Do Royal Caribbean add an automatic additional charge when you buy a drink?

Have a friend coming on a NZ cruise with us soon on Ovation  We won't have a drinks bill as we get 4 free daily drinks  being Diamond members.  Our friend is trying to work out whether or not to buy the drinks package.   I know cocktails are around $15 each USD.  Do you pay an additional 18% on every drink you order or is that only applied if sailing from America?  Thanks to anyone who can clarify.

3 minutes ago, ddvgww said:

Have a friend coming on a NZ cruise with us soon on Ovation  We won't have a drinks bill as we get 4 free daily drinks  being Diamond members.  Our friend is trying to work out whether or not to buy the drinks package.   I know cocktails are around $15 each USD.  Do you pay an additional 18% on every drink you order or is that only applied if sailing from America?  Thanks to anyone who can clarify.

It doesn't just apply to sailing from America - but, the drink prices when sailing from Australia do include the gratuity in the menu price.. i.e. the $15ish cocktails has the 18% included. For comparison, the drinks package also has the 18% included.

11 minutes ago, ddvgww said:

No you don’t have to pay the gratuities for drinks on cruises from Australia on Royal. 

The only exception maybe Serenade on her World Cruise