B2B cruises and an unrelated cell phone question

KarenRB

Just booked my first B2B cruises (squee!) and have three questions.

• I'll have enough Latitudes points to be Gold after the first cruise.  I booked the second cruise first months ago so my reservation for that one currently says Silver level.  Will my level automatically get updated after the first cruise?  Asking because the second cruise is 11 nights so I'd definitely use the half off laundry benefit.
  • Any reason to link the two cruises?  I won't have any OBC.  
  • Wasn't able to get Vibe tickets for either cruise. Would I be able to get a Vibe pass before the second cruise while I'm still on the first leg?

Unrelated to this, with my Verizon plan, I have cell service in Mexico for $5/day.  Hope this isn't too Luddite a question.  Do I physically have to be off the ship or is it just necessary to turn roaming off?

Thanks

Your level might not update for a day or 2, so go to the CruiseNext desk to get it updated in the system, they should also give you a new card.

Depends on what you mean by link. I personally wouldn't link the cruises (as in put them under a single reservation) - that could affect your plan to use the 50% off laundry, plus if for any reason you need to cancel 1 of the cruises you'd have a problem.

Can't answer your vibe question - sorry!

As to Verizon, probably works the same as most plans.  On/off the ship doesn't make a difference.  It's whether or not you are near a cell tower.  So it would probably activate as you near shore, depending on location.

VZW has an excellent international / global support desk - call & speak to them directly about your plan & usage in Mexico and the proper settings, specific to your device(s) ... left VZW's discounted corporate plan over a decade ago, hasn't look back but they have very good roaming coverage partner in Mexico & Canada, texting & calling shouldn'be be expensive at all, check about data roaming or whether it's included.  Your account might need to be enabled or activated before you embark ... generally speaking, you need to turn ON roaming coverage once within signal range of local cellular towers.  Onboard and at sea, you want to turn on Airplane Mode, and use ship's free WiFi only, whether it's the free inTRAnet onboard or the paid inTERnet coverage over satellite.  

Somewhere in your MyVZW account, there should be a section dedicated to "tweaking" your device settings to optimize use when traveling abroad, do take a little time to go thru & get familiar with it. 

4 hours ago, mking8288 said:

VZW has an excellent international / global support desk - call & speak to them directly about your plan & usage in Mexico and the proper settings, specific to your device(s) ... left VZW's discounted corporate plan over a decade ago, hasn't look back but they have very good roaming coverage partner in Mexico & Canada, texting & calling shouldn'be be expensive at all, check about data roaming or whether it's included.  Your account might need to be enabled or activated before you embark ... generally speaking, you need to turn ON roaming coverage once within signal range of local cellular towers.  Onboard and at sea, you want to turn on Airplane Mode, and use ship's free WiFi only, whether it's the free inTRAnet onboard or the paid inTERnet coverage over satellite.  

Somewhere in your MyVZW account, there should be a section dedicated to "tweaking" your device settings to optimize use when traveling abroad, do take a little time to go thru & get familiar with it. 

Thanks!  Very helpful.

verizon has different plans; for many people, most international coverage is ten dollars a day, with canada and mexico being free. are you sure mexico is $5 a day under your plan? might want to check with verizon to see if you're on the right plan or whether it makes sense to change plans... just for a short time while you're cruising.

in any case, you need do nothing, provided you're already enrolled in whatever form of international coverage comes with your plan. all you have to do is turn on the phone and make sure airplane mode is disabled.

generally, if you can see land from the ship, you're close enough to get a signal, albeit sometimes a weak one. in port, you can use the phone while on the ship, provided the phone can get a signal. bear in mind, deep within the bowels of the ship, you often can not get a signal. stairwells and heavy metal walls sometimes obstruct the signal. this is where balcony cabins come in handy! or the pool deck. or the vibe. if you have a signal, you can often use the phone at sail away for a good 45 minutes or an hour, as long as you're close to land. remember to put it back on airplane mode when you no longer have a signal!

with regard to the vibe, you will not be able to purchase vibe passes for the next cruise while on the previous cruise. the second sailing is not yet "open" for reservations. their system simply doesn't allow that. however, there are many reports, including some from me, of vibe passes being available on embarkation day. generally, they're sold at a desk set up near the restaurant reservations desk... on some ships, this means just outside headliners or the social or teppanyaki. on a back to back, you'll be onboard before most other people, so, provided they are selling passes on the day, you're virtually guaranteed to get one. for your first cruise... same thing... board as early as possible and head straight to where they're selling vibe passes and try to snag one... or however many you need.

congrats on hitting gold... yes, the cruise next desk should be able to see it on the morning of the second cruise and should be able to update your status and make sure you get whatever benefits you are due.

6 hours ago, KarenRB said:

Unrelated to this, with my Verizon plan, I have cell service in Mexico for $5/day.  Hope this isn't too Luddite a question.  Do I physically have to be off the ship or is it just necessary to turn roaming off?

Probably not. You may not have service in some areas of the ship. If you have a balcony you should be good to go. An inside, go up on deck or to a quiet area of the Garden Cafe or somewhere your cell phone will work. The usual rule is up to 12 miles out to sea. 

Dont forget if you visit an American port, San Juan, St Thomas, St Croix, you dont need an Intl plan on those days. It's just like being in another state. 

Edited by sailingships

Just was in this scenario.  NCL linked the cruise. They will ask you to confirm and then send instructions to your cabin on how to go through immigration but then you can immediately return to the ship. When I rolled over to gold status they sent a congratulatory note and some treats to my cabin. I did get a note about 50% off laundry but I didn't note if that was due to gold status or just a special they were running.