Solo Studio Booking?

Daruma

Hello, folks.

I'm looking into booking an additional, earlier, cruise than my current reservation on the Escape, April 13, 2025, in which I have a solo balcony. 

However, when searching for some shorter cruises in Summer 2024, leaving out of either Tampa or Orlando,  FL... despite selecting 1 passenger, I'm not presented with any Studio cabins on the Jade.

Does anyone know if this is because they are probably out of Studios, or just don't have them on the Jade at all?

Thank you very much for your help. 

Take care, 

Lou

Posted (edited)

The Jade does not have Studio cabins.  Those are only present on the Breakaway and later-class ships (edit: and the Epic which came right before them) 

Edited by macewank
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, macewank said:

The Jade does not have Studio cabins.  Those are only present on the Breakaway and later-class ships (edit: and the Epic which came right before them) 

Thank you.

I did book a solo balcony on the Jade leaving in a week. This is not a studio, but they do have solo cabins - think inside through balcony. Balcony was on deck 8 and is a hull balcony forward of the lifeboats.

1 hour ago, vswan said:

I did book a solo balcony on the Jade leaving in a week. This is not a studio, but they do have solo cabins - think inside through balcony. Balcony was on deck 8 and is a hull balcony forward of the lifeboats.

Non-studio “solo” cabins is a recent sales/marketing gimmick that NCL introduced in 2023. They exist on all or most ships in the form of inside, ocean view, or balcony cabins.  NCL suggests that these cabins allow for more affordable solo cruising.  However, the reality is that the pricing may or may not be less than when one person purchased a cruise in the past using a standard, non-studio cabin.  It’s not like solo cabins are always X% cheaper.  But, it’s nice to see us solo cruisers given a little marketing love for a change.  I’m not sure how often it will actually save me money, however. 

I am now a solo cruiser who prefers a balcony. Friends have too many " I can't right now" and solo gives me freedom. I have tried to hunt Cruise lines websites but you have to drill down in order to find if there are any (and usually they are all sold out) Norwegian is the only line that I could find after some searching which shows single balconies. Inside rooms don't work -I must have a window and prefer a balcony. Any tips? My husband and I loved being at sea, but since he is in heaven, I am now going solo.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, kbonasch said:

I am now a solo cruiser who prefers a balcony. Friends have too many " I can't right now" and solo gives me freedom. I have tried to hunt Cruise lines websites but you have to drill down in order to find if there are any (and usually they are all sold out) Norwegian is the only line that I could find after some searching which shows single balconies. Inside rooms don't work -I must have a window and prefer a balcony. Any tips? My husband and I loved being at sea, but since he is in heaven, I am now going solo.

I have an April 13, 2025 cruise on the Escape already with a solo balcony cabin... but was searching for a short, inexpensive, 2024 cruise out of Tampa or Orlando... the Jade popped up, but no solo studio/cabin options... apparently because, according to a poster above, they aren't offered on the Jade 🤷‍♂️

None of the ships sailing out of Tampa will have the Solo Studio cabins as newer ships can't fit under the Skyway Bridge. 

As was mentioned earlier, NCL has new pricing on all cabins for solo travelers. 

38 minutes ago, Daruma said:

I have an April 13, 2025 cruise on the Escape already with a solo balcony cabin... but was searching for a short, inexpensive, 2024 cruise out of Tampa or Orlando... the Jade popped up, but no solo studio/cabin options... apparently because, according to a poster above, they aren't offered on the Jade 🤷‍♂️

I think you read that wrong. No studio cabins & studio lounge but they should still the have solo inside, OV and balcony cabins available. They are regular cabins, just now designated as a sub-category.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, julig22 said:

I think you read that wrong. No studio cabins & studio lounge but they should still the have solo inside, OV and balcony cabins available. They are regular cabins, just now designated as a sub-category.

Correct.  The question I responded to was specific to Studio cabins.  There are no Studio cabins on the Jade (or any ship older than the Epic).

As of 1/1/24, NCL has opened up "Solo <x>" cabins within other stateroom types (inside, oceanview, balcony) on, I think, all ships?  It's just a fancy way of saying "no solo supplement" on the older ships, but on ships that have Studio facilities, those cabins grant access to the Studio area+lounge. Kinda neat.

Edited by macewank

On 1/7/2024 at 8:30 PM, MeHeartCruising said:

is a recent sales/marketing gimmick that NCL introduced in 2023.

Still better than what Celebrity is doing...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kbonasch said:

I'm in the same situation as you. Taking my first solo cruise in a week on the Jade. They do not have studio cabins or a studio lounge, but I was able to book the "new" solo balcony cabins. Would not have even known this option existed if I hadn't called my PCC to upgrade to a better ocean view cabin. Happened to call shortly after this option became available. Perhaps your PCC could help with this. Just a guess on my part, but I would imagine if they have open cabins close to sailing they would add more solo cabins into the mix to make sales.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kbonasch said:

Not sure if it's all NCL ships, but there are many now offering solo rates for balcony cabins. Previously you had to take a solo studio, but now they're offering solo rates on inside, oceanview, and balcony rooms. https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-accommodations/studios

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/solo-cruising?cid=PS_DIG_NA_BRP_GOO_NA_NA_NA_NA_NA_NAM&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA-vOsBhAAEiwAIWR0TdL-ZQOZd2_LO-P_RnYvnRnVbmnfYNNeQXELhzpfnDPLPQ5qlCGEfBoCkCQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hallux said:

Still better than what Celebrity is doing...

I called Celebrity- 5 cruises with them. Not at all helpful- said if they weren't listed on the site they weren't available - didn't seem interested in me remaining with them. Had some issues with their air and they didn't pick me up at the airport on a March 2023 Cruise- Some points that should have been awarded to me were given my husband's instead of me after he passed away. They refused to work with me so I didn't move up to Select which was the plan by taking the cruise.. Went on a very nice Norwegian cruise to Alaska 10 years ago. I was SO excited to chat with a someone at Norwegian yesterday- nice and informative.  Now to decide where to go several ideas in mind- Norwegian here I come!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kbonasch said:

I called Celebrity- 5 cruises with them. Not at all helpful- said if they weren't listed on the site they weren't available - didn't seem interested in me remaining with them. Had some issues with their air and they didn't pick me up at the airport on a March 2023 Cruise- Some points that should have been awarded to me were given my husband's instead of me after he passed away. They refused to work with me so I didn't move up to Select which was the plan by taking the cruise.. Went on a very nice Norwegian cruise to Alaska 10 years ago. I was SO excited to chat with a someone at Norwegian yesterday- nice and informative.  Now to decide where to go several ideas in mind- Norwegian here I come!

Be careful about booking air through NCL, it is a bit hit and miss judging from comments on this forum. I’m international so I deal with air and hotel myself as I’ve had fun explaining where my closest airport is even with business travel in the past. 

1 hour ago, kbonasch said:

I called Celebrity- 5 cruises with them. Not at all helpful- said if they weren't listed on the site they weren't available - didn't seem interested in me remaining with them. Had some issues with their air and they didn't pick me up at the airport on a March 2023 Cruise-

Go find some 'cruisetubers' (people reporting on cruise news on YouTube) - Celebrity is now charging solos MORE than two people would pay for the SAME CABIN.  Not a little bit, one was over 10% - I think the number was $3400 for a solo, $3000 for two...

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, hallux said:

Go find some 'cruisetubers' (people reporting on cruise news on YouTube) - Celebrity is now charging solos MORE than two people would pay for the SAME CABIN.  Not a little bit, one was over 10% - I think the number was $3400 for a solo, $3000 for two...

I think those are the numbers I heard on Cruise Radio's podcast. 

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

I think those are the numbers I heard on Cruise Radio's podcast. 

Celebrity can sail with less-empty ships for all I care.  I'll sail NCL, who welcomes solos with "open arms"...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hallux said:

Celebrity can sail with less-empty ships for all I care.  I'll sail NCL, who welcomes solos with "open arms"...

Exactly! It's a great policy NCL has...can you believe I just said that? Now, if only I cruised solo....it would be nice to have an entire stateroom all to myself! 

• Haha 1