Crystal Symphony, Mumbai to Athens - or is it?

Dog-man

I asked my travel agent what the plans for the Singapore to Athens Symphony cruise starting next month.  Crystal replied with an updated itinerary which added a stop at Jeddah on April 2, deleted the 2 days in Jordan, substituting Sharm el Sheikh on Aoril 4 and Ain Sukhna on April 5.

• Like 1

On board now even officers claim (I believe them) they have no idea. 
I do know the Mumbai to Athens cruise is very lightly booked (under 100) and first Athens Med cruise around 400. If I had to choose it would be pretty easy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubaaz said:

I asked my travel agent what the plans for the Singapore to Athens Symphony cruise starting next month.  Crystal replied with an updated itinerary which added a stop at Jeddah on April 2, deleted the 2 days in Jordan, substituting Sharm el Sheikh on Aoril 4 and Ain Sukhna on April 5.

According to a guest booked on this cruise, this is old news; not a new change. 

• Thanks 1

I think they would probably like to do it simultaneously, but as they appear to have already told Manfredi and Geoffrey Kent that their presidents cruise is cancelled (aka ‘waitlisted’), then it would be useful if they would tell their passengers on Symphony’s Mumbai to Athens sailing the same. Then we can all make whatever arrangements are necessary. 

The distinct lack of any communication is hardly the dialogue with their guests that they claimed when they issued the holding statement.

Crystal’s Top 5 Playlist in The Avenue Saloon tonight are:

1. Our Lips Are Sealed by the Go-Go’s

2. Silence is Golden by The Four Seasons

3. The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel 

4. It’s Oh So Quiet by Bjork

5. Road To Nowhere by Talking Heads

🎹🎹🎹

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Silversea has just cancelled their Silver Whisper cruise Mumbai to Athens sailing on March 20th.

Our TA spoke to Crystal less than an hour ago and were given the same rubbish reply of assessing the current situation. 

So, come on Crystal, get your act together and give people on Symphony cruises in February and March some proper information. Your current treatment of passengers is truly appalling.

• Thanks 1

As far as I understand, Crystal has explained that they are working on alternatives. Crystal has provided a letter about that. They have explained that they have to work on visas for the crew for alternative itineraries, logistics, etc. It is not easy and they have said that as soon as they have worked out the alternative, they will communicate.

it is very hard for the company. They are not just sitting around hoping that a miracle happens. 

I am empathetic towards those affected. It is also not easy for those who have to flight to ports and do not know what to do. I wish that this information comes soon to give you peace of mind. 

Ivi

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

As far as I understand, Crystal has explained that they are working on alternatives. Crystal has provided a letter about that. They have explained that they have to work on visas for the crew for alternative itineraries, logistics, etc. It is not easy and they have said that as soon as they have worked out the alternative, they will communicate.

it is very hard for the company. They are not just sitting around hoping that a miracle happens. 

I am empathetic towards those affected. It is also not easy for those who have to flight to ports and do not know what to do. I wish that this information comes soon to give you peace of mind. 

Ivi

This is hardly a recent event. Other cruise companies were cancelling itineraries in this region as far back as November. As I have said on previous occasions the intelligence situation both open source and governmental for shipping in the region has also existed for a long period of time, hence the reason we now see so much shipping sailing around Africa.

The president’s cruise, (part of the Mumbai to Athens voyage), shows as waitlisted, indicating some decision has already been made. 

The Crystal letter, (holding statement) has had no follow-up and there has certainly not been any dialogue with affected guests as alluded to.

If Crystal have a communication strategy in relation to this issue then it can only be described as woeful. Other cruise companies have managed to make the necessary changes and give their passengers options. It really isn’t too much to ask that Crystal get their act together and do the same.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

They have explained that they have to work on visas for the crew for alternative itineraries, logistics, etc. It is not easy and they have said that as soon as they have worked out the alternative, they will communicate.

DING DING DING.  Winner.

This isn't like just driving to another road if your planned route has an accident.  Many pieces need to fit together, and crew issues are just one of them.  For example, crew leaving the Serenity in San Diego had to be bussed up to LAX for their flights home -- why didn't Crystal just fly them out of SAN.  Because of visa issues and immigration restrictions.  Also, provisioning isn't just a matter of pulling into port and heading for the local grocery store, even if there are no passengers aboard.  And you don't just enter a port and say "Fill 'er up with high-test".

Thought problem:  Would you rather that Crystal give you preliminary information and have to change it one or two times along the way, or instead have a complete package of information and alternatives in one fell swoop?  I know my choice.

• Like 5

Crystal sent this to my travel agent this morning.

We are reviewing the options regarding the Red Sea itineraries and will release more information once any modifications are finalized.

• Thanks 1

We all need something to “cluck”  about. We are on Symphony now until Mumbai. We could get kicked off in Singapore. No big deal. Change our air and get a cruise credit. 
I do pity the poor folks booked Mumbai to Athens. But there are way less than 100 of them. Hope they haven’t packed there bags because they are not going to sail. 
Of bigger concern is yesterday announcement you can get a 20% discount on 25 cruises if you pay in full now non refundable. Means they need cash. Not a good sign. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

Of bigger concern is yesterday announcement you can get a 20% discount on 25 cruises if you pay in full now non refundable. Means they need cash. Not a good sign. 

Beg to disagree.  IMO, this is more likely a move to get people to "lock in" their travel plans with Crystal, rather than deal with folks being able to bail at shorter time frames.  Because those cabins that open up at the "last minute" are harder to resell.

Note how all the major hotel chains offer non-refundable room rates -- they choose to give up some income in exchange for getting locked in business. Ditto with rental cars.

Would love to have Vince put in his two cents worth.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

If they "need cash", they would not have also offered a 10% refundable option.

Virtually every cruise line is now offering some variation of refundable/nonrefundable deposit options, with the nonrefundable offering significant discounts. And let's not even talk about Viking Ocean, which requires payment in full a year in advance! It is subject to normal cancellation fees, but it is still a year in advance!

• Like 5

In a discussion with some folks, we tossed out another way of looking at things.

Rather than starting with a base of prices being refundable, how about thinking of base prices as non-refundable or long-term, with the ability to cancel for refunds being a fare for an additional premium.

I note that Delta will sell you a ticket that is refundable to a flight credit for X dollars.  But then, they offer you a buy-up of X+Y to get a ticket that is refundable to your original form of payment. 

When you think about it, it's two sides of the same coin - depending on if you view as a discount or a premium.  Hmmm.

Hope you are all right and I am wrong although with light passenger counts and an unplanned cancellation or two coming up hard to think they are flush with cash. In the meantime we are enjoying Symphony very, very much. Just booked three more cruises this year. 
As we are in our mid 80s and no longer buy green bananas paying 18 mos in advance non refundable is not very appetizing no matter how big a discount. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

As we are in our mid 80s and no longer buy green bananas paying 18 mos in advance non refundable is not very appetizing no matter how big a discount. 

Which is a very reasonable position to have in your circumstance.  I've got significantly less life experience, good health, and a strong risk tolerance -- so evaluating and buying non-refundable travel products has been more in my wheelhouse.

As a wise individual wrote - choice is good.  I always believe in helping folks to make informed, intelligent decisions.

• Like 4