Not sure about dates or total cost of the trip, but need to buy insurance, what is the process?

I just paid a deposit for a cruise about 1.5 years from now and at this point I just know the cost and dates of the cruise. I will also need to buy air tickets and most likely will have a week of land vacation before or after the cruise. Should I just put the dates of the cruise for now and then start adding dates / costs as I make reservations or try to guess the dates and total cost (very hard to do) now?

Thanks,
George

16 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

I suggest you just insure the deposit. As you make non refundable payments or payments towards the cruise, you can notify the insurance company and increase the insurance coverage.

I do not think it will work with insuring pre-existing condition. My understanding that you need specify at least full price of the cruise.

3 minutes ago, GeorgeL said:

I do not think it will work with insuring pre-existing condition. My understanding that you need specify at least full price of the cruise.

I have done this for several world cruises. This is an acceptable strategy per my insurance broker. I purchase through another company that has participated in this forum in the past.

1 hour ago, sandiego1 said:

I have done this for several world cruises. This is an acceptable strategy per my insurance broker. I purchase through another company that has participated in this forum in the past.

Thanks!Will check it out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeorgeL said:

This is *not* correct, for at least several insurance vendors and policies. as long as it is started within 10-20 days of making the very first payment (depends upon state).

And then the same to add additional payments to cover additional non-refundable trip costs as those are made.

Please contact by *phone* an insurance agent or broker, to make sure you understand the conditions AND they understand your situation to best be sure your situation is in compliance with whichever policy you get.

The "fine print" can really matter.

We have done this exact process on many occasions through TripInsuranceStore, and never had a problem with any of our claims (including several large ones).

GC

5 hours ago, GeorgeL said:

This policy is regulated by each State. There are a couple of policies that can be sold in Washington State that don't require the entire trip to be covered and still waive pre-existing conditions. I can't speak for Cali.

You can insure the prepaid non-refundable cost you paid so far as well as the known trip dates.  As you make subsequent payments and add additional legs to the trip, you can update the policy to include them.  As you increase the trip cost and/or trip duration, the cost of the policy could increase.  One important thing to remember, if you have certain time sensitive benefits included on your policy, such as the pre-existing condition waiver or Cancel For Any Reason (to name a couple), you need to insure any subsequent payments right after making them.  It’s important to know the ‘time sensitive period’ for your plan – typically 10-21 days after making the payment.  If you wait too long to add a subsequent payment or extend the dates of your trip, you could lose certain time sensitive benefits.  Good rule of thumb, if you make any updates to your trip your next call should be to update your insurance policy.

• Thanks 1