Insurance to cover only partial trip cost?

Can you purchase traveli insurance for a designated amount for which you want coverage vs. the entire trip cost? For example, if your credit card covers a certain amount and you want to purchase coverage only for the difference, is that possible? 

If looking at a travel insurance policy, we recommend you cover your full prepaid, non-refundable trip cost on one policy.  There are a few reasons for this.  First, if you insure different portions of the trip under different policies, you would have to file separate claims, meaning more work on your end to work with different insurers.  Different policies may not cover the same things.  So, an event that may be covered under one may not be covered by another. Also, some coverages on the plan may require you to insure the full prepaid non-refundable cost of your trip in order to be eligible.  One coverage that typically requires this to be eligible is Cancel for Any Reason.  Third party comprehensive travel insurance plans will typically have more coverage than a credit card, and you may be able to compare and find a plan that better fits your needs.   In the event that your credit card may offer coverage, read the policy to know what is actually being covered.

20 hours ago, Needzavacation said:

Can you purchase traveli insurance for a designated amount for which you want coverage vs. the entire trip cost? For example, if your credit card covers a certain amount and you want to purchase coverage only for the difference, is that possible? 

Let me share with you what I do. Just note that each US State has its own regulation regarding travel insurance.

I live in Washington State. Waiver for pre-existing conditions is an important factor for me. Washington State does not require all non-refundable expenses for the trip be covered to be eligible for this waiver.

I can afford to lose my cruise costs. I cannot afford to risk a possible medical crisis loss.

Therefore, I ensure I purchase my travel insurance in the timeframe required to receive the pre-existing condition waiver. However, I only cover $500 to $750 of my travel cost. This way, I still receive the $100K medical and $250K evacuation. If there is a Trip Delay or a Trip Interruption, I still can claim up to 150% of trip costs to cover additional hotel, meals, and/or transportation. I do have additional coverage thru my Chase Saphire Reserve card as long as I pay a portion of my trip with that card. However, I don't really count on that coverage. It's just a backup.

I'm allowed to do this in Washington. I can't speak for what you can do in Texas.

• Like 1