Japan Cruising on the Diamond Princess

Hi I have so many questions to ask for advice like anyone in a wheelchair who travels. The advice given makes for a more confident outlook on what’s ahead. I hope someone can help.

First off .We have an accessible cabin BC A300 on the Diamond Princess going out of Yokoshima on 6th May visiting Kagoshima,Jeju,Otaru,Hakodate and Kushiro .

Has anyone used a accessible cabin on Diamond as it looks like there is only one hand rest in the bathroom.How hard is that to negotiate as my wife usually uses two to be comfortable.

Also the restrooms around the ship, are they also one hand rail?

Secondly. On these ports of call ,has anyone done a Princess organised tour from the ship. I know a lot of these tours are not disabled friendly but there surely must be one or two to consider?

Thirdly. Are the shuttle buses used at any of these ports disabled friendly ?My wife can’t climb any steps but can transfer to a seat. 
Four and final for now . If these above issues are going to be a problem has anyone used a private hire car with driver for an excursion from these ports or even a taxi to get outside the port to an interesting area 

Thanks so much for reading this as we all know you have to cross the T’s and dot the I’s when  travelling with a wheelchair 

I am not sure about the hand rests.

In my experience, there will not be any wheelchair-friendly tours unless you organise them yourself. They use coaches that have three or four steps up to the seats. Shuttle buses are variable. Even in wheelchair-friendly Netherlands, we found that some had no ramp, while on others the ramp was very steep (okay going up but scary coming down). They also tend to be pretty crowded so there is less/no room for wheelchairs.

I suggest you pick the ports you are most interested in and research local providers. A private tour may be expensive, but If you can share with others, that could make it more affordable.

On the plus side, you do often get priority: At Embarkation, and at tourist sites where there can be long lines when a cruise ship is in town.

Of course, much may depend on the chair: We hired one at first, which was okay and convenient. We now have two chairs - a heavy and comfortable six-wheeler, and a lightweight folding chair that we can take on planes.

Edited by Bob++