Alaska Recommendations - Juneau

cusematt4

Hi All,

We are planning our first ever trip to Alaska and are going with a pre-cruise Denali land tour + 7 night Southbound cruise on the Sapphire Princess.

So far, we have booked:

-Denali Tundra Tour

-Skagway Yukon Expedition & White Pass Scenic Railway

-Ketchikan Local Connections: Deadliest Catch Crab Fishermen's Tour Created by Captain David Lethin

We don't see anything that currently sticks our for Juneau.  We would love to see some Alaskan culture (whether that's in town, at a local restaurant, a salmon hatchery and bake) but are also open to memorable worthwhile tours.

Does anyone have any tour recommendations or to do's in Juneau?  We are a family of 4 (late 60s and early 30s).  A few we have been eyeing but are not yet sold on are:

Mendenhall Glacier, Salmon Hatchery & Salmon Bake
Local Connections: Whale Watching & Wildlife Quest Created By The Allen Family
Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest
Whale Watching & Alaska Salmon Bake

We are open to booking through Princess, but are also open to a non-Princess tour if there anything that stands out.  We'd appreciate any tour recommendations, in addition to anything to check out in town pre or post tour.

Thank you very much.

I did mendenhall and the hatchery in my first cruise but on my second I went whale watching. We walked off the ship and were sold on a tour from one of the little booths and wow it was incredible. We saw 13 individual whales some only a couple of feet from our boat it was an amazing experience. 

One note I found my time at Mendenhall not nearly long enough. I did the walk to the waterfall which left no time to look around the interpretive center. If I were to do Mendenhall again I would go by taxi instead of taking a bus tour that way I can have enough time to do what I want instead of feeling rushed.

Juneau has a number of options which don't include purchasing an excursion from the cruise line.  

Options would include renting a vehicle for the day to visit Mendenhall on your own;  could also drive to the Shrine of St. Terese, Douglas Island, visit the fish hatchery, Alaskan Brewing Company brewery and so forth. 

The Alaska State Museum is within walking distance of the downtown piers and is a good option in case Juneau is experiencing a deluge of "liquid sunshine" while you are there.

No need to pre-purchase tickets to the Mt. Roberts tramway.  While it may appear to have a long line the lines move quickly.  Views from the top are lovely, but don't consider if the weather is cloudy.

Hanger on the Wharf is a nice option for a meal.

Our best whale watching experience has been out of Icy Strait Point.  

3 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Ketchikan Local Connections: Deadliest Catch Crab Fishermen's Tour Created by Captain David Lethin

Hi, I will be going on cruise to Alaska in May and interested on this excursion. Did you book with the cruise line or local independent tour company. TIA