Queen Mary 2 world voyage 2024….Red Sea?

Easybimble

On 1/18/2024 at 7:53 AM, rog747 said:

Just for fun mind!

Voyage distances for alternative route avoiding call at Dubai and transit Suez. 

(rerouting is not possible via Panama Canal) 
Port stops are not included.
Options shown are to go back from Colombo (on Day 90) to Southampton,
and from there she then has to cross to New York (on Day 117) to undertake a R/T B2B TA.

Distance    10286 nautical miles via Cape of Good Hope
Vessel speed    25 knots
Time    17 days 03 hours 

This gives her more than enough days even at a slower speed, with some Port stops enroute, to be back in SOU on time for the NYC crossing departing 28th April (Day 117).

I have used Colombo as the last scheduled Port of Call on the current WC  itinerary, because the ship is not going to be sailing from any Australian Ports.
The ports prior to Colombo are all in SE Asia.

Therefore due to the distances involved, suggestions for her to maybe return via Cape Horn are not tenable. 

Folk due to disembark Dubai could get off at Colombo.

She would definitely stop again at Cape Town (most likely stay overnight as usual) - a St Helena sail-by would be doable as time permits 

Are Qatar & Dubai definitely off the list as the last possible ports on the current itinerary?  Seems to me they could sail from Dubai and simply reverse the outbound part of they journey (duplicating the route they are on now): Mauritius/Reunion, S Africa, Namibia, Tenerife, Southampton.  I think the schedule still allows enough time.

4 minutes ago, ChrisMV said:

I am on the Singapore to Dubai segment.  What is the general consensus as to how that segment will most likely play out?  

Get on in Singapore as originally scheduled (March 23, 2024) but then off in Cape Town instead of Dubai . . . with the itinerary staying as planned up until Sri Lanka (March 31, 2024), then skipping Doha and Dubai and instead going straight to Cape Town from Colombo)?

Would this proposed detour likely add days to what is supposed to be a 15 night voyage?  

Queen Victoria World Voyage itinerary leaves Colombo on March 30 and arrives in Cape Town on April 11, with stops in Port Louis on April 4 and Port Elizabeth on April 9.

One of the discussed alternatives on this thread is: Queen Mary 2 is scheduled to be in Colombo on March 31, and could potentially follow QV's itinerary. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AuthBen3 said:

Are Qatar & Dubai definitely off the list as the last possible ports on the current itinerary?  Seems to me they could sail from Dubai and simply reverse the outbound part of they journey (duplicating the route they are on now): Mauritius/Reunion, S Africa, Namibia, Tenerife, Southampton.  I think the schedule still allows enough time.

Somebody did the calculations in an earlier post in this thread, and the consensus is that QM2 would not be able to arrive in time in Southampton if it made its way to Dubai. Someone else also alluded that the hull insurance might not cover QM2 sailing in those waters, given the entire region volatility.

• Thanks 1

The end result under that hypothetical would result in a much longer than 15 night voyage for those getting on in Singapore then, if my math is correct.  Would Cunard expect those who paid for “just 15 nights” to now pay additional since the trip would become much longer?

Edited by ChrisMV
Clarity

Just now, ChrisMV said:

The end result under that hypothetical would be a much longer than 15 night voyage for those getting on in Singapore then, if my math is correct.  Would Cunard expect those who paid for 15 nights to pay additional since then trip would become much longer I wonder?

It is all speculation at this point. We really need to wait for Cunard's final decision and the ensuing implications.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, tjunmin said:

It is all speculation at this point. We really need to wait for Cunard's final decision and the ensuing implications.

Our travel agent just talked to the Cunard rep for travel agents today (January 22). They told her it is likely to be another month (mid-Feb) before they will make a final decision on the route the ship will take. Could be unfortunate for the World Cruise folks, who may be going back to the same ports they are traveling through now.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AuthBen3 said:

Our travel agent just talked to the Cunard rep for travel agents today (January 22). They told her it is likely to be another month (mid-Feb) before they will make a final decision on the route the ship will take. Could be unfortunate for the World Cruise folks, who may be going back to the same ports they are traveling through now.

AuthBen3, that sounds about right.  the ship is due here in Sydney on 27 Feb, from which it begins its trip home through Asia first.  Both the QV and QM2 are due to return to Southhampton from their world voyages on 28 April.  The idea that they could meet in Columbo Sri Lanka on or around 30/31 March and then make their way back together (or in close proximity) has a great deal of merit and would be the most likely outcome.

The US Dept of Transportation advisory against maritime travel by US owned ships is due to be updated on 5 Feb, and if it is renewed (I would bet on this even though I am not a gambling man), then Carnival Corp will act accordingly for all their ships.  They have a Princess and Costa ship slated to go through the Red Sea in mid-March well before the QM2 in mid-April.  I have reposted the link to the US Dept of Transportation.  I am watching that space:

https://www.maritime.dot.gov/msci/2024-001b-red-sea-and-gulf-aden-potential-retaliatory-attacks-houthi-forces

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AuthBen3 said:

I definitely wish that we'll hear from Cunard sooner than mid-February. No one likes uncertainty, but I can imagine that Cunard will attempt to postpone the decision as much as possible, in hopes the situation in the Red Sea will stabilize; although personally, I doubt that it will improve enough to allow safe passage of cruise ships in the area. 

MSC cancelled their three cruises in the area [announcement link], and will sail the ships - Splendida, Opera and Virtuosa - empty back to Europe, around Africa. Hope Cunard will manage to ensure docking in ports and supply channels along the route.

It is an unfortunate situation for all people impacted. At least we can take comfort that we are being looked after - by governments and companies - ensuring our safety. Hope there will be a silver lining for the World Voyage folks.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Fairplay said:

Would be interested to learn what is being said on the situation to those currently on the World Cruise? 

An earlier post from  over a week ago said that the captain had said in the daily programme that the situation was being monitored

• Like 1

I embark in Sydney and then on till Dubai. I just want to know which changes there will be if any. So that I can make arrangements. If there is a disembark port change would like to know where and when. In-between changes don't make as much difference unless I would need a visa. 

Just waiting to see. 

3 minutes ago, busmech said:

I embark in Sydney and then on till Dubai. I just want to know which changes there will be if any. So that I can make arrangements. If there is a disembark port change would like to know where and when. In-between changes don't make as much difference unless I would need a visa. 

Just waiting to see. 

We are on Singapore to Southampton segment and waiting to hear, wish they would let us know the options soon

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 5:53 AM, Austcruiser84 said:
18 hours ago, tjunmin said:
19 hours ago, tjunmin said:

It is all speculation at this point.

I just read that New Zealand is now sending military assets to Red Sea to assist other allied navies. 
Best of luck to all on WC, as Cunard has been saying for years, “Getting there is half the fun!” 
Now Cunard has to tell pax where the there is going to be!

Edited by NE John

I just read that New Zealand is now sending military assets to Red Sea to assist other allied navies. 
Best of luck to all on WC, as Cunard has been saying for years, “Getting there is half the fun!” 
Now Cunard has to tell pax where the there is going to be!

Note: Sorry for duplicate - sometimes posting on this site leads to odd formatting. 

• Like 2

Word from travel agent support person at Cunard (as of 1/22/2024) is that they do not expect a final decision until as late as mid-February.  Columbo (Sri Lanka) could be the last port before change to S Africa route, like the Queen Victoria.

• Thanks 1

I am booked Singapore to Southampton 

does anyone know if we do not want to “do” Africa as the alternative would we be eligible for full refund

I am disabled and chose the cruise to be easiest at ports

thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Annie56 said:

I am booked Singapore to Southampton 

does anyone know if we do not want to “do” Africa as the alternative would we be eligible for full refund

I am disabled and chose the cruise to be easiest at ports

thanks

For UK bookers -
If the voyage is diverted via the Cape (ie: fails to call at Dubai and then sails back via Cape Town with a totally different Itinerary) then that is classed as a major change of your holiday, and I would fully expect that the options will be:

Take the new cruise itinerary if offered.
Cunard may offer guests some incentives to keep your booking. 

Cancel and take a 100% FCC + maybe with some extra FCC offered too.

Cancel and take a Full Refund.  

NB: if you have booked flights and hotels Independently then Cunard may or may not cover any losses for changes/cancellations if that affects your booking if you need to amend or cancel.
You should apply to Cunard on a case-by-case basis for their consideration if you suffer any unrecoverable 3rd party loss. 

If you booked in another Country I am sorry I cannot be 100% sure.

Edited by rog747

I've been following this thread to see what happens with the QM2 and the Red Sea issue, but I had a thought this morning.   MSC cancelled three cruises that were supposed to route through the Red Sea and are now going around Africia without paying passengers (empty).   I guess I'm wondering why empty?  None of the articles I find online gives a reason why they decided not to take passengers.   I'm thinkinkg it has to be a money issue, but it seems to me that empty ships are not generating revenue and even a 1/2 empty ship is better then sailing empty.   I was thinking that perhaps it's a supply chain issue with provisioning the ship, fuel, etc...  But it's MSC, they must have tons of global partners.    Wondering if Cunard might do the same, just scrap that leg of the WC and speed back to Southampton empty.  

2 hours ago, rog747 said:

For UK bookers -
If the voyage is diverted via the Cape (ie: fails to call at Dubai and then sails back via Cape Town with a totally different Itinerary) then that is classed as a major change of your holiday, and I would fully expect that the options will be:

Take the new cruise itinerary if offered.
Cunard may offer guests some incentives to keep your booking. 

Cancel and take a 100% FCC + maybe with some extra FCC offered too.

Cancel and take a Full Refund.  

NB: if you have booked flights and hotels Independently then Cunard may or may not cover any losses for changes/cancellations if that affects your booking if you need to amend or cancel.
You should apply to Cunard on a case-by-case basis for their consideration if you suffer any unrecoverable 3rd party loss. 

If you booked in another Country I am sorry I cannot be 100% sure.

Surely no one would book such an itinerary without comprehensive travel insurance.

20 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Surely no one would book such an itinerary without comprehensive travel insurance.

Interesting to see what effect any 'force majeure' clause would have on insurance claims.

1 hour ago, Joe33472 said:

I've been following this thread to see what happens with the QM2 and the Red Sea issue, but I had a thought this morning.   MSC cancelled three cruises that were supposed to route through the Red Sea and are now going around Africia without paying passengers (empty).   I guess I'm wondering why empty?  None of the articles I find online gives a reason why they decided not to take passengers.   I'm thinkinkg it has to be a money issue, but it seems to me that empty ships are not generating revenue and even a 1/2 empty ship is better then sailing empty.   I was thinking that perhaps it's a supply chain issue with provisioning the ship, fuel, etc...  But it's MSC, they must have tons of global partners.    Wondering if Cunard might do the same, just scrap that leg of the WC and speed back to Southampton empty.  

Cunard has ports around continental Africa - check out the outbound World Cruise from New York City for the QM2 World Cruise (approaching Namibia today 1/23), as well as the return World Cruise for Queen Victoria; both hit ports off Madagascar, South Africa, Namibia and Tenerife.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AuthBen3 said:

Cunard has ports around continental Africa - check out the outbound World Cruise from New York City for the QM2 World Cruise (approaching Namibia today 1/23), as well as the return World Cruise for Queen Victoria; both hit ports off Madagascar, South Africa, Namibia and Tenerife.

I did see that Cunard has ports around continental Africa, but I just looked and it appears that MSC also has ports around South Africa.    So now, I don't think it's a port thing.  There are some early 2024 MSC cruises around continental Africa.   Maybe it's a port availability issue.  

image.png.39edbcb7537f3844fdc3176d7ec899c1.png

image.png.c2fbfbc5aee4a33e2ba8beca6f5d57f7.png

• Like 1