South American eSIM options

PapaGoose

Hello Everyone 

DW and I will be boarding Sapphire Princess in February for a 14 night South American cruise. We will have the wifi package while onboard but would like data while in the various ports of call. We thought a Latin America regional eSIM would work for us but… Ports of call include Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and the Falkland Islands. Because the Falkland Islands are connected to the UK would we be better served getting a Global eSIM? The price doesn’t seem to be much different. As a matter of fact the Global eSIM seem to be cheaper than the Latin America Regional eSIM. We would like to hear from anybody who has had experience with eSIMs while travelling on a South America cruise. 

I have posted a similar question on both the South America page and the Cruising Technology page but so far most of the replies while well intentioned are not useful. Some post about the benefits of US mobile plans and US based eSIM packages and how cheap they are. As a Canadian I know we are at a disadvantage cellular wise but US plans and US eSIM packages are not what we need for a 14 night South America cruise. 

Maybe some of my fellow Canadians can share some South America eSIM advice?

Why is an US based e-SIM company not what you're looking for?  Does it matter where the company is based, since you can use them all over the world? 

My only experience with e-SIM has been with Airalo in Europe, and it worked very well at a reasonable cost. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PapaGoose said:

As a matter of fact the Global eSIM seem to be cheaper than the Latin America Regional eSIM.

If you can find a Global eSIM that includes all of your South American destinations plus the Falkland Islands that costs less than a Latin America Regional eSIM, that would seem to be a logical choice. I've looked at a (small) number of Global eSIMs, however, and none included the Falklands. You might have to buy that separately.

My one question would be why you would even want to have data while visiting Stanley. You are only there for the one day, and it's one destination where I would be totally focused on my surroundings. You're on a sea day following this port stop, with plenty of time then to send photos home or otherwise use your ship wifi package.

I guess I was thinking the 2 1/2 hour drive to and from Volunteer point might offer a little phone time. My understanding is a lot of the drive is bumpy and boring. Of course that would depend on reception out away from the large metropolitan Stanley area! 😜

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

Why is an US based e-SIM company not what you're looking for?  Does it matter where the company is based, since you can use them all over the world? 

My only experience with e-SIM has been with Airalo in Europe, and it worked very well at a reasonable cost. 

We plan on purchasing a Airola eSIM but…They aren’t giving advice on US based eSIM cards for South America. They were giving advice on how useful an eSIM is when visiting the US. It is not a priority for us to visit our friends south of the border in the near future. Been there done that and our dollar is taking a beating compared the almighty US greenback. It is a very big world out there and we are keen to see some new and exciting locations. Next stop will include penguins, some South American wine and a southern glacier or two…

53 minutes ago, PapaGoose said:

I guess I was thinking the 2 1/2 hour drive to and from Volunteer point might offer a little phone time. My understanding is a lot of the drive is bumpy and boring. Of course that would depend on reception out away from the large metropolitan Stanley area! 😜

A good portion of the travel to Volunteer Point is pretty much open, very rough fields.  We went via Land Rover and needed the 4x4 feature a couple of times.  I'd save your money, enjoy the scenery, watch out for sheep, and HANG ON:)  Volunteer Point is one of my favourite shore excursions EVER.  Enjoy it:)

On 1/7/2024 at 2:09 PM, Fouremco said:

If you can find a Global eSIM that includes all of your South American destinations plus the Falkland Islands that costs less than a Latin America Regional eSIM, that would seem to be a logical choice. I've looked at a (small) number of Global eSIMs, however, and none included the Falklands. You might have to buy that separately.

My one question would be why you would even want to have data while visiting Stanley. You are only there for the one day, and it's one destination where I would be totally focused on my surroundings. You're on a sea day following this port stop, with plenty of time then to send photos home or otherwise use your ship wifi package.

@PapaGoose,  I was at the Falkland Islands 10 days ago on the Sapphire Princess.

When doing trip pre-planning, I could find no eSIM package that includes the Falklands, and when I was in Stanley I understood why:  internet access is incredibly expensive there.  Public places (like the info kiosk/gift shop at the pier and the local supermarket) don't offer free wifi, and locals seem to treat mobile data as a precious commodity.   

I agree with @Fouremco that the Falklands is not the kind of place where one wants to stare at their phone, except maybe to take pictures of the surroundings.   So you'd need to wait till you get back to the ship (via tender) to connect.  The ship wifi is good in the Falklands. 

The wifi on the Sapphire Princess is surprisingly good this year, even in Antarctica (especially near research bases) -- unless you want to download or stream huge files, in which case you'll get throttling.   Last year, the ship wifi was worse than dial-up speed when it was working, which it mostly wasn't -- but Princess is now using Starlink.   We were thrilled with its performance. 

Depending on the amount of data and the eSIM duration you need, either the Airalo Latin American or Airalo Global eSIM are fine for the Sapphire Princess' itinerary.  Do the math for yourself and you'll make the right choice.

I bought the Global eSIM for a 365 day duration, at $69 USD, 20GB. Pretty good value compared to Canadian celcom roaming fees. 

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 2

For me, having a data connection is a bit of extra security for me, which makes me feel better....Should there be a problem or if I am separated from the group, I can still make a phone call or get other information.  Not everyone may share my same concerns, but for the extra few bucks, I'm more comfortable with it. 

• Like 1

@calliopecruiser , I agree, and for the same reasons you state. It's handy to have cell service in South American cruise ports, and it's relatively inexpensive using an eSIM that covers all of them -- except Stanley and the Falklands. 

Data eSIMs for just the Falklands do exist, but they're expensive and not likely to be well used for the 7 - 8 hours ashore.  

Thank you for the feedback folks! I was under the assumption that the Falkland Islands would fall under the UK and their coverage. Obviously I was wrong! Not the first time and certainly won’t be the last time either… 😉

I think I might purchase the 12 month Global eSIM with plenty of GBs so I can use it on any other trips we might take within the next year. 

Thanks again!

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 10:56 PM, PapaGoose said:

Thank you for the feedback folks! I was under the assumption that the Falkland Islands would fall under the UK and their coverage. Obviously I was wrong! Not the first time and certainly won’t be the last time either… 😉

I think I might purchase the 12 month Global eSIM with plenty of GBs so I can use it on any other trips we might take within the next year. 

Thanks again!

What company are you looking to buy your e sim?  Am going to Asia and am currently looking at Airalo for my world e sim. 

4 hours ago, Niavlys Ruofud said:

What company are you looking to buy your e sim?  Am going to Asia and am currently looking at Airalo for my world e sim. 

Airalo seems to offer the best deal for what we need as well. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Niavlys Ruofud said:

Directly from Airalo.  I've purchased eSIMs directly from them three times already and have been consistently satisfied with their products and service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

I just bought and used my second Airalo and has as good an experience as the first time.  Will do it again for my Panama Canal trip in April. 

We have used Airalo three times now - I think - but only data.  Anyone with experience adding voice using your home number and not a temporary number?

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Anyone with experience adding voice using your home number and not a temporary number?

I didn't know that was an option - I thought t was data only.  However, even with just data, you can make voice calls and send text messages with the WhatsApp app to other WhatsApp users.  Just get your friends and family to get What's App, even if only for the time you are away.  It's also very common in just about everywhere in the world except for Canada and the US (and maybe Aus/NZ), so if you want to text with people about reservations, etc, they'll be using WhatsApp. 

• Like 1