What to do in Mazatlan?

splinkaone

On 2/7/2024 at 1:44 PM, pinto18 said:

I think you are thinking of Puerto Vallarta with the Walmart and Sam’s club ?

Oh snap. You're right! They're in PV. Shoot, what did we do in Mazatlan?  Maybe we really did stay on the ship completely that day. 

On 2/10/2024 at 4:01 PM, decrepit old man said:

What's an appropriate amount to tip the divers (El Clavadista)? I read they are very aggressive in demanding tips

You are right, they are aggressive.  I will usually give $5 - $10US (or $100 Mx to $200 Mx) if we are a couple, or $10 if we are two couples.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2024 at 8:06 PM, splinkaone said:

We’re almost to the point of just staying on the ship….. not interested in walking the blue line, or Stone island or a resort day pass, not into shopping, the city tours don’t sound too exciting either. It seems like that’s about all there is to do in Mazatlan. Is there anything near the cruise port worth seeing if we just want to get off for a short time? Are there any boat tours worth doing? We’re Snorkeling in Cabo, and zip lining in PV. 
Thanks for any suggestions 

While my wife and older daughter did a tour (via NCL excursion), my other daughter and I took a cab to Joe's Oyster Bar and set up on the beach there. We rented a table, umbrella and four chairs on the beach for $20 (US) and then rented a jet ski from one of the guys ($90 for 30 minutes) on the beach. We also ate there (solid, but not spectacular). Good beach, good waves, good place. If that's your sort of thing, it was a solid stop. Everyone was friendly and, to me anyway, weren't looking to rip me off. Even the cab rides (along the Malecon and through historic district) was interesting.

Edited by uwsid14
wrong price

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 9:04 AM, carohs said:

We took a pulmonía to Observatorio 1873 when we were there and had a great time. Worth checking out if you haven't been there before. 

Thank you!

I already have plans for my upcoming trip, but this is going on the list for the next trip.

We walked the Blue Line in MZ to the Cathedral, then along the most beautiful street to the ocean. We walked the Malecon to see a cliff diver, and then had lunch at El Singaloense de Mazatlan. It's right on the street across from the Malecon. Two story restaurant with amazing and local food, a nice sea breeze and views of the ocean. After all that walking, we chose to spend $5 to take a pulmonia ride to the Pino Suarez Market where we wandered and enjoyed seeing all kinds of meats, produce, chili peppers and souvenirs. We had a paleta from a little ice cream & popsicle shop that was really good. Then we took another pulmonia ride back to the pier area. It was the perfect day for us! We love experiencing local food, architecture, and culture and doing it on our own timeline. The volunteers on the Blue Line are SO helpful - we asked one where the closest public bathroom was and he recommended a bar 2 blocks away where we had great margaritas and got the lunch recommendation after talking to the bartender. Everyone in MZ was so laid back and friendly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We love Mazatlan too, it may not have the best swimming beaches, but all the people we met were awesome and we just ran around cheaply on the buses (very easy to figure out.)  After our very first cruise stop there, we decided we wanted to spend 12 days there in a hotel with kitchenette, and we shopped locally at the Soriana across from the Home Depot with a branch of our home bank just next door - so perfect.  That was last year's anniversary (41st) - we'll be back.