Phone coverage close to overseas port when on Roam

If you are on international Roam can you use your phone onboard as soon as you get telco notifications when in or coming close to a foreign  port.

I usually turn my phone off during a cruise but these days its also my camera and need it for App so I may receive calls or TXT while still onboard.

Cheers

1 minute ago, fishtaco said:

If you are on international Roam can you use your phone onboard as soon as you get telco notifications when in or coming close to a foreign  port.

I usually turn my phone off during a cruise but these days its also my camera and need it for App so I may receive calls or TXT while still onboard.

Cheers

If you are on international roam, you will ping to the ships' cellular at sea. It will remain your dominant signal even as you are arriving into port.

• Like 2

T

54 minutes ago, fishtaco said:

Cheers

Turn OFF data roaming while on board. Your phone can still receive texts and messages while using Cellular at sea (expensive) but not download data in the background (astronomically expensive).

When in port, if you have good data allowance with your international roaming, you can turn data roaming back on. Your phone can be on at all times to take photos, etc. You can also use the ships WiFi for apps etc as well as WhatsApp, Messenger or Skype.

If you are with Telstra you can use WiFi Calling to make and receive Australian calls and texts for free while at sea using the ships WiFi

• Like 1

Also make sure you have picked up a local signal before turning on your data roaming. It is quite likely you will still be connected to the ship in port while you remain close to the ship.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 2:29 PM, MicCanberra said:

Turn off your roaming while aboard or put it in Flight mode

I switch to Flight Mode as I board the flight to leave Australia.  I use hotel or ship wifi for WhatsApp.  I also upgrade my Telstra pack for overseas, which allows me to use data or ring anywhere in the world for $10.00 on the day I switch it in.  If I need to make a local call say, in the UK (to a hotel or restaurant) I switch it on by turning off Flight Mode.  For 24hrs from that moment, I pay $10 to communicate in any way and limitless times to anywhere.  It worked perfectly 15 months ago.  

• Like 2

Just now, Mareblu said:

I switch to Flight Mode as I board the flight to leave Australia.  I use hotel or ship wifi for WhatsApp.  I also upgrade my Telstra pack for overseas, which allows me to use data or ring anywhere in the world for $10.00 on the day I switch it in.  If I need to make a local call say, in the UK (to a hotel or restaurant) I switch it on by turning off Flight Mode.  For 24hrs from that moment, I pay $10 to communicate in any way and limitless times to anywhere.  It worked perfectly 15 months ago.  

I should add that you need to remember to switch back to Flight M before the 24 hours are up.

Yes. If using Telstra daily roaming plan which operates on a 24 hourly basis, you must remember to actively switch it off otherwise it will start again every 24 hours charging you another $10. Even flight mode or no service does not stop the 24 hourly charge. How do I know? 

22 minutes ago, Galesa said:

Yes. If using Telstra daily roaming plan which operates on a 24 hourly basis, you must remember to actively switch it off otherwise it will start again every 24 hours charging you another $10. Even flight mode or no service does not stop the 24 hourly charge. How do I know? 

That’s a slightly different plan to the one I was referring to, which is not a “daily roaming plan”, but rather an upgrade option you can take for a specified period.  It certainly doesn’t default to a repeat, all I needed to do was switch on Flight Mode and the $10 did not continue for the next day.  Once though, whilst distracted, I was a few minutes over the precise 24hrs, and yes, logged another $10 for another day.  Not to waste an opportunity for a natter, I rang as many family members and friends as possible, and spent most of the day on the phone.  Strangely, Mario was not surprised.

• Haha 1