Comparison Silversea vs Oceania or Azamara

Enrythedog

Dress codes. Let's get it clear. All ships no longer offer the glamour cruise.

Late 90's an American CEO of the once very elegant little ships (private yachts)  Sea Dream (Goddess) took control. His name. PIMENTEL  is indelibly scribed into my head as the guy that removed style from cruising. He invented "No jacket required" that to a British or European person . means the code doesn't require a tie. But really a jacket is optional . Unfortunately for those of us with style.  To an average American it can mean turn up in  T shirt, shorts and flip flops. Not all , but some do. That group sets the low ball scene.

Dress standards have deteriorated ever since.  I've just disembarked from 2 Azamara cruises. No formal nights. The majority of pax wore stuff I'd garden in. Many could easily have traveled with a couple of plastic bags. At embarkation I thought they d mixed us with some asylum seekers.

Two nice American couples we met didn't have a complete change of clothing!  Seemingly there is no code.  Just come you are. Few pax have pride in how they appear. On both cruises only 4 men  wore jackets.

The only positive from this demise is we can travel light. No longer must we forklift 4  large suitcases. For those recently joined the cruising fraternity.  One was for ball gowns another for cocktail dresses. Tuxedos,  both black and white and maybe a suit. Dress shirts. Casual shirts. Polos.  A couple of jackets  .even patent leather shoes.

A cruise until recently.  was where our ladies could safely wear real jewellery that glittered and transformed evenings and nights into beguiling Film sets. Often befitting of Hollywood. 

Now it's a film set depicting Asylum seekers leaving Eastern Europe. Or Americans running from an earthquake. Sprinkled with a few that were prepared and came by car . 

Come on guys. Smarten up. Your girls love dressing up  Lets party in style! Please...

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Fandango1 said:

Your girls love dressing up  Lets party in style! Please...

No, I don’t love dressing up. I don’t even particularly like dressing up. Please don’t presume to speak for me. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Fandango1 said:

Late 90's an American CEO of the once very elegant little ships (private yachts)  Sea Dream (Goddess) took control. His name. PIMENTEL  is indelibly scribed into my head as the guy that removed style from cruising. He invented "No jacket required" that to a British or European person . means the code doesn't require a tie. But really a jacket is optional . Unfortunately for those of us with style.  To an average American it can mean turn up in  T shirt, shorts and flip flops. Not all , but some do. That group sets the low ball scene.

Dress standards have deteriorated ever since.  I've just disembarked from 2 Azamara cruises. No formal nights. The majority of pax wore stuff I'd garden in. Many could easily have traveled with a couple of plastic bags. At embarkation I thought they d mixed us with some asylum seekers.

Two nice American couples we met didn't have a complete change of clothing!  Seemingly there is no code.  Just come you are. Few pax have pride in how they appear. On both cruises only 4 men  wore jackets.

The only positive from this demise is we can travel light. No longer must we forklift 4  large suitcases. For those recently joined the cruising fraternity.  One was for ball gowns another for cocktail dresses. Tuxedos,  both black and white and maybe a suit. Dress shirts. Casual shirts. Polos.  A couple of jackets  .even patent leather shoes.

A cruise until recently.  was where our ladies could safely wear real jewellery that glittered and transformed evenings and nights into beguiling Film sets. Often befitting of Hollywood. 

Now it's a film set depicting Asylum seekers leaving Eastern Europe. Or Americans running from an earthquake. Sprinkled with a few that were prepared and came by car . 

Come on guys. Smarten up. Your girls love dressing up  Lets party in style! Please...

Silversea has one of the most archaic and ridiculous dress codes one can imagine. But those who defend it always repeat the same argument: once jackets are not required, men will wear T shirt, shorts and flip flops. Like there is nothing in between. What's wrong with a nice dressy shirt and elegant pants?

Men dress very nicely on Oceania, even without jackets. Never could mix them with asylum seekers. But I guess some people judge others by the way they dress. Sad. Jackets equal cruising in style?? Really? This is the only criteria of style to you??

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fandango1 said:

I would guess that your opinion, which you are entitled to, is in the very small minority of people that cruise the high end cruises. Those of us who belong to country clubs know what country club casual means. That is probably the future- like it or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fandango1 said:

Country club casual would be very acceptable. But alas,  that's nothing like the scene

Having spent 32 nights on the Nova last year, that is what I observed with rare exceptions.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 3:52 PM, J18ktleo said:

Hi everyone!

Looking for advice, every year I have a group of girls (all mature over 50) doing a Caribbean cruise.  We've done Windstar and Celebrity, some of us are Elite + on Celebrity and we've really enjoyed the new Suite Class/Retreat on the newer ships.

However I'm really tired of the same old ports, even with Windstar we're so repetitive and I am the one planning all the tours everywhere we go so it gets challenging.

I'm looking at Silver Shadow for Jan 2026 with an awesome itinerary and I like the all included excursions plus Celebrity has started upcharging for wines that should be/used to be part of Premium pkg and they've degraded the Suite Class perks so we're looking elsewhere.

I'm a little 'put off' by the comments of dressy dress code, especially for Caribbean, is that true?

Wonding if those of you who are 'loyalists' think this might be a good experience for us?

I've looked at Oceania, fact that you have to call at midnite to book dining reservations scares me, especially with 12 people!

And Azamara wasn't our thing, felt too old for my group.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you!

p.s. Jazzbeau, we met somewhere years ago, no idea but HI!!!!

You can't go wrong with Azamara, particularly if the cruise isn't too long.  I've traveled with groups of "over 50" women and we love Azamara unequivocally.  The crew and other passengers are fun.  Celebrity is in a different category--larger, great shows, etc. but not as much personal attention.   I'm looking at Silver Shadow for South Pacific in Feb or March of '25.  I will go with my husband but wouldn't consider it for "the girls."  Try Azamara before you rule them out.    I am wondering how you liked Windstar.  It seems to be a little pricy and everything isn't included but the vibe seems a little more casual and my husband might enjoy that.