day passes, snorkels, & tours

zebe912

I've researched the cruise line offerings, as well as a couple of tour companies but haven't quite found something that will fit our group for a Roatan excursion.   We'd like to see some of the island and learn about culture/history, we have a small group and some would like to snorkel but not everyone, so a beach or pool area with snorkel rentals there (or through tour company) would be helpful, as long as the other people can sit & relax.  So far the company that seems the most flexible takes us to Henry Morgan that gets bad reviews lately.  The other is non-committal in where they do the beach experience and it looks like we have to pay for parts of the tour that we don't actually want (ie sloths).  
Does anyone have suggestions how we might best be able to get the experience we're looking for?  We don't have any interest in animals or sloths/monkees, except the stuff we see while snorkeling.  
Are there beaches/resorts with day passes that would rent out snorkel gear for a reasonable fee, and would we want to just take a taxi there and try to skip any other sight seeing?  Or is there a way we could actually create a trip more like we want?  Thanks

ETA: Coming on a Royal Caribbean ship, so I believe Coxen Hole will be our port.

Edited by zebe912

Check out Bananarama they have chairs for rent on the beach, bathrooms, showers and you can snorkel from the beach.

You can also check Paradise Beach Hotel they have day pass with chairs, use of the pool beautiful area and you can snorkel from the beach.

There are heaps and heaps of private drivers on the island who would be more than happy to do exactly what you want to do.  My current favorite is a lady by the name of Jezy, she and her husband are drivers. The website is Roatan Driver.  

If your party wishes to stay together and those on the beach want to be able to track the snorkelers in the water, Infinity Bay Resort is your best choice for day pass. Paradise is the next closest place with easy access to reef snorkeling but ya have tonwalk down the beach, it maybe 3mins.

Snorkel gear is another thing, I would not use someone else's tooth brush so the idea of renting mask and snorkel on an sland off the coast of a third world county doesn't appeal.  Still, there have been people renting on the beach or dive shops.  I think I have heard whispers that someone was unable to find any because there were all being used, so take your chances there. 

Edited by Guest 2000

We dock at Coxen Hole and have never had any difficulty getting a driver for the day and customizing a tour. 

As @Guest 2000 says there are any number of private driver companies regularly recommended on here - some long standing, some more recent - just read some recent reviews. 

We have never had a difficulty customizing to include exactly what we want,  if you choose a freestyle tour with any company on the island. You only run into difficulties of a pre-set schedule if you choose a group tour