Oceania vs Seabourn: My experience

Woodrowst

I am just finishing up my first Seabourn cruise after a number of Oceania cruses.   A recurring theme on the Oceania cruise critic board is whether Seabourn is worth extra money over Oceania. So I thought I’d post my experience.

Caveats:  

* I am on a Seabourn expedition ship. So I do not know how my experience generalizes to a tradition Seabourn ship.

* With one exception, all of my half-dozen cruises on Oceania have been on the smaller R ship.  

Spoiler alert:  While I have thoroughly enjoyed my Oceania Cruises,  I felt that Seabourn was a cut above and worth the extra price.   It is the difference between a luxury line and a premium line.

Examples:

* The cabin on Seabourn was much larger than on Oceania.  A very nice feature is the walk in closet.

* The food on both Seabourn and Oceania is wonderful.  But Seabourn offers more options.  The evening menu had 12 appetizers and 12 main dishes to choose from-much more than Oceania

* Coffee/lates/cappuccinos were outstanding in the Seabourn square.  They were the best I have ever had at sea, even slightly better than the coffee drinks in Oceania’s Barista.

* The cookies and ice cream were better on Seabourn.

* The level of service was higher on Seabourn.  They always said yes when you asked for something.

* There were no lines anywhere and sometimes you thought you were the only person on the Seabourn ship.  There have been times on Oceania where I had to wait in line at the dining room or for a  coffee drink at Baristas. Not with Seabourn. There was never a line to get into the dining room and I never had to wait more than 30 seconds for a cappuccino at Seabourn Square.
* Wine was  served immediately at both lunch and dinner on Seabourn (if you wanted it)and they continued to fill your glass without being asked.  There have been times on Oceania where I had to wait quite a while to have wine offered.

* Caviar was always available.  I know that does not matter to many, but I like a gin martini and caviar goes really well with gin.

* The Seabourn ship had an open bridge policy where you could visit any time you wanted. Oceania does not do that.

* The exercise room is open 24/7 on Seabourn. Not so with Oceania.

* Because my current cruise is an expedition, there was little traditional entertainment; just a couple of lounge acts after dinner. I did miss the string quartet.  The entertainment time was taken up with lectures and discussion about the local flora and fauna. This worked well for us.

I was very impressed with Seabourn.  So if Seabourn charges more than Oceania for the same itinerary is it worth it?  My answer is yes if it is in your budget.  If not, Oceania is also a fine choice.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

36 minutes ago, Woodrowst said:

I am just finishing up my first Seabourn cruise after a number of Oceania cruses.   A recurring theme on the Oceania cruise critic board is whether Seabourn is worth extra money over Oceania. So I thought I’d post my experience.

Caveats:  

* I am on a Seabourn expedition ship. So I do not know how my experience generalizes to a tradition Seabourn ship.

* With one exception, all of my half-dozen cruises on Oceania have been on the smaller R ship.  

Spoiler alert:  While I have thoroughly enjoyed my Oceania Cruises,  I felt that Seabourn was a cut above and worth the extra price.   It is the difference between a luxury line and a premium line.

Examples:

* The cabin on Seabourn was much larger than on Oceania.  A very nice feature is the walk in closet.

* The food on both Seabourn and Oceania is wonderful.  But Seabourn offers more options.  The evening menu had 12 appetizers and 12 main dishes to choose from-much more than Oceania

* Coffee/lates/cappuccinos were outstanding in the Seabourn square.  They were the best I have ever had at sea, even slightly better than the coffee drinks in Oceania’s Barista.

* The level of service was higher on Seabourn.  They always said yes when you asked for something.

* There were no lines anywhere and sometimes you thought you were the only person on the Seabourn ship.  There have been times on Oceania where I had to wait in line at the dining room or for a  coffee drink at Baristas. Not with Seabourn. There was never a line to get into the dining room and I never had to wait more than 30 seconds for a cappuccino at Seabourn Square.
* Wine was  served immediately at both lunch and dinner on Seabourn (if you wanted it)and they continued to fill your glass without being asked.  There have been times on Oceania where I had to wait quite a while to have wine offered.

* Caviar was always available.  I know that does not matter to many, but I like a gin martini and caviar goes really well with gin.

* The Seabourn ship had an open bridge policy where you could visit any time you wanted. Oceania does not do that.

* Because my current cruise is an expedition, there was little traditional entertainment; just a couple of lounge acts after dinner. I did miss the string quartet.  The entertainment time was taken up with lectures and discussion about the local flora and fauna. This worked well for us.

I was very impressed with Seabourn.  So if Seabourn charges more than Oceania for the same itinerary is it worth it?  My answer is yes if it is in your budget.  If not, Oceania is also a fine choice.

You get what you pay for.  Thanks for the compare and contrast.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Woodrowst said:

Sign me up!!!!! Truly. I'll have to check them out. ALWAYS? Mmm.

• Like 1

You had me at caviar, but would do with a Vodka martini. Remember birthday lunch in St. Petersburg, at historic hotel while on a RSSC Baltic cruise many years ago. That’s all I wanted, caviar and had some champagne? 
Yours sounds like a great trip. Do you think the expedition cruises offer more specialized services for passengers? I am looking at Antarctic cruises, have seen good reviews of SS but good to hear about your experience on SB.

22 minutes ago, CardowMD said:

You had me at caviar, but would do with a Vodka martini. Remember birthday lunch in St. Petersburg, at historic hotel while on a RSSC Baltic cruise many years ago. That’s all I wanted, caviar and had some champagne? 
Yours sounds like a great trip. Do you think the expedition cruises offer more specialized services for passengers? I am looking at Antarctic cruises, have seen good reviews of SS but good to hear about your experience on SB.

I am on an Antartica cruise.  I get the feeling that service is great across the Seabourn fleet.  What does make my current cruise unique is that they have 26 Antarctic naturalists on board.   So there is always an expert around to tell you what you are seeing and to fill in gaps.  The naturalists also come on shore when we use the zodiacs.

• Like 2

How does the price compare with a Marina Antarctic cruise that does sail byes?  I am sure there is a huge difference in the number of guests aboard the two ships. We were on Marina last January and a friend on Seabourn and she felt the food and service was pretty comparable.   Expedition cruises are different so you definitely had a great trip. So glad you enjoyed it, we loved our sail by trip and were not up to an expedition sailing. 

Mauibabes

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Woodrowst said:

Caveats:  

Examples:

Let me say at the start I have loved my cruises with both Seabourn and Oceania, but for different reasons.

I’m not sure you are comparing like with like. The R ships are over twenty years old now whereas the Seabourn expedition ships are quite new.

In my opinion, and it is just mine, Seabourn food doesn’t match Oceania’s. Seabourn may have more items on the menu but it has fewer venues overall.

And finally …. no lines … as somebody else has mentioned there are far fewer passengers, maybe 200 on the expedition ships, compared to 680 on the R ships.

In saying all that, the  service on Seabourn is second to none, they just seem to be a notch above all the other lines I’ve sailed on, even the other luxury lines.

Would I pay more for Seabourn? Yes, within reason. But then everybody puts there own price and definition on ‘luxury’!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Would I pay more for Seabourn? Yes, within reason. But then everybody puts there own price and definition on ‘luxury’!

I compared pricing for a West African itinerary on several lines, from premium to luxury. Seabourn Sojourn, 14 years old with only 450 passengers turned out to be less expensive per day, than the 24 year old Nautica with 684 passenger for virtually the same itinerary. Sojourn's basic veranda cabin has appx. 295' of indoor space vs 165' on Nautica. On a long cruise, space does matter to me. Throw in a walk-in closet, stocked bar, included premium spirits and comparable food (IMHO) and there was no question of which line to go with. The level of service and many included amenites made Seabourn an easy choice.

I mentioned on the end of cruise survey when we left Vista that Oceania's pricing has edged up to where looking a true luxury lines makes a lot of sense.

It pays to comparison shop, especially for the exotic itineraries.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Queen of DaNile said:

I mentioned on the end of cruise survey when we left Vista that Oceania's pricing has edged up to where looking a true luxury lines makes a lot of sense.

I have to agree with you.

In the past I would always go to Oceania first but now I go to Seabourn! The pricing generally seems to be less clear than it was a few years ago. Silversea and Seabourn were always more expensive on a roughly like for like itinerary even when you took into account the extra benefits on each, but that  doesn’t seem to be the case any longer.

I just think it’s more work, to work out what is best for ‘YOU’ now!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vallesan said:

I have to agree with you.

In the past I would always go to Oceania first but now I go to Seabourn! The pricing generally seems to be less clear than it was a few years ago. Silversea and Seabourn were always more expensive on a roughly like for like itinerary even when you took into account the extra benefits on each, but that  doesn’t seem to be the case any longer.

I just think it’s more work, to work out what is best for ‘YOU’ now!

I'm definitely going to start doing that. Thanks.

On 1/19/2024 at 5:34 PM, mauibabes said:

How does the price compare with a Marina Antarctic cruise that does sail byes?  I am sure there is a huge difference in the number of guests aboard the two ships. We were on Marina last January and a friend on Seabourn and she felt the food and service was pretty comparable.   Expedition cruises are different so you definitely had a great trip. So glad you enjoyed it, we loved our sail by trip and were not up to an expedition sailing. 

Mauibabes

Seabourn makes Antarctica landings so easy. You really don't have to be "spry" or able to run a marathon to get the best out of Seabourn's expedition cruises. Food was great, lovely large rooms and bathrooms with walk in closet.....top notch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Seabourn’s pricing does not include excursions, is that correct? Thx.

I think this is a difference between the traditional and expedition ships.  All landings and zodiac rides have been complementary on the expedition cruise.  The only things that have charges are the submarine and kayaks.   This is similar to a Silversea expedition cruise we will be taking in the Spring - all excursions (mostly, but not exclusively, walking tours) are complimentary.

19 hours ago, vaitape said:

Seabourn makes Antarctica landings so easy. You really don't have to be "spry" or able to run a marathon to get the best out of Seabourn's expedition cruises.I

I can't speak for Seabourn but we did one on Hurtigruten a few years ago. Easy peasy and I'm not very "spry." Help in and out of the zodiaks. Paths to walk on when onshore. And I simply chose not to do the more strenuous things. And didn't feel like I missed a thing.

zodiak.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 12:26 PM, Queen of DaNile said:

I compared pricing for a West African itinerary on several lines, from premium to luxury. Seabourn Sojourn, 14 years old with only 450 passengers turned out to be less expensive per day, than the 24 year old Nautica with 684 passenger for virtually the same itinerary. Sojourn's basic veranda cabin has appx. 295' of indoor space vs 165' on Nautica. On a long cruise, space does matter to me. Throw in a walk-in closet, stocked bar, included premium spirits and comparable food (IMHO) and there was no question of which line to go with. The level of service and many included amenites made Seabourn an easy choice.

If the price of SB is less or even slightly more, then it's an obvious choice, especially when comparing to the R ships. We compared many European sailings and typically SB is at least 20% more expensive when comparing an entry level veranda. We sailed twice on SS and while we found it a small step up compared to O, the price difference on most sailings is not worth it for us. 

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

If the price of SB is less or even slightly more, then it's an obvious choice, especially when comparing to the R ships. We compared many European sailings and typically SB is at least 20% more expensive when comparing an entry level veranda. We sailed twice on SS and while we found it a small step up compared to O, the price difference on most sailings is not worth it for us. 

Keep in mind that SB does include all drinks, unlimited caviar, unlimited Internet, and gratuities.  And their ships are all suites!  If you also look at the space ratios (tonnage divided by # of passengers) you will find SB significantly more spacious than O (especially the R ships).

Another minor point is that SB does not have any silly fees for customizing air.  In fact, they have a decent online air booking engine where folks can choose their own flights, prices, class, etc.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Keep in mind that SB does include all drinks, unlimited caviar, unlimited Internet, and gratuities.  And their ships are all suites!  If you also look at the space ratios (tonnage divided by # of passengers) you will find SB significantly more spacious than O (especially the R ships).

Another minor point is that SB does not have any silly fees for customizing air.  In fact, they have a decent online air booking engine where folks can choose their own flights, prices, class, etc.

Hank

I agree with you 100%. But inclusions are important only if you use them. If you don’t drink (and we don’t) then the included drinks are meaningless for us. Yes cabins are much nicer on SB, but veranda cabins on O ships are good enough for us (I’m not even comparing to R ships). Unlimited caviar is a very nice treat, I’m still in withdrawal after our SS cruise in December.

So it all comes to itinerary and price. All other factors equal, and similar price, I would probably go with SB. If the price is 30-40% more? Not sure.

On 1/19/2024 at 8:34 PM, mauibabes said:

Mauibabes

1200 on Marina vs. 264 on the Seabourn expedition ships. It’s a big difference sailing by and using zodiacs to actually step on the continent. Seabourn ships literally sail straight into ice and “dock”, letting passengers walk right off the ship onto land. 

All cruises leave from Ushuaia so you take their included charter from Buenos Aires. The price was actually less than a PH on Marina. 

IMG_3280.jpeg

IMG_3281.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WNcruiser said:

1200 on Marina vs. 264 on the Seabourn expedition ships. It’s a big difference sailing by and using zodiacs to actually step on the continent. Seabourn ships literally sail straight into ice and “dock”, letting passengers walk right off the ship onto land. 

All cruises leave from Ushuaia so you take their included charter from Buenos Aires. The price was actually less than a PH on Marina. 

IMG_3280.jpeg

IMG_3281.jpeg

Wow! We've already done an "expedition" cruise to Antarctica so probably wouldn't return but, boy, does this look and sound incredible.

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2024 at 9:23 PM, WNcruiser said:

IMG_3280.jpeg

IMG_3281.jpeg

I am currently on SB Pursuit - 21 day Antarctica (6), South Georgia (3) and Falkland Isl (3).  Our first SB experience and this is expedition not regular SB.  We do love O.  We have been to Antarctica before on a very scenic cruise through.

So far we finished Antarctica and are on our way to SG...we did not get this ice dock experience mentioned above.   Our "6" in Antarctica was technically 5 days of landings/zodiac rides and the 6th was really at sea with a stop at sea near a Shackleton historic monument to see with commentary and binoculars.   We had 1 landing on Antarctica mainland.  The other 4 were islands. We did not go as far south as the Antarctic Circle.  So far, caviar has been missing from all events/dining but we plan to have it sent to our room later today to fix that.  Even with these small disappointments, I would recommend SB for Antarctica. 

Both scenic viewing and landings have their merit.  Antarctica is AMAZING and you should see it one way or another.  We are here again because we wanted "feet down" on Antarctica.  You get more close animal experience with SB.  This alone makes it better for me than scenic cruising only.  All experiences- zodiac cruising or landings/ hikes are 1-1.5 hours each.  If you are not able to "hike", you can at least go to shore for a bit.  They will be return you earlier if you want. 

For other destinations...I  think I  would prefer O. O has better food, no formal night on any of their ships, decent amount of overnight stays. 

Of course cost comparison could flip that.

• Thanks 2