Bergen to Oslo -- VY.NO website geoblocked to US users?

gimli05

Hello fellow travelers --
posting this here, as Bergen is homeport for VO and might have a better chance of being relevant --

I am trying to book tickets for the beautiful train trip from Bergen to Oslo -- previously was able to access the VY.NO website (last fall)-- however today I keep receiving a 403 Error access denied by Cloudfront -- I have tried multiple browsers and platforms.  Is it possible that VY.NO has geoblocked users in the US?  Anybody else trying to book tickets for the VY trains having this issue?

Thanks for any replies

We used the website last spring and had no problems.  However, like you, today I'm receiving 403 errors.  It also doesn't seem it's just for USA users.  I tried using a VPN and  it seems it can only be reached using Norway or Sweden as the VPN location (even FInland & Denmark received 403 errors).   We've been happy using ExpressVPN on a month-to-month basis when traveling ($12.95/mo).  Worth trying it if you need to book tickets before they sell out.

Edited by WestW

5 hours ago, gimli05 said:

Hello fellow travelers --
posting this here, as Bergen is homeport for VO and might have a better chance of being relevant --

I am trying to book tickets for the beautiful train trip from Bergen to Oslo -- previously was able to access the VY.NO website (last fall)-- however today I keep receiving a 403 Error access denied by Cloudfront -- I have tried multiple browsers and platforms.  Is it possible that VY.NO has geoblocked users in the US?  Anybody else trying to book tickets for the VY trains having this issue?

Thanks for any replies

Same up here.  We used that website to book Oslo to Bergen 2 years ago, so I’m not sure what the issue is.

If you don’t mind not being able to choose your seat, try rail ninja, or possibly rail Europe. 

49 minutes ago, WestW said:

I tried using a VPN and  it seems it can only be reached using Norway or Sweden as the VPN location (even FInland & Denmark received 403 errors).

My guess it has something to do with GDPR data privacy laws. Norway has not adopted it and the website would have to implement these stringent security measures if it does business with the member states. The easiest and cheapest solution is to restrict access by foreign users.

Some of these regulations are onerous. Under GDPR you have a “right to be forgotten” meaning if you request it, all identifying personal info must be removed. As a DBA the big hurdle we had was database backups, which can go back years. It’s implausible to remove information from a backup that may be copied onto a “write once” media. The whole idea of a database backup is to make archived data immutable and consistent at the time is was created.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

6 minutes ago, 2BERMUDA said:

Contact Fjord Tours. They booked the whole one day Norway in a Nutshell trip for us a few years ago.  Be sure to tell them to book Comfort Class

Good point. Definitely book comfort class 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2BERMUDA said:

Contact Fjord Tours. They booked the whole one day Norway in a Nutshell trip for us a few years ago.  Be sure to tell them to book Comfort Class

THANK YOU!!!!!

I didn't know they had Comfort Class available. I booked on the website and there was no mention of it. I just e-mailed them to see if I could adjust my reservation (I don't want to cancel it because it includes my hotel reservation and there were only three rooms left when I booked).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

THANK YOU!!!!!

I didn't know they had Comfort Class available. I booked on the website and there was no mention of it. I just e-mailed them to see if I could adjust my reservation (I don't want to cancel it because it includes my hotel reservation and there were only three rooms left when I booked).

Fjord tours just responded.They only sell standard tickets and seats are randomly assigned. But, we can try to upgrade on the train from Myrdal.

Update -- Today  VY.NO is accessible from the US -- maybe somebody figured out their AWS Cloudfront error??  We shall see tomorrow- as that is when I hope to purchase.  Thank you again everyone for your effort and suggestions. 

Safe travels

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gimli05 said:

Update -- Today  VY.NO is accessible from the US -- maybe somebody figured out their AWS Cloudfront error??  We shall see tomorrow- as that is when I hope to purchase.  Thank you again everyone for your effort and suggestions. 

Safe travels

Considering that trains aren't running due to the cold, I wonder if there were also issues with computers and servers. 

• Like 2

Sorry about no Comfort Class. I guess they changed what they provide.  When we booked with them in 2019, they directly booked it for us.  We also had them arrange transport of our luggage directly to the hotel.  

It is a beautiful ride on trains, boat and bus.  You will love it.