E-Sim card for Asia

Hi, I will be travelling to Asia in February and I will likely buy an E-Sim card from Airalo.  As anyone used an E-Sim in Asia before and if so, how complicated is it to install and ensuring that my current Canadian service provider (Bell Canada) doesn't charge me roaming fees... Tks in advance 

1 hour ago, Niavlys Ruofud said:

Hi, I will be travelling to Asia in February and I will likely buy an E-Sim card from Airalo.  As anyone used an E-Sim in Asia before and if so, how complicated is it to install and ensuring that my current Canadian service provider (Bell Canada) doesn't charge me roaming fees... Tks in advance 

Easiest way is to take your Bell SIM card out of your phone once you leave Canada 

I have a Pixel 6 Pro currently running Android 14 (on a Telus plan) and installed an Ubigi esim for a European cruise last spring.  It's still loaded on my phone but flipped to inactive.  

When going into network settings and sim options, I can see both my Telus sim and Ubigi sim.  I have an option to toggle each sim on and off.  When in Europe, I just toggled my Telus sim off and the Ubigi sim on.  I suspect it would be similar if you are using an Android phone regardless that you are on Bell and buying an esim from a different provider but unsure if you are using an iPhone.

[And for some phones, you can get fancy by using two sims at once and assigning different functions to each sim (eg. one for data and one for voice calls & text messaging) but I don't think it's worth the complexity and risk of being charged for a day of roaming tho YMMV.]

Personally, it was handy for me to keep the Telus sim in the phone and just toggle it off because I had trouble with the Ubigi sim in one location (Zakynthos) so I just toggled on the Telus sim and paid the flipping $16 for a day of Easy Roam use.  And billing was accurate for me for the trip.  But yup, you can pull your Bell sim if you want to be extra safe.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Milhouse said:

I have a Pixel 6 Pro currently running Android 14 (on a Telus plan) and installed an Ubigi esim for a European cruise last spring.  It's still loaded on my phone but flipped to inactive.  

When going into network settings and sim options, I can see both my Telus sim and Ubigi sim.  I have an option to toggle each sim on and off.  When in Europe, I just toggled my Telus sim off and the Ubigi sim on.  I suspect it would be similar if you are using an Android phone regardless that you are on Bell and buying an esim from a different provider but unsure if you are using an iPhone.

[And for some phones, you can get fancy by using two sims at once and assigning different functions to each sim (eg. one for data and one for voice calls & text messaging) but I don't think it's worth the complexity and risk of being charged for a day of roaming tho YMMV.]

Personally, it was handy for me to keep the Telus sim in the phone and just toggle it off because I had trouble with the Ubigi sim in one location (Zakynthos) so I just toggled on the Telus sim and paid the flipping $16 for a day of Easy Roam use.  And billing was accurate for me for the trip.  But yup, you can pull your Bell sim if you want to be extra safe.

@Milhouse@Milhouse thank you so much.  You've explained clearly and in better words than an most websites how to proceed.  I have an Android (Samsung S22 ultra) and that's what I will do.  Cheers and thanks again

When I'm abroad I keep my phone plan (Virgin) on for voice, so that I can receive texts (for 2FA) and important calls as needed while using the eSIM for data. The important thing to do with this method is ensure that the "Roam like home" feature has been disabled and that you are on the a la carte plan. This may require you to call customer support, or communicate via the chatbot. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, starvenger said:

The important thing to do with this method is ensure that the "Roam like home" feature has been disabled and that you are on the a la carte plan.

That's a great tip!