Southampton day tours.

Judyrem

I looked on Cunard and they only offer Winchester and Stonehenge tours. I have  been to both.

I am interested in the Highclere Castle tour from a TA site. 

I am concerned that I may not be back in time.  He does say he picks up from the Cruise port.

Would you chance it?

18 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I looked on Cunard and they only offer Winchester and Stonehenge tours. I have  been to both.

I am interested in the Highclere Castle tour from a TA site. 

I am concerned that I may not be back in time.  He does say he picks up from the Cruise port.

Would you chance it?

Absolutely not. The A34 is a nightmare. I wouldn’t go further than Hythe.

• Like 1

How long have you got in Port?  Although Highclere is only 45 mins from the terminal, as ex Londoner says the A34 is not a great road and every so often there are accidents on it that shut the road. Suppose it depends if you fancy taking the chance.

We had friends from US who stopped in Southampton on a transatlantic back to back and we took them here for the day.  

https://janeaustens.house

They loved it but unfortunately don’t think there are any organised tours so would need to get a cab there and back. Again it’s about 40 mins from the port but avoids the A34. Only takes an hour or so to go round the house but there is a nice pub in the village for lunch.  Anyway just a suggestion. Hope you find something interesting to do with your time on the South Coast 👍

Another great thing to do is go and visit the Mary Rose in Portsmouth but that does really need a whole day to fully appreciate it.

cheers 

Donald

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Graeme1873 said:

How long have you got in Port?  Although Highclere is only 45 mins from the terminal, as ex Londoner says the A34 is not a great road and every so often there are accidents on it that shut the road. Suppose it depends if you fancy taking the chance.

We had friends from US who stopped in Southampton on a transatlantic back to back and we took them here for the day.  

https://janeaustens.house

They loved it but unfortunately don’t think there are any organised tours so would need to get a cab there and back. Again it’s about 40 mins from the port but avoids the A34. Only takes an hour or so to go round the house but there is a nice pub in the village for lunch.  Anyway just a suggestion. Hope you find something interesting to do with your time on the South Coast 👍

Another great thing to do is go and visit the Mary Rose in Portsmouth but that does really need a whole day to fully appreciate it.

cheers 

Donald

But actually don’t you think there is more than enough to do in Soton, as well as exploring the almost empty ship?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Graeme1873 said:

How long have you got in Port?

As Southampton is a turnaround port and assuming that you are doing a B2B then you would have from approx 07:00 to 16:00

I'd be more concerned about the M3 than that section of the A34

Edited by david63
  • Like 1

We wouldn't be tempted to leave the ship in Southampton unless we wanted to shop for something particular.

However if you were intent on taking the Highclere tour then you need to ask the organisers what the driver will do if a particular route is blocked. There are many other alternative routes, which might take two hours or more. The A34 and M3 are not the only routes albeit they are the shortest and quickest if nothing is wrong.

Having worked in the bus industry you find drivers that think they need to stick to the specified route and possibly don't know any others. Or you have some drivers that know every possible alternative route and rat-run that will allow them to avoid all the traffic. The important thing is that the driver is aware of the dimensions of the vehicle they are driving and don't attempt to drive it under a bridge that is too low for the vehicle.

• Like 1

I agree with @exlondoner, there are options in Soton. In October I went to the Sea City Museum for the first time. I had seen the Titanic exhibit when it was somewhere on its own but hadn't got around to visiting the new museum. It's excellent, and not only for the Titanic part. And there's walking what's left of the city walls, a public park with some gardens. I haven't been to it yet, but there's an airplane museum, too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I agree with @exlondoner, there are options in Soton. In October I went to the Sea City Museum for the first time. I had seen the Titanic exhibit when it was somewhere on its own but hadn't got around to visiting the new museum. It's excellent, and not only for the Titanic part. And there's walking what's left of the city walls, a public park with some gardens. I haven't been to it yet, but there's an airplane museum, too. 

The Air Museum is very good. Also a Mediaeval Merchant’s House, and outstanding chocolate brownies (with a nice view of the docks) in John Lewis, West Quay. And you can always try a boat trip.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the info as much as I really wanted to visit Highclere I will just to have to save it when I have more time. I  try to go to the UK as often as possible.😀

The ship docks at 6:30 and some of the passengers will be disembarking.  She  will sail at 17:00.

I am sailing on to Hamburg because I have never been  and will spend five days there and do day trips then fly home.

I think I will use some of your suggestions, thanks!

Edited by Judyrem
Mistake
  • Like 2

I'm brand new to Cunard. I'm disembarking from the QM2 world voyage in Southampton at the end of April.

In my previous sailings with a different cruise line, I've usually taken shore excursions when disembarking, with airport drop-off at the end of the excursions.

When I booked my Cunard sailing, I noticed an option to include transfer from ship to airport, which I declined, as I'd prefer a shore excursion with airport drop-off.

When I go to My Cunard and check the Shore Experiences available at Southampton, there are no tours available. Is this the norm at Cunard, where the only available option is a direct ship to airport transfer? Or will a shore excursion with airport drop-off be made available closer to the sailing?

Thanks in advance for your insights.