Haleakala sunrise bike down to the beach

jkbec101

Years and years ago, my wife took a tour that took them up to the mountain top for sunrise and then they biked all the way down to the ocean.  

From what I have read and what I can tell is that they no longer do this.  Most tour operators do the top portion twice, then put you in a van to just near the bottom, where you get back on your bike again to ride through town. 

I guess there is a large portion of the bike route that was closed (even prior to the fire) by the government.  Anyone know why.  Anyone heard if it will be opened back up again?  I have tried to find out why it was closed but all my Google searches aren't producing any results.

23 minutes ago, jkbec101 said:

I guess there is a large portion of the bike route that was closed (even prior to the fire) by the government.  Anyone know why.  Anyone heard if it will be opened back up again?  I have tried to find out why it was closed but all my Google searches aren't producing any results.

I'm not sure which town you are talking about-- it couldn't possibly be Lahaina (which was destroyed by fire)-- that would mean the bike ride down and then a 2-3 hour trek across the island on a very busy road with uphill sections. 

Did she ride to Paia? That seems at least in the realm of possibility. I know the ones that take you up and end within the park. Haven't heard of any in recent memory that take you to the water or into a town. 

4 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

Years and years ago, my wife took a tour that took them up to the mountain top for sunrise and then they biked all the way down to the ocean.  

From what I have read and what I can tell is that they no longer do this.  Most tour operators do the top portion twice, then put you in a van to just near the bottom, where you get back on your bike again to ride through town. 

With all due respect, we encourage you to research further about bike riding down Haleakala - especially the bike tour websites.  You should be able to get the information you seek.

On 1/15/2024 at 12:48 PM, jkbec101 said:

I guess there is a large portion of the bike route that was closed (even prior to the fire) by the government.  Anyone know why.

Bike tours halted on Hawaii’s Haleakala volcano after third death

On 1/15/2024 at 10:48 AM, jkbec101 said:

Those "years and years" have taken their toll on Haleakala, as scottca075 states it quite clearly.  Things from visitor overcrowding to disturbing the environment to injury and death of Park animals, birds and so on all contributed to scaling back activities, and remember that you need reservations for admission to the Park for sunrise viewing.  We're curious: What area is "a large portion of the bike route that was closed by the government"?