My wife and I are first-time cruisers, and we're really torn between two itineraries. Help us choose?

We're both in our 30s, but we're looking for a more relaxing cruise rather than a party atmosphere. Neither of us drink so drink packages and such don't matter, I am a bit of a foodie and I'm also celiac, so both of those food aspects are important to me. My wife loves the beach, so ports that have a built-in beach are a bonus, but we are also looking to do 2-3 excursions (like 2 if we do the first itinerary, 3 if we do the second, since we've already been to Puerto Plata and Labadee isn't really an excursion port). Both sail out of Fort Lauderdale.

Cruise 1)

Celebrity Eclipse (Balcony), Dec 14-22. Ports are Labadee, Puerto Plata, St Thomas, and St Marteen. Day at sea, 4 port days, then 2 more days at sea. Cost (incl. tips) $3,058 CAD (with $200 USD OBC)

Cruise 2)

Enchanted Princess (Guaranteed Inside), Dec. 20-30. Ports are Princess Cays, St. Thomas, St Maarten, Antigua (on Christmas Day), St. Kitts, and Tortola. Port day, day at sea, 5 port days, 2 more days at sea. Cost (incl. tips) $3,240

Notes: With Celebrity, the day we're in St. Thomas will have 5 other ships, while with Princess we'll be the only ship. St. Kitts will have 6 ships that day, which could obviously impact things. Other than that, every other port day there will be 1-3 ships (including ours). 

Including the OBC, which will help pay for gratuities, the cost difference between the two is roughly $450 CAD. I haven't calculated any potential price differences in flights, but I assume it'll be roughly even.

The main things we're discussing and hung up on are:

1) Will the Princess be significantly more crowded because it runs over Christmas and many kids will be out of school? Will it be crowded to the point that it makes the trip less enjoyable?

2) I know a balcony is better than an inside stateroom, but my research leads me to believe overall the Enchanted Princess is a "better" ship than the Celebrity Eclipse (we especially like the idea of the movies under the stars). What is the likelihood of us getting an upgrade on our guaranteed cabin? And if we do stay in an inside cabin, what's the worst cabin we could be put in - and how bad would it be? 

3) Assuming we don't get upgraded, what would you say is the better cabin/ship combo - Celebrity Eclipse Balcony, or Enchanted Princess Inside? 

Thank you for all your help and suggestions!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I have not been on those cruiselines or to Caribbean ports, but I can tell a little story: When we looked at cruising the Panama Canal, I said "We can get a balcony on this older NCL ship for the same or less than an inside on HAL." In the long run I regretted it! It was so hot and humid, we only used the balcony for the first half of the Canal before we were driven inside! and never used it the rest of the trip. The ship was shabby and the crew was sullen!

Of course I am not predicting those conditions for the C.Eclipse! 

But I think I would pick the Enchanted Princess for longer cruise and FIVE new ports (not counting private island). I do not think she will be over-run by children. As far as chance and improving chance of upgrades, you should browse and post on the Princess board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/

Also for the ports, most or all have their own sub-sections, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/456-caribbean/

I am guessing Christmas in Antigua will be best for a beach day...

Good luck deciding and have a great cruise!

19 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I have not been on those cruiselines or to Caribbean ports, but I can tell a little story: When we looked at cruising the Panama Canal, I said "We can get a balcony on this older NCL ship for the same or less than an inside on HAL." In the long run I regretted it! It was so hot and humid, we only used the balcony for the first half of the Canal before we were driven inside! and never used it the rest of the trip. The ship was shabby and the crew was sullen!

Of course I am not predicting those conditions for the C.Eclipse! 

But I think I would pick the Enchanted Princess for longer cruise and FIVE new ports (not counting private island). I do not think she will be over-run by children. As far as chance and improving chance of upgrades, you should browse and post on the Princess board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/

Also for the ports, most or all have their own sub-sections, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/456-caribbean/

I am guessing Christmas in Antigua will be best for a beach day...

Good luck deciding and have a great cruise!

Thank you so much! I have been browsing the individual port boards, I've even got a spreadsheet with notes on each port (I'm very thorough when it comes to planning things like this).

My gut instinct is that the ship is more important than the cabin, but I've seen a lot of other commenters basically saying "balcony or bust" so that's left me conflicted.

We have cruised on both Princess and Celebrity during school holidays and there were not many children on either.  Both lines offer a relaxed and laid back experience with great food. My husband has food allergies and Princess does an exceptional job of making accommodations. 
I would pick the Princess cruise based on the fantastic itinerary.

You really can’t go wrong with either of these choices! Happy cruising! 

• Like 3

if neither of you is a teacher, I would strongly recommend NOT sailing during a school break. The price is always so much higher.... Since we have a school aged child we are severely limited to school breaks, otherwise, I'd save a ton. The number of kids really depends on the length of the cruise and a specific holiday. We usually sail during Thanksgiving for 1 week, and there is a fair, but not an overwhelming number of kids. In 2022 we sailed on Enchanted during Thanksgiving, but for 10 days, and there was only a handful of kids, while the rest of the passengers were very old. It was very different from the 1 week cruises when it's usually multigenerational. That said, kids usually have longer winter holidays during Christmas, so there will probably be more of them.

We've never been on Celebrity, but we have already been on Enchanted once (loved it, you can see my review in the signature), and will be on her again this June.

3 hours ago, WingerSupreme said:

but I've seen a lot of other commenters basically saying "balcony or bust" so that's left me conflicted.

You can always bid on a balcony later and maybe even win a bid. But if a balcony price suits you, go for it. I love having a balcony - I read a book or two on it during a cruise, while my DH and DS enjoy watching the free on-demand movies on Princess. On RCI ships we don't mind an interior room, because we are busy-busy-busy on the ship, with all the super fun family things and activities. On Princess, however, it's a lot more relaxing, with more down time to just chill on a balcony.

When we travel with my parents, they usually need a no added salt food, so we request that through the waiter and the headwaiter, looking at the menu the dinner day before and ordering specific dishes without salt. Celiac, though, is a lot more serious, but you will need to make all of your dietary requests in advance with whatever cruise line you choose. Both Celebrity and Princess would be most accommodating, I believe.

You can also make this post on Princess subforum. People who have sailed both lines will answer your questions.

P.S. Labadee is better than Princess Cays for sure, but the rest of the destinations are lovely on both itineraries. I'd wear water shoes on Princess Cay - we always do after both my kiddo and I cut our feet (he had a severe cut) on the hidden rocks (on the beach and in the water).

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Thanks 1

My wife went back to school (part-time) so the earliest we can leave is December 14th (with a flight on the 13th) and the latest we can return is January 5th. Otherwise, we would definitely find another time to cruise. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WingerSupreme said:

My wife went back to school (part-time) so the earliest we can leave is December 14th (with a flight on the 13th) and the latest we can return is January 5th. Otherwise, we would definitely find another time to cruise. 

June 2024 is wide open and rather cheap on Enchanted. Starting at $2,042 in a balcony for 2 on June 1. 🙂 Of course, it's just a boring West Caribbean itinerary. But Enchanted is also sailing 14 day and Eastern Caribbean in June.

On 1/14/2024 at 1:13 PM, WingerSupreme said:

We're both in our 30s, but we're looking for a more relaxing cruise rather than a party atmosphere. Neither of us drink so drink packages and such don't matter, I am a bit of a foodie and I'm also celiac, so both of those food aspects are important to me. My wife loves the beach, so ports that have a built-in beach are a bonus, but we are also looking to do 2-3 excursions (like 2 if we do the first itinerary, 3 if we do the second, since we've already been to Puerto Plata and Labadee isn't really an excursion port). Both sail out of Fort Lauderdale.

Cruise 1)

Celebrity Eclipse (Balcony), Dec 14-22. Ports are Labadee, Puerto Plata, St Thomas, and St Marteen. Day at sea, 4 port days, then 2 more days at sea. Cost (incl. tips) $3,058 CAD (with $200 USD OBC)

Cruise 2)

Enchanted Princess (Guaranteed Inside), Dec. 20-30. Ports are Princess Cays, St. Thomas, St Maarten, Antigua (on Christmas Day), St. Kitts, and Tortola. Port day, day at sea, 5 port days, 2 more days at sea. Cost (incl. tips) $3,240

Notes: With Celebrity, the day we're in St. Thomas will have 5 other ships, while with Princess we'll be the only ship. St. Kitts will have 6 ships that day, which could obviously impact things. Other than that, every other port day there will be 1-3 ships (including ours). 

Including the OBC, which will help pay for gratuities, the cost difference between the two is roughly $450 CAD. I haven't calculated any potential price differences in flights, but I assume it'll be roughly even.

The main things we're discussing and hung up on are:

1) Will the Princess be significantly more crowded because it runs over Christmas and many kids will be out of school? Will it be crowded to the point that it makes the trip less enjoyable?

2) I know a balcony is better than an inside stateroom, but my research leads me to believe overall the Enchanted Princess is a "better" ship than the Celebrity Eclipse (we especially like the idea of the movies under the stars). What is the likelihood of us getting an upgrade on our guaranteed cabin? And if we do stay in an inside cabin, what's the worst cabin we could be put in - and how bad would it be? 

3) Assuming we don't get upgraded, what would you say is the better cabin/ship combo - Celebrity Eclipse Balcony, or Enchanted Princess Inside? 

Thank you for all your help and suggestions!

Since title of your post was about itinerary, the Enchanted Princess itinerary is much better IMHO.

Choice on cabin, I personally would never book a cabin that does not have a balcony, that is our personal choice. Lots of folks are fine with interior or window, just not us.

The chance of being upgraded is very, very slim.

Whatever you book I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SPacificbound said:

Since title of your post was about itinerary, the Enchanted Princess itinerary is much better IMHO.

Choice on cabin, I personally would never book a cabin that does not have a balcony, that is our personal choice. Lots of folks are fine with interior or window, just not us.

The chance of being upgraded is very, very slim.

Whatever you book I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you, by itinerary I did mean everything involved with the trip, including ship and cabin.

I've heard contrasting statements on upgrades from guaranteed cabins, some people say they happen often, others say they happen almost never.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WingerSupreme said:

I've heard contrasting statements on upgrades from guaranteed cabins, some people say they happen often

I would NOT get a guarantee cabin in any category. I would, however, book an interior cabin of my choice if that's what my budget allowed for. 

I am talking about for a fee upgrade bids that you place. You may win one or not. I think the times of free upgrades are long gone, especially during full holiday sailings.

Make sure to stay away from cabins above and below the theater, dining rooms, buffets and pool on the lido deck. The best cabins are away from "white areas" and have cabins above and below.

Enchanted has this lovely cheaper balcony category that we love - it's obstructed balconies on deck 8. They are usually a little cheaper than a regular balcony, and the obstruction doesn't bother us.

This was our obstructed balcony view on deck 8 on Enchanted (it was a won bid from interior cabin): the life boats are lifted a bit during the port calls, and are lowered during the time at sea.

20221123_122845.thumb.jpg.4a1b6bb658503f74f934f8c767072c46.jpg20221123_122826.thumb.jpg.d1a8b551d029cfa133ffa31c5b54a953.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.fa5c8d29dab43d38b97dbec8a3de49f0.jpeg

Regal Princess is a sister ship, so they are pretty identical. This was our view from the same deck, different cabins with an obstructed balcony:image.thumb.jpeg.106f47b46227765665eb33b82ae39dad.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0ce173184514e55a36488aecc2c6269c.jpeg

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, WingerSupreme said:

@Itchy&Scratchy how much did you pay to win that upgrade? 

And the problem is the cost difference between guaranteed and choose our own is significant with the TA I'm looking at ($250 CAD), so that's a tipping point. 

always a minimum bid, lol. I am cheap. I think it was $150 pp from an interior to an obstructed balcony, 10 night cruise, Thanksgiving.

That's a big difference between guarantee and your choice, :(. Princess used to have them all at the same price.

45 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

always a minimum bid, lol. I am cheap. I think it was $150 pp from an interior to an obstructed balcony, 10 night cruise, Thanksgiving.

That's a big difference between guarantee and your choice, :(. Princess used to have them all at the same price.

Princess does have them listed the same, the TA must have some deal on guaranteed cabins.

• Like 1

Personally I would probably go with Celebrity because of the balcony for a similar price. As a celiac I would recommend set dinning time but I know celebrity even has lots of options in the buffet.

• Thanks 1

The Celebrity cruise was always bound to be better value-for-money, simply because of the date.

Best value tends to be late November to about 23rd Dec - that's an un-popular time for cruising (or any other vacation) because most folk want to be preparing for Christmas.

Conversely, Christmas cruises are almost always an expensive time to sail - a true Christmas experience

On their UK website Celebrity are offering your Dec 14th 8-night  cruise from £859 for a veranda cabin

For the Dec 22 11-night cruise veranda cabins start at $2053 !!!

The difference is stark.

If suitable, I suspect the same applies to your Princess option. Check out the prices of their previous cruise.

One other thing about Christmas in the Caribbean - and especially Antigua on Christmas Day !!!

You'll find few vendors open on Christmas Day in Canada - over Christmas it's worse in the Caribbean because it's a strongly-religious area and Christmas is family-time.

We took a Christmas/New Year 3-island flying hop one year. Meals in the hotels were included - otherwise we might have starved, car rental on arrival was difficult or impossible, shops were closed, etc.

If you're not concerned about seeing the islands  that's not a problem - you'll enjoy Christmas aboard either ship.

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1