Queen Mary 2 world voyage 2024….Red Sea?

Easybimble

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

That's probably a question for the MSC board, I would think that Cunard would try and sail with passengers. 

You remember that the Covid interrupted world cruise, which in theory said good bye to its passengers in Australia, actually sailed back with a couple of hundred of people who couldn’t fly. This is often part of the reason people book these trips. I’m sure they wouldn’t wish to part with their passengers again.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

That's probably a question for the MSC board, I would think that Cunard would try and sail with passengers. 

I was just trying to understand why MSC might have made that decision and if Cunard might go down a similar route.  But it seems like consensus that Cunard won't go down that route.   It's really not about MSC per se, probably any cruise line with plans in the Red Sea.  

Perhaps they feel if they can get back without stopping at any ports for leisure purposes there will be less disruption overall? Following cruises will not be affected?

• Like 1

The US Dept of Transportation has modified their no sail warning for the Red Sea / Gulf of Aden.  There is now an explicit statement that the order is 'until further notice' and that it will 'not automatically expire'

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 8.57.42 am.png

Edited by SaltyCroc

12 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

I've been following this thread to see what happens with the QM2 and the Red Sea issue, but I had a thought this morning.   MSC cancelled three cruises that were supposed to route through the Red Sea and are now going around Africia without paying passengers (empty).   I guess I'm wondering why empty?  None of the articles I find online gives a reason why they decided not to take passengers.   I'm thinkinkg it has to be a money issue, but it seems to me that empty ships are not generating revenue and even a 1/2 empty ship is better then sailing empty.   I was thinking that perhaps it's a supply chain issue with provisioning the ship, fuel, etc...  But it's MSC, they must have tons of global partners.    Wondering if Cunard might do the same, just scrap that leg of the WC and speed back to Southampton empty. 

This has come up on the Crystal forum.  They have 2 ships, one on the World Cruise with many passengers booked through to Miami.  That one will be carrying passengers on whatever the new itinerary becomes.

The other is due to reposition to Athens for a Mediterranean season that is heavily sold.  That ship will dead to Athens as fast as possible without passengers.  With no passengers they do not need a lot of the entertainers and lecturers that come on for  a cruise, and send some crew whose contracts are nearing the ends home early and delaying some others until passengers return.  That and last minute African cruises would be hard to sell.

Roy

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Indeed Host Hattie, and Good Morning to you all,

This is an emotive subject, and not knowing what will happen is quite worrying to many who are expecting to travel, and to those who are already on board the QM2.

To attempt to clarify, 

MSC's ships attract, and very do well on the 'local' South African market for these short local cruises.

That is why MSC send their ships down there in 'our' winter. 
The three voyages MSC have cancelled back from SA via Suez, two to Italy, and one to SOU, are purely Re-positioners.
They sell the Cabins off on these usually pretty cheap and (This is just IMO) perhaps bookings for the 3 Voyages did not warrant compensating the booked Pax who were expecting to sail back via Suez.
Also the 3 ships had a number of Port calls booked at various Islands and places in the Eastern Med, so those calls would not be possible if coming back through the Straits of Gib.
Thus I guess it was simpler and more economical to cancel them all, and Position back empty.

One point worth to mention, is that there a still a fair number of Expats who sail down to the Cape from UK & Europe on the Positioning Voyages (and also on Cunard) to spend the Winter VFR 
(VFR = Visiting Friends and Relatives, we called it in the Travel Industry) and then like to take a ship passage home again in the Spring.
Thus, should Cunard run both QV and now also QM2 home via the Cape then there maybe a fair number of these folk trying to get Berths, if they do not want to Fly home.

If QM2 does run home via the Cape, I am certain she will take Passengers back to SOU (and for those booked on the full WC, who also those who have to get back to NYC) because many of those will have booked not wanting to do any Air Travel.
I cannot see Cunard cancelling the WC cruise after Colombo and then running for home empty.

Also folk mention about claiming on Travel Insurance ----- >

This should not be needed, as Cunard, if they drastically change your holiday then they should be in a position to ''look after you'' and refund you accordingly. 

It should be noted that I have previously mentioned that you cannot usually claim for 3rd party losses from your Travel Insurers, such as fees for cancelled Hotels and Air tickets that you have booked Independently, but it is always worth submitting a Claim to them.

If no avail, you can try and seek that recompense from Cunard, upon application for their consideration to cover your losses.

Your Travel Insurers should cover you (as long as you have that Cover added) for any Delay/Travel Disruption and any losses, once you have commenced your outward journey to join your holiday, as long as you are not traveling against any FCO advice. 
If in doubt just check your Cover and speak to your Travel Insurance Co. 

Edited by rog747
add info
  • Like 3

Aida cruises , who I understand  are part of the Carnival corporation stable ( subsidiary of Costa )  have just announced cancelling a number of Red Sea cruises in March and April and are deadheading round Africa to the Med.

I think they are the first Carnival Corp company to divert. I might be wrong but I would assume there would be an overall decision/ policy at Carnival Board level about a situation like this , which effects all their cruise lines. If so it may not be long before others announce their rerouting plans. 
incidentally their statement said they were taking the decision now so passengers can have security about their holiday plans in good time. Hopefully Cunard will do the same!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, KJR999 said:

Thank you for this posting.  Let's see when Carnival Corp cancels the Costa Toscana passage through the Red Sea.  It is scheduled to transit the southern Red Sea on 16-17 March.  Aida and Costa were scheduled to go through this region about a month before the QM2 and the HAL Zuiderdam in mid-April.

Noticeable that these cancellations do go into April,  last one the 6th. Not that long before QM 2 is scheduled. And the Princess world cruise goes through in March , so a decision for that must be expected. 

• Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 11:27 PM, new to cuising said:

Whilst her design max speed is 30 knots, it is now very rare for her to exceed 24knts.

Whilst we were on during the summer we did 28 knots for around a day and a half, and a recent crossing (don't quote me on dates, as not 100%) - she was doing 26 for around 3 days. So she can definitely still do it when required.

On 1/19/2024 at 11:27 PM, new to cuising said:

I was told by a well informed crew member on the 3 jan TA that the last time the turbines were run they had to be shut down through fear of them catching fire.

I can't speak for the quality of them or when they were last ran, however, they have recently been serviced. We saw one being taken out to be shipped to the factory in June last year, and the most recent refit was more engineering than anything as well.

I do believe the ship should be in a better condition to undertake those speeds now, especially given there are some 6 night crossings scheduled for this year. Given it's another 2? months away, it should also give the engineers some time should need anything to be prepared.

EDIT: Should anyone be interested, here is a photo of the gas turbine I took in June
eb0f4d71b66ce16d848cb0b1.jpg?k=b17f8a73b

Edited by MylesS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, SaltyCroc said:

Thank you for this posting.  Let's see when Carnival Corp cancels the Costa Toscana passage through the Red Sea.  It is scheduled to transit the southern Red Sea on 16-17 March.  Aida and Costa were scheduled to go through this region about a month before the QM2 and the HAL Zuiderdam in mid-April.

The Toscana cruise was cancelled January 25.

• Thanks 2

Thank you autumnriver! So Carnival has cancelled the voyages that haven’t started on Aida and Costa. Now that leaves the three that are currently under way: Island Princess, QM2, and Hal Zuiderdam. Island Princess and QM2 are due in Sydney starting in mid February. I expect some sort of plan is in the works to advise passengers and those who have booked subsequent segments (yours truly) of the revised itineraries so that people can bail out or adjust accordingly. It would be very poor form to allow these ships to get to Singapore and then make an announcement just before they were due to depart on a radically revised journey.  I feel particularly sorry for the island princess passengers who will likely lose their very extensive Mediterranean itinerary (I wish I could do that one.)

Edited by SaltyCroc

So much for the Chinese asking the Iranians to rein in the Houthis,  with an oil tanker being hit and on fire in the Gulf of Yemen tonight. Whilst obviously the terrible events in the Middle East are a totally different dimension to people having their holidays changed or cancelled , on an individual personal level it’s time that Cunard and the other Carnival lines alerted passengers to planned diversions and cancellations, so we know exactly where we stand!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, SaltyCroc said:

Thank you autumnriver! So Carnival has cancelled the voyages that haven’t started on Aida and Costa. Now that leaves the three that are currently under way: Island Princess, QM2, and Hal Zuiderdam. Island Princess and QM2 are due in Sydney starting in mid February. I expect some sort of plan is in the works to advise passengers and those who have booked subsequent segments (yours truly) of the revised itineraries so that people can bail out or adjust accordingly. It would be very poor form to allow these ships to get to Singapore and then make an announcement just before they were due to depart on a radically revised journey.  I feel particularly sorry for the island princess passengers who will likely lose their very extensive Mediterranean itinerary (I wish I could do that one.)

Carnival needs to take into consideration that sailing a radically different itinerary might require passengers to obtain additional visas, and certainly change shore excursion plans; therefore, lead time should be given to passengers to get ready for an itinerary change. Allowing these ships to get to Singapore and then make an announcement just before they are due to depart has the potential to be chaos for passengers.

The word we received from our travel agent, who called the Cunard travel agent support line, was to not expected a decision until the first or second week of February, still a month before before the sailing date of March 23. But yes, we need to hear as soon as possible.

• Thanks 1

I would put money on the decision already being made , and to be fair  the delay more about the complex logistics of rerouting a world cruise.  new Port stops , provisioning , crew changes, alternatives for passengers for exiting cruise or alternative shore excursions , reimbursements ,  and so on. Which leads to our inevitable frustrations! I just hope we do get to know early February at the latest!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NannaJan said:

I would put money on the decision already being made , and to be fair  the delay more about the complex logistics of rerouting a world cruise.  new Port stops , provisioning , crew changes, alternatives for passengers for exiting cruise or alternative shore excursions , reimbursements ,  and so on. Which leads to our inevitable frustrations! I just hope we do get to know early February at the latest!

I’m inclined to agree with you. Waiting, not so patiently, to hear what will happen to us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruiseluvva said:

I’m inclined to agree with you. Waiting, not so patiently, to hear what will happen to us.

Yep, we have friends with flights and hotel booked meeting us so hope to hear sooner rather than later

I don’t think it would hurt for people to call the Cunard support line and let them know they are concerned and anxious to know as soon as possible… (800) 728-6273 (we’re on the QM2 Singapore to Southampton trip). Of course the rep didn’t know anything, but I asked him to pass along our concerns.

• Like 3

So here we are, some 50 odd days before we set off on the cruise we have waited so long for. As most other passengers we have invested a lot of money in this trip including many thousands of dollars in air fairs to reach Singapore and then back home from Southampton. Heading into a war zone was NEVER in our plan. A good number of other cruises have been cancelled or redirected but Cunard still want to more time before they announce their decision. We would prefer to continue through the Red Sea but not with the current situation which gets worse as each day passes. Decision time is NOW, not in two weeks time. If the cruise is cancelled we need time to replan our holiday. Not even sure if we can claim our airfares back from the airlines. Time is of the essence. Make a decision Cunard and let your customers know.