Bike ride on Uniworld Douro River cruise

ninaks

Has anyone done the Bike tour on the Douro cruise that you have to pay extra for with Uniworld?  I was wondering how difficult it is?  it lists it as strenuous but I would love to hear from someone who did it how hilly and hard it was.  I realize it depends a lot on your fitness level but wondering if someone with just average fitness level could do it.  thank you

• Like 1

What city is the bike ride in?  If Porto it is a hilly city.

I would think that if bike riding is not a daily / weekly activity of yours at home and in hilly areas - not just flat - then probably not for you.  "Strenuous" is a bit more descriptive than "demanding" and I would pay attention to that.

Posted (edited)

I did it, and it was great fun and very scenic. I would recommend it very highly. It is not strenuous, but you need to be comfortable on a bicycle. Most of the ride is along paved bike paths along the seaside. It goes down the coast on the other side of the river from Porto. The ride was about 13 1/2 miles overall and took about an hour and a half. Since you’re on an E-bike, the effort can be minimal if that’s how you choose to ride. There is a small portion of the ride that is along the streets with traffic and also on some cobblestones. 

IMG_7411.jpeg

Edited by bubbulz

Thank you @bubbulz!  We (my 2 brothers, their spouses, and my DH and I) are on that cruise in September and are avid bike riders.  DH and I (the oldest of the group) have 'graduated' to e-bikes and I was going to contact Uniworld to ask.  Why they don't include that in their descriptions is confounding.

• Like 1

I agree. Personally, I think the ride is perfect for anyone who is a casual rider. We had one woman who was not comfortable when she got on the bike and went for a test ride. She ended up opting out after she took a spill in the parking lot. (Thankfully, she was not hurt.) We also had one rider who obviously had a lot more experience and rode routinely. He kept riding far ahead, and that is not ideal either. It is meant to be a casual group ride along the seashore with multiple rest stops for water breaks, and a restroom break in the middle. The terrain is flat. All in all it was very enjoyable. 

@bubbulz - Can I ask whether you paid for the excursion in advance or once you were on the ship?  If it was in advance, were you able to use OBC?  We have $300 in OBC (which kind of infuriates me on a cruise line where almost everything is included and I would prefer a rebate or discount) and I'm wondering if we can use that to make the reservation in advance.  Thanks.

I don’t remember for certain, but I am pretty sure that I booked it when I was on the ship since I wanted to wait to see how the weather was. I also used my OBC for a massage and facial and I know a few people used theirs for premium wines. 

• Thanks 1