Copenhagen with kids (one day port visit)

Hello

We are arriving in Copenhagen by cruise (Princess Cruises) this summer and are looking for some ideas for things to see and do with kids (10 and 12 years).  Some questions I have:

• How far is the cruise port from the city centre and what's the best way to get there?
  • Is Tivoli Garden worth the visit?
  • Is a canal boat ride worth the time? Companies to recommend?
    • Is there a highly-rated excursion company that you have used and would recommend to show us the town? (We are not into museums, but more picturesque spots.)

Any other hints, or suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Without knowing the date, I don't know which quay - I assume Oceankaj.
The cheapest transportation is public bus from Oceankaj to Orientkaj and from there metro to the City centre. Alternative is a taxi.
Tivoli will certainly be popular with children - Canal Tour is my personal favorite in Copenhagen. Look for Netto Boats (Netto-bådene).

Alternatives are HoHo bus or a castle tour. Copenhagen is very walkable and easy DIY.

18 hours ago, hallasm said:

Without knowing the date, I don't know which quay - I assume Oceankaj.
The cheapest transportation is public bus from Oceankaj to Orientkaj and from there metro to the City centre. Alternative is a taxi.
Tivoli will certainly be popular with children - Canal Tour is my personal favorite in Copenhagen. Look for Netto Boats (Netto-bådene).

Alternatives are HoHo bus or a castle tour. Copenhagen is very walkable and easy DIY.

Thanks very much for this. We are there early July - maybe the 3rd?  Caribbean Princess.  Do you know if the port is within walking or short shuttle / taxi ride to the pedestrian zone?

16 hours ago, ljandgb said:

My kids really liked Tivoli.  It is just across the square from the beginning of the pedestrian zone, so you could explore a bit from the park, if you can tear the kids away.

Did you use any public transport? Walk more? Taxi?  With such a short amount of time, I think we want to see the multicoloured houses along the canal, Tivoli for a bit (or is a 4 hours too short so skip it?)

Caribbean Princess calls at Oceankaj Terminal 3 on July 3. It is 7 km to Kongens Nytorv and 8 km to Tivoli. There is no shuttle - taxi or public bus from terminal 1 to Orientkaj and from there metro to Kongens Nytorv or Rådhuspladsen (Town hall Square)

Since the ship already sails at 4 pm, I would skip Tivoli and prioritize Nyhavn and a canal tour (1 hour). If possible the noon guard change at Amalienborg (Royal Castle)

Edited by hallasm

19 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Caribbean Princess calls at Oceankaj Terminal 3 on July 3. It is 7 km to Kongens Nytorv and 8 km to Tivoli. There is no shuttle - taxi or public bus from terminal 1 to Orientkaj and from there metro to Kongens Nytorv or Rådhuspladsen (Town hall Square)

Since the ship already sails at 4 pm, I would skip Tivoli and prioritize Nyhavn a canal tour (1 hour). If possible the guard change at Amalienborg (Royal Castle)

Amazing! I see they also have a Hop On Hop Off tour.  Do you know if there is pick up for that at/ near our port - sometimes tour operators do that.

We embarked in Copenhagen, and had arrived a couple days early.  If the ship is leaving at 4:00, I agree you may not have time to do Tivoli for any length of time and still see some of Copenhagen.  We took a taxi to the port, which seemed to not be near anything interesting and in an industrial part of town.

I'd think the ship would offer shuttles to some point of tourist interest.

12 hours ago, hallasm said:

There are several operators. No one drives to Oceankaj, but it is my opinion that a transfer from Oceankaj is included/additionally purchased.
Check Stromma and City Sightseeing.

Be sure that it is a shuttle from Oceankaj and not Langelinie.

Thanks. I think plans are starting to come together nicely, thank to you and others on this thread!

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2024 at 11:10 PM, mirkymirk said:

Hello

We are arriving in Copenhagen by cruise (Princess Cruises) this summer and are looking for some ideas for things to see and do with kids (10 and 12 years).  Some questions I have:

• How far is the cruise port from the city centre and what's the best way to get there?
  • Is Tivoli Garden worth the visit?
  • Is a canal boat ride worth the time? Companies to recommend?
    • Is there a highly-rated excursion company that you have used and would recommend to show us the town? (We are not into museums, but more picturesque spots.)

Any other hints, or suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Uffe with Great Dane Tours is amazing.  He is super flexible and patient.  He knows everything about everything, too.  We spent two days with him and at the end of the second day, we had him drop us at Tivoli and then we took a taxi back to the port from there.

We only spent a few hours at Tivoli.  I think it was worth it-we are Disney fans so wanted to visit because of the Disney history.  I will say, if you opt for the photo package, make sure you download the photos BEFORE you leave the park.  Or else you will never see them (yes, we learned the hard way 😞 )