Questions about the Baths in Virgin Gorda - mimi41385

bulldogmom

I just have a quick question, I was looking at mimi41385's pictures that were took at the Bath's and Devil's Bay. My question is, how do you get to Devil's Bay?? Is this something you can walk to from the Baths?? Our tour says it will be at the Bath's for approximately one hour, will that be enough time to see everything?? It is the only tour that Celebrity offers that goes to the Baths. Is there a better way to get there other than booking thru the ship. I see where there are names of ferry operators. Excuse my ignorance but if we decided to book on our own would it be a big deal to get from the cruise ship to the ferry terminal and then from the Ferry terminal in Virgin Gorda to the Baths??? Help?! We aren't in port here very long, only from 7am till 2pm so I don't want to be left behind. With this short of time would it be more beneficial to get an independent ferry to the Baths or to go on the cruise line sponsored tour??

Sorry for all the questions, I have just about narrowed all my excursions for my other ports down, I'm left with this one and St. Kitts.

If you guys could chime in and help me out I'd really appreciate it. I'd be totally lost without these boards.

Thanks

1. Given your short time in port, go with the cruiseship tour (normally I recommend doing it on your own but you really don't have a lot of time).

2. Devil's Bay is at the "other" side of the Baths. There are 2 ways to get there - going through The Baths (recommended for the experience) OR taking the path down from the other side of the parking lot (could be confusing).

3. What wil probably happen on your tour:

- you will probably be taken over to VG in one of the ferries (takes 30-45 minutes)

- you will be met at the docks by transportation (normally open air buses) - it is about a 5 minute drive to the "Top of the Baths" where there is a parking lot, restaurant and some shops. Since your time is limited, DON"T LINGER - start down the trail to The Baths (marked and obvious). It will take about 10 minutes downhill walking to get to the little beach. The Baths are to your left as you face the ocean. It is definitely worth going through them (can be done in about 15 minutes - but most people linger a bit to take pictures and enjoy the experience - this is where you don't want to rush). Eventually when you exit The Baths you will be at a 2nd larger beach (this is Devil's Bay - good snorkeling and interesting rock formations).

To return to the parking lot, you have two choices:

you can go back through the Baths OR you can take the trail that goes uphill from Devil's Bay.

I agree, don't do this on your own. Ferry times are so unpredictable. We got over there, it was too rough to do anything, way too crowded and we felt it was just a ferry ride for 79.00. All week on the ship they would announce it was sold out, then miraculously they would find 80 more slots, everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I look at our pictures and the rock formations are beautiful, but I don't think I would do it again. I thought Tortola was beautiful and some on the ship that did tours of the island said they loved it. When I got back went out to the little shops and people were so nice and wished I would have toured there. Enjoy whatever you do!!!!!

The first time my ship was set to stop at Tortola me and a group of friends took a chance and decided to plan doing the Baths on our own. We got off the ship, asked where the ferry dock was and they pointed out the terminal within walking distance (about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the port for me..im slow). They had nice cruisers there and a couple of different ferry lines (Smiths and Speedys seem to be best). We each paid 25.00 for a round trip ticket on the ferry right there at the ticket booth and opted for sitting in outside seats on top of the ferry. It was a great choice. We got an amazing view of the islands and it was worth the money just for the boating.

About 40 or so minutes later we docked at Virgin Gorda and caught one of the numerous open air 'safari' taxi trucks hanging around (i think it was 5 bucks round trip, 3 each way). We got to the Baths drop off point (a big circle with small shops and stands) and proceeded down the path to the Baths. Its steps terraced in the hill all the way down. Be careful of the roots and take it slow (its surrounded by brush trees). I understand now there is a 3.00 admission to the Baths (I'll know for sure when I take my 3/26 cruise and Im there this time next week :-) )

We got to the bottom of the hill and found a nice but busy beach with house huge boulders, an amazing and beautiful site. We swam between and to the side of these. It gets deep quickly but the water is clear and while the swells are large it doesnt seem to crash..big gentle swells. To the left was a sign about a trail and being curious as to what this Devil's beach trail was we took that. Turns out that takes you in and under and around a huge jumble of boulders. Its really neat although a trifle bit of exercise (Im a large lady...but I was fine except for one point where I had to get on my hands and knees to get down). You come out at another gorgeous beach with a calmer surf (Devils Beach or Bay or something). We stayed there for a while. The snorkeling was good here. We had brought our mask and snorkels but not the fins (leave the fins for this trip..we were glad we did). Then we made our way back through the labrinth of rocks to the other beach where we soaked it up a few.

Near 3pm (last ferry out was 3:30).. we made our way up to the Top of the Baths... the path and the restaurant up there. We bought a hotdog and drink and washed in the fresh water pool. Then a little after 3 we joined the throngs fighting for taxi rides back to the ferry. THis is the only time it got a little hairy. Hundreds of people and just a few taxis coming every few minutes. We got on at 3:10 and were holding our breath..i think we made it back with 2 minutes and we ran to the ferry.. they left about 3:35..so we were okay..but it was cutting it a bit close. Make sure you catch that ride back to the baths no later than 3pm. Speedys last ferry out is 3:30 on most days. Smiths is 4pm. Miss either of these and you have a problem (although I understand they have water taxis). I guess i loved the Baths so much I was trying to get every last minute out.

We used our roundtrip ticket for the ferry and got back in a little after 4. We walked slowly through booths and tents back to our ship (flea market style had been set up) and did a little shopping before we had to be on board at 5:30.

So overall we paid 30 bucks per person? I would never pay the 100 or so the excursion people want for this. You can do it yourself and you get a heck of a lot more time on Virgin Gorda. Also, if you dont want to do the Baths the entire time.. the taxis will take you around to other neat VG sites (eventually I will tear myself away long enough from the baths to do this).

Im sailing 3/26 on the Mediterranea which means next Thursday I'll actually be at the Baths :-D . Im planning to walk to the terminal again and take the 8:50 Smiths Ferry and come back on their 4pm ferry. BTW, Smiths and Speedys have websites you might find handy. Speedsy even has a package deal that includes your taxis (although the meal they include is at a restaurant not near the Baths but the ferry dock). Their deal is just $35. Smiths also had a deal without meal but included taxi from the boat to the ferry (not really worth it in my opinion ) for $156 for me, partner, and 2 kids (it was a little pricey but if you want everything booked and waiting for you in advance it was a lot cheaper than the cruise ship). They quoted me this when i emailed them about specials and packages.

Have fun! I'll post new findings after Thursday.

We didnt have any trouble with the ferry times. They were exactly as posted (they seem to give you about a 5 to 10 minute leeway to get onboard which is really useful but dont count on it in your planning).

The only times I have heard about the ferry times changing is due to inclement weather. Other than that they keep lots of ferrys running pretty regularly since for many locals this is the only way to get to jobs and homes (you will find a lot of locals on the boat).

Thanks everyone, I'm really looking forward to going. Unfortunately I would have to take like the 12:30 shuttle back to Tortola though because our boat leaves at 3:00. I wish we were staying longer but this will be our last port day so I'm guessing that they want to be ontime getting back to San Juan.

I've already checked out Smith and Speedy's websites. They have a ferry schedule there. One of them has a special (I e-mailed them to get more info) for like $35/pp, it includes round trip ferry fare, round trip taxi fare and lunch at a restaurant on Virgin Gorda (not sure if we will take advantage of that though, it would cut our time even shorter)

Like you feirlin, I'm a larger gal. I was worried about the maze of rocks leading to Devils Bay. Thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

hey bulldogmama

We too are going to the Baths the end of May on NCL Spirit. We are there from 7-3. I too am trying to decide if we should do it on our own or go with the tour offered thru the cruise line. Are you going to do it on your own w/ speedys?

I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing yet. I think we will probably do it on our own thru Speedy's.

They have ferries running pretty much every 30 minutes all day while we are there, I think we'd be okay if we caught the 12:00 or 12:30 one. That would get us back to the ship with a (very) little time to shop around the boat. I think this would be the best option becasue I feel like we will be too rushed if we take the ship excursion.

I e-mailed Speedy's right after I wrote this e-mail and they got back to me. (of course now I can't find the email LOL) but they had a special where you pay I think $30/pp and you get a taxi to and from the ferry to the Baths as well as lunch at the restaurant there and the ferry ride.

When you get back from your trip you'll have to tell us how it went. I have to wait till next February before I get to go LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bulldogmom--Sailing on Legend May 20th in Tortola 7am until 2pm NOT much time. Sppedy first ferry 9am gate to virgin Gorda 940 the open air safari to Baths arrive 1000 Tour until 1200-No time for the lunch safari back to dock for the 12:30 ferry back to Tortola 45 min shopping then board. FELLOW CRIUSE CRITIC MEMBERS CAN THIS BE DONE OR pAY THE $85 SHIP FEE. Thank You Tom in Brooklyn

Hi Tom:

I just wanted to say hi to a felllow Brooklynite. I was born and raised in Bklyn, but am now in CT. What precinct are you with? My brother-in-law is retired from 60 or 61, I can't remember which, but it was in Coney Island.

Regards,

Arlene

Hi Arlene--you are right the 60 Precinct is in coney island. I worked at the 61 PCT on Coney Island Ave,but now I work at the Boro-PBBS. Two years to retirementat 49- Might have known your brother in law. May 20th Criuse Legend out of NYC.:D

Archived