Flying in from Montreal to Miami

It is for the festive season later this year. I have the option of flying in on Air Canada to Miami at 645pm (two days before the cruise) or at 0700 the next morning on American (one day before the cruise)

I thought the option on Air Canada was better , however i have begun to hear so many stores that it would be better to fly in on the next morning at 0700am as less chance of delays etc especially due to weather.

Costs are insignificant as would be the airline.

My cruise i out of Fort Lauderdale but the flight timings are less favourable.

Anyone had any thoughts on flights at this time f year. Sorry for the questions we are from Australia so we have no experience on potential snow / winter related flight travel issues We are doing Xmas in the ski fields of Mont Tremblant prior in case there were questions on why we were flying from Montreal.

Thank you in advance for everyone's help.

I would always opt for one more night in Miami compared to an extra night in Canada.  Choose a downtown hotel where you can explore Miami dining and nightlife, and then make your way to PE the morning of your cruise.

• Like 1

Montrealer here. Given your choices of either a late night or early morning flight, I would also side with John and suggest the later flight at 6:45PM, if only to avoid having to get up VERY early in the morning to make a 7AM flight. Either way you will have two nights in a hotel pre-cruise, so you might as well maximize your time in Miami. Technically, you probably would not have two nights in Miami as you would be arriving after 11PM, so not much time to explore Miami the day you arrive anyway. If you do opt for the 7AM flight, I would suggest that you stay at the airport Marriott, which is physically attached to the Transborder terminal here at YUL, so your walk to the check-in counter will be extremely short.  Remember you will also be clearing US customs and immigration here in Montreal before leaving.

As to weather delays, they aren't as common as people think up here, and we never worry about them at all. We are flying in a few weeks to get on a Princess ship in Los Angeles. Flying three or four times a year, (and before I retired, dozens of times a year), I can't remember the last time I had a flight disrupted by weather. Aircraft mechanical issues however.....

And if you haven't been to Tremblant before, you'll love it. We've skied there for decades and know the hill and village very well. 

• Like 1

The one advantage to taking an earlier flight (going anywhere) is that typically those flights would be on time (excluding weather-related delays).  Flights later in the day could be adversely affected by other delays (eg. mechanical) that get compounded throughout the day.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, thon said:

The one advantage to taking an earlier flight (going anywhere) is that typically those flights would be on time (excluding weather-related delays).  Flights later in the day could be adversely affected by other delays (eg. mechanical) that get compounded throughout the day.

Edited by lx200gps

I would definitely stay two nights in the Miami area prior to your cruise. That way you pad in some extra time in case there are weather related issues traveling from Montreal and Miami.

4 hours ago, thon said:

👍 Early is the better choice if in poor weather season.

(BTW, leave the Ashes when you go.).

• Like 1

Yes, morning flights do typically have less delays because it is those stacking of delays later in the day that get you. But it is certainly still possible, especially if an outbound plane is late or not able to get into Montreal. 

The good thing about using Air Canada is you have more options to get you into Miami if there was weather in Montreal. Either way you have a decent buffer, but to me I would prefer to go with the evening before. Since you need a hotel regardless, evening before makes sense, more of a buffer, flying the airline that has a large base in Montreal as well. 

If you were flying the opposite direction my advice would be the same. Fly 12-hours earlier and flying the airline with the bigger operation in Miami. 

• Like 1