Wine question- Europe Cruise

Xmansmom

Can we bring back a bottle or two of wine when returning to the ship? If so, do they hold them till the end of the cruise or can we drink onboard? IF it matters we have the drink package and are cruising in Europe.

if you have the drink package, there is no corkage fee and you are allowed to bring wine and champagne on board at embarkation, for sure.

i can't imagine why it would be any different when returning from port, but i've never seen the question posed specifically like this...  NCL's own liquor and beverage FAQ does not mention any prohibition about wine or champagne being brought onboard in port.

On our last cruise from Europe to the US (Viva, Nov 23), we brought several bottles on board with no issue or questioning. We did have the drinks package,so that waived any possibility of corkage. 

if one thinks about it, if you have the drinks package, you’ve prepaid for any alcohol consumed from NCL’s onboard stores. If you want to bring onboard your own alcohol in addition to the drinks package, it works in NCL’s favor to let you. If you’re drinking your own wine, you’re not depleting their inventory …if you already paid for it but don’t drink it, it’s a winning proposition for NCL.

you should check the alcohol importation laws for your return to the US and or wherever you disembark to make sure you’re within those limits or meet their requirements (which may include paying fees).

Edited by ColdCruise
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

On our last cruise from Europe to the US (Viva, Nov 23), we brought several bottles on board with no issue or questioning. We did have the drinks package,so that waived any possibility of corkage. 

if one thinks about it, if you have the drinks package, you’ve prepaid for any alcohol consumed from NCL’s onboard stores. If you want to bring onboard your own alcohol in addition to the drinks package, it works in NCL’s favor to let you. If you’re drinking your own wine, you’re not depleting their inventory …if you already paid for it but don’t drink it, it’s a winning proposition for NCL.

you should check the alcohol importation laws for your return to the US and or wherever you disembark to make sure you’re within those limits or meet their requirements (which may include paying fees).

Thanks. We are staying in Venice for a few days after the cruise. So if I can bring it back to the AirBNB then I should be good. If I can also consume onboard great. Just thinking one of my excursions includes a wine tasting so if I like I will buy some.

On 1/14/2024 at 4:55 PM, Xmansmom said:

Thanks. We are staying in Venice for a few days after the cruise. So if I can bring it back to the AirBNB then I should be good. If I can also consume onboard great. Just thinking one of my excursions includes a wine tasting so if I like I will buy some.

I think NCL counts on passengers buying wine on their excursions with wine tastings, otherwise it might indicate the pax aren’t satisfied with the choice of destination.

On 1/14/2024 at 1:20 PM, zqvol said:

If you bring back wine from a port, the policy is that it is held until the last night of the cruise. You cannot consume it during that cruise.

I have never had my wine (or beer for that matter) held. Only the hard liquor is kept in storage until the last day.

With the drink package, your bag of wine will be flagged when you get back on the ship at security. Just show them your card which shows you have the drink package and you can take it to your room. Only the hard liquor will be held back. 

We've done this many many times, both at embarkation and at ports of call. Wine, cans of beer.... all fine. Only the booze was kept.