Juneau Rental Car Options?

kc720

Looking to book a rental car for Juneau for our August cruise. Is Avis our only option near the cruise port? We would need something big enough for 6 passengers and they seem to only have a 4-seater available.

Avis has not had their office in downtown Juneau open for a number of years now, at least it hasn't. I would call them to verify, but I believe the only Avis rental location now is at the airport which would be very inconvenient.

The service we have used on all of our most recent cruises is Juneau Car Rental Company which had a space at the port until I believe they lost it recently, but as of our last visit they would still deliver and pick up your reserved vehicle at the port. 

Here is a link to their web site:

https://www.juneaucarrentalcompany.com/

17 hours ago, NothingBeatsBaseball said:

We rented a Turo. I understand the hesitation with it. I had some too, but ours worked out great. The owner met us across the street from the port. We had all day to go whenever we wanted. We too wanted a larger vehicle and were able to find what we needed. 

Do you remember the name of your Turo person? What kind of car was it and how much?

Also did they charge you a fee for bringing it close to the port?  Thanks

On 1/20/2024 at 5:42 PM, NothingBeatsBaseball said:

Hiya - thank you for sharing!  We'll be in Juneau in June.  We've been there many times but never rented a car.  We're considering it for this time.  Where did you visit during your travel in Juneau? Are there must go places that you recommend?  Thanks so much!

We went to Mendenhall Glacier, ate lunch, and then headed to the National Shrine of St. Thérèse. As we drove back to the main part of the city we stopped on the side of the road a few times. We pulled into Lena Beach but didn't stay long. Then we headed over the bridge to Douglas Island. There are lots of trails there. Our kids had a good time running around Sandy Beach. We took some of our favorite photos there. We spent more time there than I expected. There is a trail in the Treadwill Mine there, but we didn't get to it.

There are other trails on Douglas Island. We tried the Outer Point Loop Trail.... but it was flooded halfway or so. We saw some beavers which was neat. On Douglas Island, there were multiple places we pulled off on the side of the road to just take photos and enjoy the view. 

We had perfect weather so it was one of our best days of the trip.

• Like 2

When we were in Alaska on our first cruise, we rented through Juneau Car Rental. It was at the port then and we had a great experience.  We are going back to Alaska in June and I need to choose between renting through Turo or Juneau Rental again.  I will say that driving on your own in this port is amazing!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 4:01 PM, NothingBeatsBaseball said:

We went to Mendenhall Glacier, ate lunch, and then headed to the National Shrine of St. Thérèse. As we drove back to the main part of the city we stopped on the side of the road a few times. We pulled into Lena Beach but didn't stay long. Then we headed over the bridge to Douglas Island. There are lots of trails there. Our kids had a good time running around Sandy Beach. We took some of our favorite photos there. We spent more time there than I expected. There is a trail in the Treadwill Mine there, but we didn't get to it.

There are other trails on Douglas Island. We tried the Outer Point Loop Trail.... but it was flooded halfway or so. We saw some beavers which was neat. On Douglas Island, there were multiple places we pulled off on the side of the road to just take photos and enjoy the view. 

We had perfect weather so it was one of our best days of the trip.

Hiya -  sounds like you had a great time🤩 We will look into some of the places you visited.  Did you have the Turo rental delivered to you at the port? My husband is a wheelchair user, so, am considering the option of delivery to the port, if that's even an option.  Thanks again for your help on this!

Tammy, you can message the Turo owner in the app and make those arrangements to see if they will drop off, etc. It is really up to them as to what they're willing to do. 

Turo allows you to cancel up to 24 hours before, but you do pay when you book. So if you are worried about who booked with based on their dialogue with you, you can cancel. I booked about five months out and then kept an eye on the reviews of the car I had to make sure they were still positive. Then a week or so out sent a message to the owner to confirm, because who knows what could happen to a car in an Alaskan winter. 

Sounds like your husband will have his wheelchair, but the Shrine has wheelchairs you can borrow. So if you have anyone else in your party who may like one, they are available. 

On 1/15/2024 at 4:42 PM, kc720 said:

Looking to book a rental car for Juneau for our August cruise. Is Avis our only option near the cruise port? We would need something big enough for 6 passengers and they seem to only have a 4-seater available.

We have an 11-passenger van reserved through Juneau Car Rentals, for our cruise in August. I received a call back within a timely manner and then did the reservation online. I received an e-mail confirmation pretty quickly. Be aware they do not sell insurance there, and you do have to list your insurance on the request to book. You might want to contact your insurance company to make sure they cover rental car use, and specifically ask about covering "loss of use". Not all insurance companies do, and in the unlikely event that there is damage enough to sideline the vehicle for a time, the fee could be pricey. We also can downsize to a 7-passenger vehicle closer to the time, should anyone in our group of 9 decide not to go. I haven't seen a credit card charge for this, so I'm assuming we will be charged upon rental. I may change the payment method to direct bank transfer, to avoid the credit card surcharge.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2024 at 8:42 PM, NothingBeatsBaseball said:

Can you please tell us what you did for car insurance? I’m not sure how that works with Turo.  Thanks!