First & last NCL cruise

Obobru

bkrickles1

consider i was at polk in 1969. believe me it su***d. 

also, since i was drafted, i think it would be very hypocritical of me to accept thanks for something i was forced to and really didn't want to do

So I am just back from a 16 day Antarctica cruise with Princess.  I am not trying to diminish your complaints but a lot of what you didnt like we had the exact same thing on Princess.  Still with every negative there were so many positives. It was a once in a lifetime cruise. When you are in the middle of the antarctic Im not sure where you expect them to replenish foods you just have to make due with what you have.  If food, entertainment, etc are very important in a cruise then I wouldnt choose Antarctica as a destination.  Just my opinion. You should try a different destination with NCL to really experience NCL.  Here are some examples I had with my Antarctic cruise (but I wouldnt trade it for anything) :

1.   Buffet lunch was very small, food was always lukewarm at best and not very tasty.

2.  Ship ran out of lettuce/leafy greens, mushrooms and other stuff to make main course dinners like scallops.  Fruit was old and mushy near the end.

3.  Limited entertainment during the day.  Mostly enrichment lectures and trivia.

4.  I personally didnt have a problem with dinner because I paid extra for a special dining room but those who showed up at the regular dining venues said they waited upwards of an hour or more to be seated.

5.  Embarkation was a cluster you know what.  Some waited 3 hrs before boarding in the sweltering heat.

6. Entertainment was ok.  I wouldnt say great but were good.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 12:11 PM, UKstages said:

hey, now!

i watched "band of brothers" and "saving private ryan" and enjoyed them very much.

on the other hand, i watched "commando" and felt that the director should have thanked me for my service afterwards. (the special effects were good, though. in one scene, they actually made it appear as if schwarzenegger was acting!)

sorry, i just wanted to share my combat experience, so i could fit in with all the kool kidz.

When I watched Saving Private Ryan and saw all the boats approaching the shore I started yelling "turn back, turn back now".   My grandmother had 3 boys in the service at that time and one of them was killed at Normandy.  My father was "lucky" in that he was a small man and was hand picked to be an officer's  chauffeur. When he answered "but I cant drive, Sir" they said "we'll teach you" and they did. 

Edited by Smitheroo

49 minutes ago, ravenjls said:

When you are in the middle of the antarctic Im not sure where you expect them to replenish foods you just have to make due with what you have.  If food, entertainment, etc are very important in a cruise then I wouldnt choose Antarctica as a destination. 

i don't follow how the entertainment options are more limited because you're traveling through antarctica. i get the food availability issues (temperature of cooked food, however, has nothing to with the ship's destination), but i don't see why somebody wouldn't choose antarctica if entertainment were important to them.

except for the food, everything on your six point list doesn't seem to have anything to do with the destination. as for the food, any modern cruise ship should have the ability to store three weeks of food and should have chefs who can alter the menu to account for the lack of fresh fruits and vegetables toward the end of the cruise.

Edited by UKstages

6 minutes ago, UKstages said:

i don't follow how the entertainment options are more limited because you're traveling through antarctica. i get the food availability issues (temperature of cooked food, however, has nothing to with the ship's destination), but i don't see why somebody wouldn't choose antarctica if entertainment were important to them.

except for the food, everything on your six point list doesn't seem to have anything to do with the destination. as for the food, any modern cruise ship should have the ability to store three weeks of food and should have chefs who can alter the menu to account for the lack of fresh fruits and vegetables toward the end of the cruise.

I have nothing to base what you say is true or not true.  I just know that the same things the OP experienced during their cruise, I had a lot of the same on a different line.  

Except for the entertainers who are with you the whole cruise - the piano player, the house band and productions show cast...the comedians, ventriloquist, headliners are not employed for an entire 2+ weeks...they get on and off at different ports. On an Antarctic cruise there are ports the first couple days and the last couple days but a long stretch of sea days where they cant get on or off.  The ones we had on Princess said they were asked to come up with different shows during the cruise. I have no complaints on the entertainment, the variety of entertainment wasnt as diversified as the weekly cruises that Ive been on but I understand the reasons why.