Does Virgin still allow you to bring on a 12 pack of soda?

The Cruiseman 1

I've looked into this, as I don't expect that VV will have my preferred soft drink / soda on board, which is Coca-Cola Zero Sugar Vanilla (or whatever they're calling it here in Australia this week).

From the VV web site:

Can I bring water or soft drinks on board?

Small quantities of water, protein based drinks, non-alcoholic beer, or soft drinks in boxes and cans are permitted in hand luggage only. Drinks in bottles (glass or plastic) are not permitted. A small quantity is considered a maximum of twelve (12) sealed, unopened cans/cartons of twelve 12 ounces each or less per person. - If there is a special need for having a specific drink, please contact Sailor Services.

A standard can in AU is 375 mL, which equates to about 12.7 US fl oz. For my first ever cruise coming up next week I can either risk being pinged for being a bit over, or play it safe and get some "mini" cans instead, which are 250 mL (about 8.5 US fl oz).

47 minutes ago, Colin 2905 said:

standard can in AU is 375 mL, which equates to about 12.7 US fl oz. For my first ever cruise coming up next week I can either risk being pinged for being a bit over, or play it safe and get some "mini" cans instead, which are 250 mL (about 8.5 US fl

I doubt they would even check the size of each can. Just take 12 of whatever is the standard size, here in the uk it’s 330ml, US 12oz is about 355ml

• Thanks 1

Just coke zero on resilient lady on our cruise in nov.

I took 6 cans of sprite zero on board in hand luggage and bought more in each port and took them on board.

I only drink sugar free soft drinks and like coke zero but only having that 1 option on a 15 day cruise is just too much for me!

24 minutes ago, Swells1 said:

Valiant had Coke Zero as well as Diet Cokes. Most bars had one or the other. 

I'll be on Resilient Lady, but I imagine the offerings will be the same.

Coke in Australia has changed the names and formulas a few times over the past few years. Coke Zero became Coke No Sugar then Coke Zero Sugar. I'm not a fan of any of them, especially the first iteration, which tasted like fly spray to me.

Thankfully, when Zero replaced Diet in the Vanilla range the taste remained much the same (to me, at least).

At a pinch, if I need a caffeine fix I can drink Diet Coke, which is what my wife drinks. Some years ago I experimented with adding vanilla essence to Diet Coke using an eye dropper, with mixed results. 😄

20 hours ago, Colin 2905 said:

At a pinch, if I need a caffeine fix I can drink Diet Coke, which is what my wife drinks. Some years ago I experimented with adding vanilla essence to Diet Coke using an eye dropper, with mixed results. 😄

From videos I think they have the Coke Freestyle dispensing machines in The Galley, which means you could mix your own adventure there 🙂

37 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

From videos I think they have the Coke Freestyle dispensing machines in The Galley, which means you could mix your own adventure there 🙂

It's not real Freestyle.  It's what I call "Freestyle Light".  You can't mix anything.  It does not have Coke Zero Vanilla (but does have Coke Zero and Diet Coke)

• Thanks 1

Just now, aviators99 said:

It's not real Freestyle.  It's what I call "Freestyle Light".  You can't mix anything.  It does not have Coke Zero Vanilla (but does have Coke Zero and Diet Coke)

Maybe you could bring some sugar free vanilla extract?  Then you wouldn't be limited to what you have on board, since they have Coke Zero?

2 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

It’s not freestyle, just a touchscreen soda fountain. Options are Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, Fanta orange and Seagrams ginger ale.

The juice from concentrate machine usually has orange and apple juice, still lemonade, iced tea and sometimes fruit punch or POG.

2 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

Not in my experience.  THey have a few options, but certainly not like the big freestyle machines.  You can also order cans from Sailor Eats (room service) at no charge or get cans from some bars.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 9:23 AM, cantgetin said:

Not in my experience.  THey have a few options, but certainly not like the big freestyle machines.  You can also order cans from Sailor Eats (room service) at no charge or get cans from some bars.

I know we have to pay for room service delivery.  But do you know if the cans of soda from some of the bars are free or need to be paid for please? 🙂

55 minutes ago, tessacate said:

I know we have to pay for room service delivery.  But do you know if the cans of soda from some of the bars are free or need to be paid for please? 🙂

they're free from bars, but not all bars have them

• Like 1

Cans of soda are free.  Sip usually has them and the Sun Club bar up top sometimes. THey can also be ordered from room service at no charge IF you order an item that has a charge,  

4 hours ago, rxtimbo said:

Does the ship have carbonated water? (Similiar to LaCroix)

They don’t have flavoured water drinks like that only standard sparkling water. There are two carafes in your cabin, as standard these are still filtered water but ask your attendant and they can fill one or both with sparkling. In restaurants you’ll always get offered still or sparkling water.