How formal is 'Formal' on Princess

4 hours ago, MTAK said:

3 different levels of formality for MDR dining.

The lowest level will be most formal and as you go up to the next higher deck in the same MDR it will be less formal and even less the next deck up.

I think this is more to do with presentation of the food.

Regards John

4 hours ago, MTAK said:

Apparently that will be happening on the new Sun Princess - 3 different levels of formality for MDR dining.

I'm not sure about that.  The MDR consist of three level for dining and I assume they will be all designated as formal dining for formal night.  I could be wrong.  

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

I'm not sure about that.  The MDR consist of three level for dining and I assume they will be all designated as formal dining for formal night.  I could be wrong.  

My interpretation from what is said in the video is; formal, less formal and least formal are presentations of the food and the way the service is provided as in the highest deck level a quicker service for people who wish to get out of the MDR more speedily and do not perceive the meal as an occasion but want to get on to the theatre or other venue to start their evening.  I do not think it is about how the passengers dress.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Haha 1

On 1/7/2024 at 5:55 PM, john watson said:

My interpretation from what is said in the video is; formal, less formal and least formal are presentations of the food and the way the service is provided as in the highest deck level a quicker service for people who wish to get out of the MDR more speedily and do not perceive the meal as an occasion but want to get on to the theatre or other venue to start their evening.  I do not think it is about how the passengers dress.

Regards John

He really didn't cover if the selections of food on the different levels will be identical.

I'm just assuming it'll be the same menu's with just the variation in style of clothing. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens onboard the ship. 

Interesting. I'll be on the Sun Princess in June, and assumed the 3 levels referred to style of dress. I'm not sure how the service could be more or less formal, unless they bring out all the courses at once on the least formal part. Looking forward to the first reviews from Sun Princess when she sets sail next month, that will answer a lot of our questions. Some of my traveling party generally enjoy staying casual on vacation evenings, so I have been thinking this new plan might be perfect for them. I used to enjoy dressing up but the world has changed so much, I'm pretty much over it.

• Thanks 1

My husband hates suit coats (says they're too hot) so he doesn't usually wear one even on formal nights. I like to have a reason to dress up occasionally so I dress to the 9's. I think your idea of dressing up is a personal choice and noone should judge anyone else for their choices. I wouldn't do shorts or a tshirt. But nice jeans, a polo shirt, button down. I'd think all those would be ok.

• Like 3