Thoughts on the Amazon?

SophieM

We are thinking of booking an Oceania cruise that includes the Amazon next January. If you have done an O cruise that includes the Amazon, I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Cruise Critic moderator, please do not move this post to the South America board. I am specifically interested in hearing from those who have cruised the Amazon on Oceania. Thanks!

We very much enjoyed our cruise on the Amazon on Oceania Sirena - roundtrip Miami.....it was very hot and humid but loved it!  It was in October of 2018

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, basor said:

We very much enjoyed our cruise on the Amazon on Oceania Sirena - roundtrip Miami.....it was very hot and humid but loved it!  It was in October of 2018

So not in the monsoon season like January is, and of which the OP asked specifically about. 

Yes, there is a seasonal difference in weather patterns in October as compared to January.

• Thanks 1

Remember that Brazil will be requiring an E Visa by next year. They just waived the requirement for the next 90 days. Trust me, the process of obtaining the Visa was very frustrating. I would make that requirement a part of your consideration when considering this trip.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

So not in the monsoon season like January is, and of which the OP asked specifically about. 

Yes, there is a seasonal difference in weather patterns in October as compared to January.

Sorry - I misread, thought OP asked about doing a cruise up the Amazon not about the time of year... "If you have done an O cruise that includes the Amazon, I’d love to hear your thoughts!"

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The same old same old topics seem to constantly come up on these threads.  I knew there was one sometime last year so I thought I would do a search and find it for you.  Imagine my surprise when on finding it, the OP was one and the same poster as the OP of this thread.

Edited by aussietwo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/6/2024 at 5:57 PM, pinotlover said:

You do realize that January is the middle of the rainy season when the Amazon swells the most. Poor timing.

Definitely not the middle of the rainy season - more like the beginning for the river region of the Amazon. As someone who just returned from cruising the Amazon several days ago, I'd say January is actually a pretty good time to go there. No mosquito problem, tolerable humidity, plus no issues with the historically low water levels that disrupted river traffic in the 4th quarter of last year.  Not saying visiting during the dry season is a bad idea (other than the potential for low water levels causing some disruptions), but Dec-Jan is very enjoyable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2024 at 4:25 AM, aussietwo said:

The same old same old topics seem to constantly come up on these threads.  I knew there was one sometime last year so I thought I would do a search and find it for you.  Imagine my surprise when on finding it, the OP was one and the same poster as the OP of this thread.

Crikey, folks, my bad entirely. I have no recollection of posting last April. I offer my most humble apologies and appreciate my attention being called to this grievous mistake. 

Thanks to those of you who replied, especially mnocket and basor, for your words of encouragement. 

Jane

On 1/6/2024 at 10:55 PM, Steve Q said:

Remember that Brazil will be requiring an E Visa by next year. They just waived the requirement for the next 90 days. Trust me, the process of obtaining the Visa was very frustrating. I would make that requirement a part of your consideration when considering this trip.

Hi, Steve. Our Brazil visas are actually in process, as we were supposed to need them for a cruise in a couple of weeks, and we certainly share your frustration. We are thankful the Brazilian government came to its senses and postponed the requirement until after our upcoming cruise. Now, we just need for them to be approved before next January. 

13 hours ago, SophieM said:

Hi, Steve. Our Brazil visas are actually in process, as we were supposed to need them for a cruise in a couple of weeks, and we certainly share your frustration. We are thankful the Brazilian government came to its senses and postponed the requirement until after our upcoming cruise. Now, we just need for them to be approved before next January. 

At the rate mine is going I'm not sure I'd have them by then. Glad I don't need them. 

• Like 1