booked a river cruise today and they tried to sell me cancel for any reason insurance, but I live in NY state

I know the NY State Commissioner of Insurance has ruled that cancel for any reason is not really insurance and has disallowed it to be sold in NY State. But Gate 1 Travel tried to sell their cancel for any reason insurance to me. Would it have been allowed or disallowed?

With third party comprehensive travel insurance plans, under some circumstances cancel for any reason benefits are allowed.  It also may be listed as “Cancel for Fortuitous Reasons” as well.  When it comes to travel insurance offered at poiont of sale or through a travel supplier, you need to be careful as to what you are purchasing.  Some may offer benefits called Cancel for Any Reason, but it may be offered by the travel supplier, not an insurance company.  In this case, reimbursement is typically offered in the form of a travel credit rather than your money back and may only be for a portion of the trip.  When coverage is offered it’s important to get the details of what is being covered and any requirements necessary to be eligible.