

Your request is pretty much the opposite of what many people look for in a balcony stateroom. You didn't mention which ship but if it is one of the newer builds, looking straight down to the water is intentionally not as common as it used to be. 

I know it seems like a really funny request right?! I am all about having a view and looking out on to the ocean. . . my husband has a real thing with heights and says that looking down directly into the water gives him the heebie jeebies 🙈 He also seems to think our children will throw themselves off like lemmings (they won’t). We sailed on the Splendida in 2022 and had a deck 10 or 11 cabin that looked straight down which he found absolutely awful. On the Seascape last year we were on deck 11 toward the back of the ship and overlooked the Aurea verandas on deck 9 so this was perfect for my husband as he felt safe! I really felt for those who had booked the more expensive veranda cabins though because they are so overlooked by everyone upstairs in the cheaper fantastical balconies!

This trip is going to be (hopefully) on the Divina so there’s only certain cabins that overlook the promenade sections-most of the balcony cabins jut out and will directly overlook the ocean regardless of the deck level it seems.

The agent has called to confirm the cabin isn’t available unless there’s an accessible need to that is now all sorted-back to the deck maps I go!

• Like 1

There are a lot of cabins on Divina that would suit your husband’s needs.  We had a Bella balcony (8114) that looked out over a lifeboat,  but below the lifeboat was a walking deck.  The balconies at least one deck up would still look down on lifeboats.  In fact, all balconies in those sections that have lifeboats below will not be looking at the ocean, but I would think he would be more worried the higher you get.  Granted, it has been quite a few years since I sailed Divina, maybe 8, but at that time all the quad balconies had fold out sofas for the 3/4 guests.   No bunks.  Perhaps someone can report if they have switched out those couches for bunk sofas.  EM