Tipping

junieh

16 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

No hoops to jump through. 

Simple form readily available at guest services. 

I was behind someone at guest services on my 2020 Encore sailing who, I believe, removed their DSC entirely. 

It was 5:45am and the Atrium was empty (I was on my way to the gym) and the crew member didn't even ask why they were adjusting/removing the DSC. 

Just handed the guest a form and helped me while the guest filled it out. 

I will say that paying almost $1000 at the end is a lot. Maybe there should be a descending scale for the 3rd and 4th passengers in a cabin or a cap. 

I'm sailing Getaway in April for 10 days and my daughter will be the 3rd in our cabin so I've already budgeted that $600 plus I'm already putting aside singles and 5 dollar bills for additional tipping/bribing. Lmao 😂 

88 days and counting for me! 

Thank you. Others have said there are only certain days the desk is open and that the lines are very long. That is what I meant by jump through hoops. Although getting to the desk by 5:45 AM would be a bit of a hoop for me in and of itself  😂 

28 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

What difference would it make?  $5000+$1000 is still $6000.

UKStages is merely speculating.  He does make the point that not all the DSC goes in cash to the crew.  Some of it is spent on things that benefit the crew such as crew parties, etc.  

So, Once again, what difference does it make?

It does make a difference when marketing the cruise.  Two identical cruises on two different cruise line.  One is $5000 and the other is $6000. Most will not factor in the $1000.  The one charging only $5000 will siphon off business from the other.

BTW, the big issue is which would the crew prefer?  Most indications are the crew is very  happy with this system of compensation.  Why should it be changed just to make  you happy?

You just described what difference it makes. It’s false advertising. You hook people in by showing them lower fare, they look into the ports, the ship, what kind of airfare they can get, get excited to go on the cruise then bam, it’s actually 20% more! By that time they’re invested and want to go on the cruise. If they had seen the $6000 upfront, they may have looked at other options. Again, we know about tipping, and we expected to tip, but not 20% of the fare. 

Haven’t you ever heard the saying the customers always right? 😉😂

It’s not just me. The suggestion I made is all over this website, as well as other others. I have seen comments from crew saying they don’t get the service charge and prefer cash tips to a pizza party. You cannot assume what they prefer. But one thing is guaranteed, it’s good for NCL corporate or they wouldn’t do it this way.

Edited by ConcettaBonetta
Fixed a typo

3 minutes ago, ConcettaBonetta said:

If they had seen the $6000 upfront, they may have looked at other options.

this suggestion - all inclusive pricing - only works if all cruise lines do it.

similar to the airlines, they likely won't all do it without guv'ment regulation.

the "other options" would then be able to provide an apples to apples comparison.

Edited by UKstages

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

Considering the fact that cruise lines aren't having issues with filling the crew, it's not much of a speculation.

I don’t recall cruise lines having trouble filling the positions back in the cash in envelopes days, either 

1 minute ago, UKstages said:

similar to the airlines, they likely won't all do it without guv'ment regulation.

If they do include tips in the fare, people will suggest additional tips. Like times before the DSC.

2 minutes ago, ConcettaBonetta said:

You just described what difference it makes. It’s false advertising. You hook people in by showing them lower fare, they look into the ports, the ship, what kind of airfare they can get, get excited to go on the cruise then bam, it’s actually 20% more! By that time they’re invested and want to go on the cruise. If they had seen the $6000 upfront, they may have looked at other options. Again, we know about tipping, and we expected to tip, but not 20% of the fare. 

It’s not just me. The suggestion I made is all over this website, as well as other others. I have seen comments from crew saying they don’t get the service charge and prefer cash tips to a pizza party. You cannot assume what they prefer. But one thing is guaranteed, it’s good for NCL corporate or they wouldn’t do it this way.

I have no idea where  you're getting this  20%.  The DSC is approximately $20 PD/PP.  

You've not seen a single comment from the crew.  The crew does not post on this forum.  You may have seen hearsay from passengers but not actual crew.  The crew is very adept at telling passengers what they think the passengers want to hear.   If a crew member thinks they can get more tips, then you've very likely to get a made  up sob story.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 10:25 PM, IAcruising said:

I'm surprised it's even close to half. Tipping hotel housekeepers is a relatively recent thing in the US. I don't recall ever even hearing about tipping hotel housekeeping until, 10-15 years ago, maybe?  Could be longer, but it certainly wasn't a thing when I was younger, and now it's hard to get into the habit.

My parents always tipped housekeeping when we traveled in the 1950's and 60's. We always stayed at simple motels and hotels , nothing ritzy  She was born and grew up in Scotland ???? Dunno just know that she tipped.   She seemed to clean out her purse with every coin she could find lol. As a teenager that embarassed me

On 1/16/2024 at 3:48 PM, Smitheroo said:

I consider the DSC a fixed charge and would never consider removing it, so I dont consider it a tip. But if NCL actually wanted people to tip the dining room staff extra they would structure it so that  there werent so many different people coming at you.  (the way your are assigned one room steward who usually introduces his/herself to you at the start of the cruise) And its still possible to get yourself into a tipping situation if you desire by just asking for a particular waiter.  This is a little off the topic but not really, I'm traveling this cruise alone but some I travel with a male travel partner. (he is my son in law almost half my age, so its not like we are a "couple" )  I realized on this cruise that only once was I seated at a window seat meant for two people.  Yet when I am with my partner I would say at least half the time we are sitted at the tables for 2 by the window. I'm not complaining, just commenting. If I felt strongly about sitting at the window I would open my mouth and request it. But its an interesting observation, to me anyway. I've read women complaining they often get seated at less desirable tables in a restaurant. So may be on the ships they save those intimate tables by the window for the "couples" 

At the risk of being "off topic" I would like to update this comment I made. Just after I made it I got seated at the window at a table for 2 at the next 3 meals!!!

On 1/14/2024 at 12:59 PM, PartyPlannerLady said:

A tip is cash given AFTER service is performed to reward the degree of service.  A BRIBE is given before hand.  People give whatever amount they want to whomever they want, nothing else is relevant.

actually, I've read that "TIPS" stands for "To Insure Proper Service" so that would seem the logical way would be to tip ahead of time. I dont, just thought I'd add to the discussion with what I've read about the history of tipping

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

I have no idea where  you're getting this  20%.  The DSC is approximately $20 PD/PP.  

You've not seen a single comment from the crew.  The crew does not post on this forum.  You may have seen hearsay from passengers but not actual crew.  The crew is very adept at telling passengers what they think the passengers want to hear.   If a crew member thinks they can get more tips, then you've very likely to get a made  up sob story.

This isn’t the only forum on earth that talks about cruises. 🤦🏻‍♀️

And I explained the 20%. A 4-person family for a 12 day cruise is $960, when the fare for the cabin we chose is only $5,000. I realize this is unusual. Some people will spend a lot more on a fancier cabin but pay half the service charge because they have fewer people in it. Heck, I wouldn’t even mind it so much if it was a warm weather cruise with a lot of sea days and we’d be eating a lot of meals on board, going to shows, and watching or even participating in the poolside games. But when the ship is primarily a place to sleep and we will be off of it for the majority of 11/12 of the days, $960 is excessive 

8 minutes ago, ConcettaBonetta said:

This isn’t the only forum on earth that talks about cruises. 🤦🏻‍♀️

And I explained the 20%. A 4-person family for a 12 day cruise is $960, when the fare for the cabin we chose is only $5,000. I realize this is unusual. Some people will spend a lot more on a fancier cabin but pay half the service charge because they have fewer people in it. Heck, I wouldn’t even mind it so much if it was a warm weather cruise with a lot of sea days and we’d be eating a lot of meals on board, going to shows, and watching or even participating in the poolside games. But when the ship is primarily a place to sleep and we will be off of it for the majority of 11/12 of the days, $960 is excessive 

Why do you figure it is excessive?  You stil have four people in the cabin which must be cleaned daily.  You still eat most of your meals.  Would you prefer having a series of fees, ie, room cleaning fee times four, each meal would have a fee associated for each of your four guests, a pool side game fee, a fee for attending a show, etc.?  The bottom line is this, if you think you are paying too much, then there is no reason for you to continue to cruise.    

1 hour ago, ConcettaBonetta said:

Except for maybe the sleazy way they promote CruiseNEXT certificates, you seem to think you've been tricked. All of the charges are presented and you pay the bottom line.  I agree their banner advertising is misleading but anyone who reads can soon figure it out that all that is important is the bottom line and if you are willing to pay it or not.  We're talking about adults making decisions, not kids in a candy shop.  

7 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Except for maybe the sleazy way they promote CruiseNEXT certificates, you seem to think you've been tricked. All of the charges are presented and you pay the bottom line.  I agree their banner advertising is misleading but anyone who reads can soon figure it out that all that is important is the bottom line and if you are willing to pay it or not.  We're talking about adults making decisions, not kids in a candy shop.  

Actually, the majority of 'kids in a candy shop' would figure this out.  The issue is a matter of preferences.  Some adults believe the cruise line should advertise in the ways those adults would prefer.  The main issue is those adults have never run a cruise line but still imagine they are imminently qualified.

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Actually, the majority of 'kids in a candy shop' would figure this out.  The issue is a matter of preferences.  Some adults believe the cruise line should advertise in the ways those adults would prefer.  The main issue is those adults have never run a cruise line but still imagine they are imminently qualified.

I have to admit I did quite a bit of complaining in the beginning (about a year ago)  I dont think I felt quite as angry except for my experience with the CruiseNEXT certificates. I was told and soon agreed, forget all the advertising, choose what you want and decide if you like the bottom line.   There were several opportunities to "prepay the Service Charge" so any questions about that should have been asked at that point. What is the service charge they are offering me to prepay?   I think some people really need to use travel agents because they just dont take in everything they need to visually. Like the woman I described in another thread who didnt know she was supposed to pick a color tag for her luggage for disembarkation. I was like "how could she miss that?"   I read everything which is probably why I got so confused about all the advertising. You just get confused reading all the banners on the website

1 hour ago, ConcettaBonetta said:

Sounds like you probably need to find another vacation outlet.  You’re asking the cruise lines to save you from booking with them.

Just randomly pulled this up on the Wynn Vegas web site for per night rates.  This is before any tips for dining in their restaurants, tipping the concierges or the housekeeping staff, etc.

This should not be a surprise to anyone!

WYNN AND ENCORE RESORT FEE

A daily resort fee of $45 plus tax will be added to your room account

16 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I have to admit I did quite a bit of complaining in the beginning (about a year ago)  I dont think I felt quite as angry except for my experience with the CruiseNEXT certificates. I was told and soon agreed, forget all the advertising, choose what you want and decide if you like the bottom line.   There were several opportunities to "prepay the Service Charge" so any questions about that should have been asked at that point. What is the service charge they are offering me to prepay?   I think some people really need to use travel agents because they just dont take in everything they need to visually. Like the woman I described in another thread who didnt know she was supposed to pick a color tag for her luggage for disembarkation. I was like "how could she miss that?"   I read everything which is probably why I got so confused about all the advertising. You just get confused reading all the banners on the website

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Sounds like you probably need to find another vacation outlet.  You’re asking the cruise lines to save you from booking with them.

Just randomly pulled this up on the Wynn Vegas web site for per night rates.  This is before any tips for dining in their restaurants, tipping the concierges or the housekeeping staff, etc.

The real issue here is inflation.  The complaints about fees stem directly from the overall increase in practically everything.  It's not so much about advertisely as it is against how expensive everything has become.  It's a 'oh, you want more from me' kind of thing.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Now, I agree, that "resort fee" is maddening  But again, its obvious 

Just now, Smitheroo said:

Now, I agree, that "resort fee" is maddening  But again, its obvious 

Ummmm…had to dig it out of the tiny print when booking a room. Obvious because I already know they charge it.  That hotel charge doesn’t even cover a tip for a meal, or even a meal.  It’s just a charge.  You don’t see it until you check out.  And, it’s not removable.

So, I do get weary of the whining and acting like it’s a surprise.  It’s the cost of taking a cruise.  I would rather no about it than have it buried in the fare!

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Ummmm…had to dig it out of the tiny print when booking a room. Obvious because I already know they charge it.  That hotel charge doesn’t even cover a tip for a meal, or even a meal.  It’s just a charge.  You don’t see it until you check out.  And, it’s not removable.

So, I do get weary of the whining and acting like it’s a surprise.  It’s the cost of taking a cruise.  I would rather no about it than have it buried in the fare!

If it's buried in the fare it would be non-refundable in the event you cancel your cruise after final payment. As it stands now, it's refundable if you end up missing your cruise for some reason. Small consolation but it's something.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

The Resort Fee  doesnt show up with the estimated cost of the room?  Its supposed to cover all that goes along with using resort type activities, even when you dont use them. I refuse to pay it. Pretty hard in Las Vegas although I did find a hotel on Fremont St that didnt charge a Resort Fee.  That was back then, they may have given in.  Kind of like the Cleaning Fee for Air BnB's.  I suspected they got some kind  of tax advantage by charging inflated prices for that and I was right. Not sure exactly how it works but it helps them tax wise to have a big cleaning fee. 

3 hours ago, ConcettaBonetta said:

Thank you. Others have said there are only certain days the desk is open and that the lines are very long. That is what I meant by jump through hoops. Although getting to the desk by 5:45 AM would be a bit of a hoop for me in and of itself  😂 

As far as I could see Guest Services was open for a wide range of hours. True, the line can be long at times but there are times it isnt. It wasnt very long when I got on it the morning of disembarkation to check on a possibly lost item.  A crew member often goes down the line asking what your question is so perhaps that person would get the form for you and give it to you to fill out while you are standing in line.  Think about this. Do you really want to do this?  For a 5 day cruise we are talking about $100.I realize that's per person and it may be less painful for me because I'm only 1 person  If the reason is " it's not the money, its the principle"  I have to ask, do you think you will make a difference in the way NCL operates?   If I had a problem with the concept of the service charge I would choose not to cruise rather than removing it. I'm cringing just thinking about it.  The above was my experience on the Getaway a week ago. Of course it could be different on another ship or even the same ship at another time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

the "other options" would then be able to provide an apples to apples comparison.

Good point.  They all have their marketing and fare rules.  I like Celebrity as you can get a fare with tips included (among other things).  But, they bury the tips, internet, etc into the fare.  As such, the fare is much higher.

They all show an amount for service charges.  But, if you add in the service charge with the fare, that's the only really way to find out what the cost of the cruise is.  Add all of it together and you get the true cost of the cruise.  In all frankness, the way they divide it up doesn't really matter.  It's the final out of pocket you should look at.

13 minutes ago, julig22 said:

If it's buried in the fare it would be non-refundable in the event you cancel your cruise after final payment. As it stands now, it's refundable if you end up missing your cruise for some reason. Small consolation but it's something.

Another good point!

9 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

The Resort Fee  doesnt show up with the estimated cost of the room?  Its supposed to cover all that goes along with using resort type activities, even when you dont use them. I refuse to pay it. Pretty hard in Las Vegas although I did find a hotel on Fremont St that didnt charge a Resort Fee.  That was back then, they may have given in.  Kind of like the Cleaning Fee for Air BnB's.  I suspected they got some kind  of tax advantage by charging inflated prices for that and I was right. Not sure exactly how it works but it helps them tax wise to have a big cleaning fee. 

It shows the cost of the room per night.  And, the room charge changes.  You'll pay more (usually much more) on a weekend than you will on a Monday, for example.

The "resort fee" was buried in the very bottom of the reservation page, in tiny print.  IIRC, it doesn't show up until you check in and sign your registration.