Jade Obstructed Ocean View windows

oz61

Hi all

i am considering booking an Obstructed Ocean View on the Jade. I have searched online, but trying to work out the windows/ port holes.

Are the “sideways” staterooms the only ones with picture windows and the bed parallel to the window. Do all the traditionally aligned staterooms have the two long skinny windows?

I would prefer the larger picture window.

Any advice regarding the Obstructed OV staterooms would be appreciated.

I know if applying to upgrade, you pay double. If you are a sole occupant in a stateroom, are you less likely to achieve an upgrade or if they are getting double the bid, are you the same as everyone else? 

Many thanks!

The closest are was very cramped and very little lights in the area

the view was a life boat so disappointing. The room at the time fit our needs with no sea days. But would have paid for a balcony for a better experience 

very awkward layout. Maybe traditional obstruction room have a better layout 

We once had 8582 on the Jade and I wouldn't do one of those in that section again. It was one picture window, with the bed in front of the window, but looked directly onto a lifeboat. It let in light which was good but the only way to see out of the window was to stand on the bed and then see a tiny sliver of the ocean above the lifeboat.

I'm hoping the picture window cabins are better...since we booked one for our upcoming cruise.

We normally book balcony cabins, but the cost of the balcony was more than double the cost of the picture window outside view (non-obstructed view)...so being the penny-pincher I am, I went for it.

Hope it doesn't come back to pinch me in the butt.

Check out if your cabin has pictures on cruisedeckplans dot com. If it’s like the Gem I was really happy with my obscured oceanview. It had more room than the interior cabin and more storage plus I could actually see out the window. The only downside I found was the constant light at night meant I couldn’t leave my curtains open.

IMG_6654.jpeg

We did that once. Do not remember the ship. Freaking lifeboat outside the window and someone working on it 24/7. Couldn’t sleep. Couldn’t leave curtain open because someone always out there,

on the plus side my husband is a coffee drinker and he was real near O’Sheenhans to get coffee. They let him serve himself.

4 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

This is a photo of a regular obstructed view cabin on the Jade. Plenty of light from the two windows. 

20180516_143143.thumb.jpg.ee377e2268d005012dd6b447b31a6a54.jpg

Here are a couple of photos that shows the view out of the narrow window. 

IMG_0493.thumb.JPG.7e910383732c98cb2ef7de7c79618299.JPG

IMG_0494.thumb.JPG.3f770a4c460ae0ddc9eb4540e6858fca.JPG

They are called "obstructed oceanview cabins" for a reason - and usually therefore also cheaper than a regular oceanview cabin. Personally I found the view to be better than I expected it to be - we mainly booked the obstructed oceanview cabins for the light (our alternative at the time would have been an inside cabin).

• Like 1

We often book the OK (Obstructed Oceanview) cabins on Deck 8 on the Jewel class ships because we will not do inside cabins, and the OK cabins are lowest priced in the Oceanview cabin category. We know that lifeboats obstruct the views but we are still able to see the sky, sea and land and that is enough.

We are retired and have to watch our budget. We are often out of our cabin a lot.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Check out if your cabin has pictures on cruisedeckplans dot com. If it’s like the Gem I was really happy with my obscured oceanview. It had more room than the interior cabin and more storage plus I could actually see out the window. The only downside I found was the constant light at night meant I couldn’t leave my curtains open.

IMG_6654.jpeg

What cabin number is this on the Gem? I think the Jade is same. Was it a traditional cabin or one with the bed sideways to the window? Thanks!

9 minutes ago, oz61 said:

What cabin number is this on the Gem? I think the Jade is same. Was it a traditional cabin or one with the bed sideways to the window? Thanks!

It was traditional 8050. Downside of this cabin was the Pullman bed which took up width.

11 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

It was traditional 8050. Downside of this cabin was the Pullman bed which took up width.

Thanks! On the deck plan map, it doesn’t look like there is a lifeboat in front - was it a smaller boat? 
Was the bed up against the window? Why did it take up space more than normal? I don’t think that cabin is available, but it is all interesting!

13 minutes ago, oz61 said:

Thanks! On the deck plan map, it doesn’t look like there is a lifeboat in front - was it a smaller boat? 
Was the bed up against the window? Why did it take up space more than normal? I don’t think that cabin is available, but it is all interesting!

The bed was against the window. The bunk takes up width closer to your should it sticks out about 5”. That stateroom can sleep 3. It was a great room but I would pick one that could only sleep 2 next time.

3 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

The bed was against the window. The bunk takes up width closer to your should it sticks out about 5”. That stateroom can sleep 3. It was a great room but I would pick one that could only sleep 2 next time.

Thanks! I understand now. Good tip.

Hi! We recently cruised for 14 nights aboard the Jade in cabin # 8086.

We had initially booked an inside cabin but upgraded to obstructed oceanview when the price came down to within $50 per person to do so.

This was my 20th cruise and I have been in all the standard cabin types across several lines (balcony and below).

The Pros:

- Very convenient to get anywhere on the ship - central location that cannot be beat

- Tons of storage space for two people - maybe we are light packers now that we have lots of experience with what know we do and don't need, but we didn't come close to using all the available space... would have been tight with four in the cabin though

- Natural light is great, even if the view wasn't

The Cons: 

- Deck lighting coming into the cabin at night

- Super loud noise throughout the night beginning at 2:30 am and going for hours off and on - woke us up and kept us up most of the cruise. For this reason, this cabin (and I would assume adjacent cabins) should be DO NOT BOOK unless you can sleep through loud noises.

The Jade is a very nice traditional ship and it was a great fit for an extended cruise with just hubby and I. Kids would have been bored out of their minds... Ship was renovated last year and is spotless. Food very good to excellent (some of our least favourite meals were in the specialties!) and good entertainment.  

Happy cruising! 

IMG_4476.jpeg

72357849894__46169BEB-CC30-4D95-B7CA-17225CFDCDF7.jpeg