Early Booking Guidance/Tips

cruisegeek1974

Hi everyone,

Our family is leaning towards a first MSC cruise for Christmas break 2024.  My wife and I would typically book cruises around October/November, just a month or two prior to the cruise, and therefore we would pay for the entire cruise at that time.  This year we were thinking of booking something now and paying the refundable deposit.

I assume, like I've read on other cruise line message boards, that we should watch pricing as it approaches the 90 day full payment date for price adjustments/matching?   What happens if say a new special is offered like free drink packages or something like that, does MSC also offer you that if you contact them?  Or would you need to do a new booking?  Any advice on booking early directly with MSC, versus *****.com or another travel agent?  Does that make any difference?  On our past cruises we have booked with *****.com or a travel agent, never directly with the cruise line.

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

Cruise Critic rule #1:  you must not name travel agencies/agents, discuss or ask advice about them.  Maybe it’s time to review the guidelines.

MSC rule #1:  once you have made your booking, do not mess with it.  Be happy with what you booked.  Trying to change anything can mess your booking up big time.  EM

Just a warning.  If you make a booking before final payment and pay the “fully refundable (before final pymt)” deposit, DO NOT purchase the Travel Insurance until right before final payment.  The insurance policy only has a 30-day cancellation (in most states) and your deposit will be reduced by the insurance amount if you decide to cancel your booking.

• 1 month later...

We received the early booking discount and one $50 OBC as my wife has silver status from Voyager matching.  We had thought the $50 OBC was for everyone in the cabin, but I think it's for every person that is silver status I assume.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisegeek1974 said:

We received the early booking discount and one $50 OBC as my wife has silver status from Voyager matching.  We had thought the $50 OBC was for everyone in the cabin, but I think it's for every person that is silver status I assume.

Yes, I was wondering at what point we would see that.  IIRC, it took a few days for the booking to reflect it, but I am not sure if they send a new confirm doc or do I have to request it.  We are both Gold, so should get them for each person.