Help Me Decide: Alaska

16 hours ago, olemissreb said:

I thought the food and drink were extra...guess my memory isn't what it used to be (must be all those mimosas I've had over the years! 🤣)

If you were in the Adventure Class seating they are. Goldstar Dome class seating a meal and a couple of drinks are included.  I'm certain your memory is perfect!  🙂 

4 hours ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Anyone have any advice on the best time of year to book an Alaskan cruise on NCL?  Looking at going late June 2025 probably Encore out of Seattle due to time constraints...

I've sailed NCL to AK April, May, July, September and October.  Never had a bad cruise, and I would (and certainly will) sail NCL AK any time that the ships are sailing.  Do you favor a slightly less crowded ship with less families?  Avoid summer months.  Do you favor a better chance of warm weather in ports?  Focus on the summer months.  My favorite all time AK cruise was probably the one in late October (last sailing IIRC) when it snowed in Glacier bay and we had rough seas sailing back into Seattle.  That's my idea of fun cruising.  It was also our first cruise post Covid and we had Alexa on the Piano.  You really can't beat that.

4 hours ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Anyone have any advice on the best time of year to book an Alaskan cruise on NCL?  Looking at going late June 2025 probably Encore out of Seattle due to time constraints...

Assuming you are asking when to book, book when you choose your date/itinerary. I believe Canadian terms are the same as US, so with NCL, you can cancel and/or reprice anytime until 4 months prior to your cruise. Which means you normally will get a better choice of staterooms at a guaranteed price if prices go up, but can also take advantage of lower prices if that changes.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

@schmoopie17 would absolutely love Snow City Cafe. They have the absolute best (seriously) hash browns I have ever had. Those never to be forgotten hockey pucks onboard Norwegian are nothing compared to what Snow City Cafe can put out.

But...but...I hate those greasy hockey pucks. They remind me of flattened tater tots (which are also little grease sponges). I don't eat them...however, I do make fun of all the posts about them (including mine).

1 minute ago, schmoopie17 said:

But...but...I hate those greasy hockey pucks. They remind me of flattened tater tots (which are also little grease sponges). I don't eat them...however, I do make fun of all the posts about them (including mine).

These are so not hockey pucks. They are grilled up squares of perfection. Not deep fried. They're grilled on the grill, seasoned perfectly and oh my gosh I want to devour one now!!! 

image.png.c7ae0ee7187ca05bba7bec39de170895.png

Not my photo

image.png.cc12f6ae3cc46fc21e7c04bf6bcae2fa.png

Also not my photo

They're from Google Reviews of Snow City Cafe: https://maps.app.goo.gl/TJFXGdAF5Ey1co3G9

• Like 1

@cruiseny4life My friend, I take it all back. Somehow I thought you were saying I liked the NCL hockey pucks...which you obviously didn't. But those hash browns in the picture look like the REAL DEAL. Yes, they might be worth making the trip to Alaska (and Mrs. Schmoopie is an Eggs Benedict fan, so yet another reason),

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rnr4thatsme said:

For 2025 NCL will have the Joy, Encore, Bliss and Jade in AK. The first three will be working out of Seattle, the Jade will sail between Vancouver and Whittier. 

As for time of year, some of it depends on what you want to see. Weather is always variable . We have sailed in AK mostly in June - both early, mid and late to early July and have had inconsistent weather all four times. The whales are there from spring to late summer so seeing them is a given. Bears too are out of hibernation and on the prowl for food mid summer the salmon runs begin. Eagles are pretty much a given all the time.

Most of the excursions are up and running by mid May, some may have a limited season due to daylight reduction in the spring and fall. 

We did the same itinerary as the Encore on the Pearl back in 2012 also in late June - it was a wonderful trip. If you are into glaciers, then see if you can find a small boat tour of either Dawes or Sawyer Glacier out of Juneau - this will take all of your time in Juneau so you would have to forgo whales and Mendenhall glacier but we did this in 2012 and had a great time - almost better than glacier bay - we saw way more calving on Sawyer than anywhere else.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kdmbluerzr said:

If you were in the Adventure Class seating they are. Goldstar Dome class seating a meal and a couple of drinks are included.  I'm certain your memory is perfect!  🙂 

Nope! I was in Goldstar...I remember having assigned seats as well as a couple mimosas and breakfast. I just thought my now-ex paid for it behind me I guess.

• Like 1