June or August?

TMC

If you want salmon (and salmon = bears), then mid-August is right. You also get better glacier viewing because the snow has melted off them, and some chance to see the Northern Lights. June generally has better weather, never-ending light (the Midnight Sun), some snow on the mountain-tops, and dog sledding is running (they usually quit mid-August).

Murray

So, if we are planning to go late July in 2007, will we get the best of both worlds? ;)

Actually, you get "the poor" of both worlds - no Midnight Sun, no Northern Lights, no bears... (but good weather).

Really? I guess I haven't done enough research... When does the "midnight sun" end? I was looking at the end of July, but we could go just about any time from mid-June thru the 1st week of August. hmmmm and I thought I had it all worked out....

Our family was originally planning our AK cruise for August '06, but when we were on a previous NCL cruise our butler told us that June is far better than August. He said that due to the number of cruise ships that have come and gone all season, the snow and glaciers get dirty from all the polution that come with the ships. He also said that there are far more animals that can be easily seen and all the babies are being born early in the season. The Northern LIghts are seen in the winter, best in March (I have a aritcle from a travel magazine about it). We changed our cruise from August 2006 to June 2006 based on what the butler said. He cruised the whole season in Alaska, so I think he is the most qualified to judge.

>>He said that due to the number of cruise ships that have come and gone all season, the snow and glaciers get dirty from all the polution that come with the ships.<<

LOL - that's the funniest one I've heard in quite a while!

>>He also said that there are far more animals that can be easily seen ...<<

Not true - it's never easy to find animals except in a few spots like Denali or the salmon creeks.

>>The Northern LIghts are seen in the winter, best in March...<<

The Northern Lights happen year-round. You can start seeing them mid-August, and by April it's getting too light to see them. The best viewing is when it's darkest (Dec-Jan), but March is the most popular viewing time because it isn't so cold.

Murray

I too have to totally agree with Murray's expert advice. :) The "butler" probably doesn't even get off the ship much and certainly hasn't been interior Alaska. All information here is completely false and inaccurate.

I do like mid to late August and is my most traveled time. I have seen Northern Lights several times on my trips into Sept., including my last trip. Inside Passage "wildlife" is VERY rare, tours are necessary. Bear viewing doesn't start until July out of Ketchikan, can get to Pack Creek earlier.

Archived