Bringing snacks on shore for excursions

helenb

My husband and I are power tourists. We generally do not stop to eat when we are on shore, particularly in Europe, where there is so much to do! We usually bring off canned sodas and other 'snacks' from the ship.

I know that every port has different rules as to what is acceptable to take onshore. We don't want to break the rules. So I am wondering what the restrictions are on  a UK cruise (also going to Ireland and France). Can we bring off bread/rolls/pastries? Cereal? Can we bring off cold cuts and cheese to make sandwiches? (My guess is no on that one.) Can we bring off only pre-packaged items?

I'd appreciate advice from others who have experienced these ports. Thank you!

Just to add....

I found this site

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-food-into-great-britain/print

It details specifically what is allowed, but there is a difference if it is from the 'EU' versus other countries. If I'm on a cruise ship that originated out of Southampton (but if not a UK cruise line) is that considered EU or 'non-EU'?

Edited by helenb

3 hours ago, helenb said:

If I'm on a cruise ship that originated out of Southampton (but if not a UK cruise line) is that considered EU or 'non-EU'?

The UK is no longer a member of the Union, so we have our own rules as your link advises. Ireland and France are members.

So, if you're departing Southampton and your next port of call is in Great Britain, then I don't think there's any issue at all, as you havent been to another country.   

On the other hand, if your first port of call was in France, then EU rules apply which, I think, (but am not sure) do not permit meat and cheese to be brought from outside the Union. 

Apologies for being vague. It's just that it's never occurred to me to take food from a cruise ship to eat on land, so I've never needed to check the regulations. 

Really? We always take food from the cruise ship on land, if we are permitted. There have been a couple of places where they were extremely strict (Australia/New Zealand come to mind) and we couldn't take off anything, but it's always nice to have a snack when we are on shore all day. We never purchase food on shore because we feel that it is a waste, since we have already paid for the cruise food.

I agree that theoretically, there shouldn't be an issue going from a UK port to a UK port, but since the cruise ship travels around, there are often different rules for it, since the people on shore don't know where the food came from. That's why I was asking for the experience of people who have been to these ports and heard announcements/seen signs regarding food.

Though the risk of you being stopped is low, both the EU and UK have similar rules, with meat and dairy being prohibited, though the UK has exemptions for personal use if you're coming from an EU/EEA country.  The EU is stricter, and I can't see an exemption.  In the first weeks after Brexit came into force, there were multiple reports of cross-channel lorry drivers having their cheese and ham sandwiches confiscated by EU customs!

How this works when the ship has been cleared by UK customs and then continues to another UK port is not obvious, but I suspect that will be on the condition that their onboard supplies are cleared for consumption on the ship (they could easily have come form US or Africa) - which is why you might have noticed signs on the ship that prohibit taking food ashore.

These links may help:
https://www.gov.uk/bringing-food-into-great-britain

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm

• Like 1

As  farmer I am strongly against people taking food on or off ships for picnics that then leave it behind for scavenging animals or birds which may then develop disease which results in the culling of livestock. Lest we forget foot and mouth or African swine fever which is now in northern Europe and only being kept at bay by the strong border force confiscating for example the recent wagon load of pork trying to be brought into the UK illegally. 

By all means take pre packaged biscuits cakes chocbars etc but no meats or dairy thanks. 

I don't want to have to kill all my animals because you want to save time and money by breaking rules. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

As  farmer I am strongly against people taking food on or off ships for picnics that then leave it behind for scavenging animals or birds which may then develop disease which results in the culling of livestock. Lest we forget foot and mouth or African swine fever which is now in northern Europe and only being kept at bay by the strong border force confiscating for example the recent wagon load of pork trying to be brought into the UK illegally. 

By all means take pre packaged biscuits cakes chocbars etc but no meats or dairy thanks. 

I don't want to have to kill all my animals because you want to save time and money by breaking rules. 

Just to be clear, I do NOT want to break rules, which is why I am asking what the rules are. And we have never left a picnic lunch on the ground, but always clean up after ourselves. More often than not, we are having our snack on a bus or in a car and then taking our trash with us to deposit in a receptacle.

If we are not permitted to take off meat/cheese, then we will not do so.

Edited by helenb

On 1/15/2024 at 10:14 PM, helenb said:

We never purchase food on shore because we feel that it is a waste, since we have already paid for the cruise food.

There's a  difference between us then. For us, a restaurant lunch ashore is an important part of our holiday. We put effort into researching where to go and what to eat (particularly if there are interesting local foods). Often, it'll be a significant focus of visiting that port - we might well take a self guided walk round the city, finishing off for lunchtime. 

4 hours ago, Harters said:

There's a  difference between us then. For us, a restaurant lunch ashore is an important part of our holiday. We put effort into researching where to go and what to eat (particularly if there are interesting local foods). Often, it'll be a significant focus of visiting that port - we might well take a self guided walk round the city, finishing off for lunchtime. 

We do that too, but during the land portion of our trips. Occasionally, we will schedule a meal during a port stop that is part of a cultural event (e.g. a luau in Hawaii). But for the vast majority of port stops, we prefer to see more sights rather than stopping for lunch.

Of course, this is why cruising is so eye-opening. Not only do you get to travel and see other parts of the world, but you get to interact with all kinds of people, both on shore and on the ship. We can have different touring approaches, and both of them are valid. it is simply what we prefer.

Edited by helenb

It would have never have occured to me NOT to make up rolls for lunch from a cruise ship in Europe. We did that in Norway on P&O and lots of other people were doing it as well for a days hiking. No signs anywhere in the buffet or at the doors. 

Just take off whatever you like, no one checks, lots and lots of people take of packed lunches from the ship for their day out, common practice. If for some obscure reason they take the sandwich off you, then no biggy, they wont do anything else, let them keep it for heir lunch..:)

Strange how views differ. I personally would never dream of taking food of a ship. Being that rules and regs change frequently and the shipping companies are probably not fully 'au fait' you stand the chance of upsetting someone who may deem your actions as irresponsible, and they may take action.

I am surprised that the  companies don't put a blanket ban on this practice as they could be held responsible for any breach.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, helenb said:

taking food off of the ship for lunch will rank up there with chair hogs, dress codes and tipping.

Unlikely, as unlike hogs and tipping, it doesnt really impact on anyone else, regardless of folks' opinions about it. But it might rank up there with dress codes. 

Edited by Harters