Cruiser Formerly Known As Cheapo Dad's Trip Report on Odyssey of the Seas Sailing to A Minus B Plus C Plus H Islands

8 hours ago, luvtoride said:

And if the wanna be Elton is on the elevator with his piano, I'm sure that will decrease the allowed number and weight of passengers.  I hear that Norwegian Air has started to weigh passengers and their carryon bags (on a "voluntary and anonymous" basis) on flights to achieve better weight distribution and estimates.  Is that next for RCI on ship elevators?!  LOL 🤣

Toward the end of the cruise, the elevator door refused to close as it kept saying “overload” even though we had way less than the number of maximum passengers and nobody in the elevator was a larger size person.  Not sure how accurate the weight scale is on the ship.

As for the piano man, I have a different video of a bunch of ladies inside with him in the elevator.  I’m sure their elevator should have gone above the threshold but the sensor never kicked in and they were able to close the door and left.

As originally designed as part of the “ultra” Q class, this yellow/orange sphere was supposed to be a bungy virtual reality thing but they discontinued that in early 2023 so now it’s just a sad space where they have bean bag toss there.

image.thumb.jpeg.e370f9fa75f80f45090dee89757cfe07.jpeg

Now the biggest attraction there is the glass walkway

image.thumb.jpeg.9634f1e138f98da097b13f8afb009ff0.jpeg

• Like 2

So, back to the cabin to cool off some more and it’s 5 something.  Do we go and take a shower and relax in a lounge playing some Trivia game or play Bingo?  Does that sound like us?  Of course not.  That’s not our style. 

We are getting off the ship again.  Yeap.  Since the ship is docked until 8 PM and “All Aboard” isn’t until 7:30, we are off to see the night scene of Curaaco I saw a few YouTube videos on the area and I want to check out the place.  Like I said, we cruise to see new things, not to relax.

5:39 time stamp photo.  No more ship cleaning crew as it was this morning.

image.thumb.jpeg.55507daed409874eac7f8a1e614e1097.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.51127943c12f70ec46d32ba1ddd0eec2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.451ca5a4112050101bda98314ad698ff.jpeg

• Like 2

I might have already said it but it’s good not to have a physical cruise terminal since you can take unobstructed photos of the ship

Most of the kiosks are now empty with the vendors already done for the day

image.thumb.jpeg.a622dc308374b760970209f3e550dd88.jpeg

Similar to Solvang in CA, they have these Dutch Clogs for tourists to take pictures

image.thumb.jpeg.4e0021b9e755c509b59cb8d5b5993eaa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c49302496ffaaf5a208c3a856440e9c8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.78ce89bda313827be681c5eff0e3ba9f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Part of the Rif Fort

image.thumb.jpeg.063b39bf4a4cf46e22f834d509697ac5.jpeg

The waves here are pretty strong so don’t get too close to the edge of the walkway as you might get wet with a periodic wave come crashing against the sea wall

image.thumb.jpeg.3e63c5f8d3fbca61e4959a8bc97e4b90.jpeg

Has anyone ever rented a TukTuk?  How far can you go on this thing and what can you see within the range?

image.thumb.jpeg.fbcaa3bea6b9aac93da8f0e4a3752e30.jpeg

• Like 2

Back to the shops and restaurants area of the Rif Fort.  I Saw Del Sol workers closing shop at 6 PM so many of the shops were done by 6 PM but the restaurants and and bars were still open.

image.thumb.jpeg.4f98cefbe9030834eec7a5d6deca2b71.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f31fea138df7cf2da7e024e08bddb828.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b1162cb9a1ddff4a7476c98b05e7ef75.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.83d84b1e4324c9b8184239bdbb367523.jpeg

• Like 2

In case I haven’t mentioned it, the Rif Fort was an original fort built to defend the city in the old Pirate days.  They re-purposed the fort to be a shopping/dining area for the tourists but they still kept part of the fort structure.

A lot of people go up on the top floor to take pictures of the area

image.thumb.jpeg.78dbd9296eb4bef9ea5bfddf1e829385.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.051d5c98f15fe808fde8c73206bf86b5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1d3dcf2e4618296628b054f209e50205.jpeg

This just reminds me of the Disneyland ride – Pirates of the Caribbean where you have the pirate boat attacking the castle during the ride.

Time to queue up the classic song from the movie with the famous 2Cellos guys.  92 million views and counting:

• Like 5

5 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Too bad on the small chance of the statue of Liberty view as it would have been cool to be at eye level or above the statue.

Not only are sail-bys the statue very rare, but it's also even more unlikely Northstar will be going up inside the harbor once underway.

• Like 1

Thanks for this awesome post!  We are sailing on Odyssey in 2025 and you’ve helped so much with deck 6.  

Do you happen to have a photo of the doors from the inside of two70 where you exit near the library to get back to the staterooms on deck 6?

18 hours ago, Coralc said:

Oh my gosh! 2 Cellos are excellent. You may have posted them first, but they are so fun. The pirate video is new to me. ☺️ 

Yeah, these guys are great.  They play modern music on cellos so it’s not just boring classical music whenever you think of cello players.

Whenever I watch their videos I wonder if they need a chiropractor afterwards from the way they swing their necks and body to the movement of the songs, they must be sore after every video shoot.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Not only are sail-bys the statue very rare, but it's also even more unlikely Northstar will be going up inside the harbor once underway.

Oh, well, too bad on not being able to see the Statue of Liberty from high above.  Guess the view of the NYC skyline from the NorthStar is the best you can do on boarding day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mamato5 said:

Thanks for this awesome post!  We are sailing on Odyssey in 2025 and you’ve helped so much with deck 6.  

Do you happen to have a photo of the doors from the inside of two70 where you exit near the library to get back to the staterooms on deck 6?

Thanks for reading along.

I noticed you have been with CC for almost 6 years and this is your first post in the forum – you must be a very quiet reader in the background.  I’m honored to have you come out and pose a question here.

I don’t think I took a picture of the door from the other side – shocking, huh?  Y’all must think I take pictures of everything…🤪

But it’s the same door from the other side except you open it from the side of 270 where you have to PUSH from the handle on the other side (see red arrow).  Both doors swing away from 270 and into the hallway of deck 6. They are VERY heavy so be careful If you have food or drink in your hand, you could be spilling it as you put your whole body into opening the door.

20231225_074425.thumb.jpg.5f56c6be0c8a1c81077009e67f7db6a9.jpg

The door is located next to the library on deck 6 (white arrow)

20231226_073731.thumb.jpg.4b4d780f971668e00ff2be261caf6ada.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, harryfat1 said:

Thanks for reading along.

I noticed you have been with CC for almost 6 years and this is your first post in the forum – you must be a very quiet reader in the background.  I’m honored to have you come out and pose a question here.

I don’t think I took a picture of the door from the other side – shocking, huh?  Y’all must think I take pictures of everything…🤪

But it’s the same door from the other side except you open it from the side of 270 where you have to PUSH from the handle on the other side (see red arrow).  Both doors swing away from 270 and into the hallway of deck 6. They are VERY heavy so be careful If you have food or drink in your hand, you could be spilling it as you put your whole body into opening the door.

20231225_074425.thumb.jpg.5f56c6be0c8a1c81077009e67f7db6a9.jpg

The door is located next to the library on deck 6 (white arrow)

20231226_073731.thumb.jpg.4b4d780f971668e00ff2be261caf6ada.jpg

I’ve absolutely loved every second!! And yes I’ve been a lurker here for a long time.  😅 

This really helps, thank you!  We’ve booked a GTY balcony cabin and I’m pretty much assuming we will be assigned deck 6 due to the sheer number of obstructed view balconies in that deck.  Trying to familiarize myself the best I can.  I also found your marked up deck plan helpful with the ‘blocked stairs’ issue. THANKS!!

Before I go on with the trip report, I forgot to mention we had Internet access for 2 days while in Curaaco and Aruba as we have Verizon cell phones and VZ credit cards, and as a benefit of the credit card, we receive 2 days of International phone plans for free.  And my younger son’s phone plans have hot spot data included, the rest of us just hop on his hot spot to access the internet for the 2 days while in port.

Even if we had to pay, it would have been $10/day for all of us to be tethered to one phone.  Good enough to check the email and send off a few pictures to people back home while in town.

CFKACD is not paying for ship-based Internet prices.

Anyway, Time to leave Rif Fort and continue to walk toward the bridge

image.thumb.jpeg.7fbee8d26ad91cfea48842c2dab3a5b0.jpeg

• Like 1