NCL latest way to stop you from upgrading.

So I tried to upgrade my room from Balcony to Club balcony. Did a mock booking and also looked at another site. 

The difference in price was $50 more than what I paid.

I called NCL 2 different times with the same answer. Instead of letting you upgrade they tell you the price is $800.

Now we all know they see what we see when doing the mock booking. The price they are giving you is the high end bid price of the upgrade site they do not try to rebook you they just say no that is what I am seeing. I find this very lame. 

More than what you paid, under the same circumstances?  As in, do you have the BOGO airfare offer attached to your original booking? That factors into the price comparison. Nothing new.

3 minutes ago, julig22 said:

More than what you paid, under the same circumstances?  As in, do you have the BOGO airfare offer attached to your original booking? That factors into the price comparison. Nothing new.

Nope $50 more than I paid I was going to pay the difference. Nothing new

1 hour ago, detroitlions said:

So I tried to upgrade my room from Balcony to Club balcony. Did a mock booking and also looked at another site. 

The difference in price was $50 more than what I paid.

I called NCL 2 different times with the same answer. Instead of letting you upgrade they tell you the price is $800.

Now we all know they see what we see when doing the mock booking. The price they are giving you is the high end bid price of the upgrade site they do not try to rebook you they just say no that is what I am seeing. I find this very lame. 

Has anybody else experienced this?  If so, I'm surprised we haven't seen other reports.

1 minute ago, detroitlions said:

If anyone out there has a booking try to call and see what they say with a upgrade.

I don't know about an "upgrade" per se - I would just change the booking. 

When I was in this situation, after final payment, a club balcony was about $50 more than I had paid for my balcony.  So I called my TA and had them change the booking to the club balcony, told them which stateroom I wanted and I paid the $50 difference.  Easy.

• Like 1

Just now, PATRLR said:

I don't know about an "upgrade" per se - I would just change the booking. 

When I was in this situation, after final payment, a club balcony was about $50 more than I had paid for my balcony.  So I called my TA and had them change the booking to the club balcony, told them which stateroom I wanted and I paid the $50 difference.  Easy.

That's my point they would not do it. They quote you the $800 upgrade price

you might have to keep calling until you get some who has more knowledge with the booking system. is the a major problem with big company's  and call center people. most of the time they barely have enough knowledge to do thier job 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

If anyone out there has a booking try to call and see what they say with a upgrade.

Almost there, 1 more price drop to put the upgrade cost equal to my low-end bid. Cruise is still more than 2 months away.

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

The difference in date of booking is likely the culprit.  Why not just cancel your current booking and rebook the new cabin and pay the $50?

So pay a penalty? How is that a good plan?

Just now, julig22 said:

Almost there, 1 more price drop to put the upgrade cost equal to my low-end bid. Cruise is still more than 2 months away.

My cruise is in 53 days I do not know if I can cancel and rebook. Normally they used to do it for you now they wont.

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Where are you finding this "upgrade price?"

When you book a cruise and sign into the app there is a tab called lets get you upgraded. Then there is a slide bar that lets you bid on a room. The two I looked at the top bids were told to me it would cost to change my room. The same exact amount from 2 different reps.

7 minutes ago, julig22 said:

So pay a penalty? How is that a good plan?

Ahhhh…I see!  Upgrade after final

payment.  That’s a whole different ball of yarn.

Trying this on the “bid to upgrade” site (using the slider was mentioned)?  Just because the minimum bid on the upgrade slider shows $50, it’s a bid, not an upgrade price.

Edited by graphicguy

Just now, graphicguy said:

Ahhhh…I see!  Upgrade after final

payment.  That’s a whole different ball of yarn.

Trying this on the “bid to upgrade” site (using the slider was mentioned)?  Just because the minimum bid on the upgrade slider shows $50, it’s a bid.

Well you used to be able to call and they would make you pay the difference for the room now they wont. They quote you the top price of the Bid on the phone. 

Just now, detroitlions said:

Well you used to be able to call and they would make you pay the difference for the room now they wont. They quote you the top price of the Bid on the phone. 

I know they've done it in the past but since you're past final payment they are not required to. It's possible they decided to maximize their upgrade revenue.

Also you didn't have airfare correct? That's a whole different issue.

20 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

When you book a cruise and sign into the app there is a tab called lets get you upgraded. Then there is a slide bar that lets you bid on a room. The two I looked at the top bids were told to me it would cost to change my room. The same exact amount from 2 different reps.

I don't understand why you are looking at the upgrade bid site.  That should have nothing to do with what I think you are trying to do.  If I understand correctly, you have found that the listed price for a club balcony is now only $50 more than you paid for your regular balcony.  I know my TA had no problem moving my booking from balcony to club balcony (and it was after final payment, just as you are).

• Like 1

Just now, PATRLR said:

I don't understand why you are looking at the upgrade bid site.  That should have nothing to do with what I think you are trying to do.  If I understand correctly, you have found that the listed price for a club balcony is now only $50 more than you paid for your regular balcony.  I know my TA had no problem moving my booking from balcony to club balcony (and it was after final payment, just as you are).

Yes, many of us have done that. But if I'm reading all of this correctly, the OP has been told it will cost $800 to upgrade, not $50. And $800 just happens to be the high bid on the "Upgrade Advantage" option. So it's possible NCL has changed their "courtesy adjustment" policy.

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

Yes, many of us have done that. But if I'm reading all of this correctly, the OP has been told it will cost $800 to upgrade, not $50. And $800 just happens to be the high bid on the "Upgrade Advantage" option. So it's possible NCL has changed their "courtesy adjustment" policy.

That's how I'm reading it as well.  I'm sure somebody else will attempt this in the next day or two and hopefully report back.  I'm about one more price drop from doing this myself.

If I’m reading this right, OP booked.  It’s past final payment.   NCL sent the “bid for upgrade” email.  OP wants the upgrade for the minimum $50 bid.  But, as the site explains, it’s only a bid.  That bid probably won’t get the cabin s/he wants.  

S/he called NCL requesting the cabin for the minimum upgrade bid amount.  Of course, that can’t be done because that’s only a bid, not a. actual fare.  So, NCL quotes the upgraded fare, which has nothing to do with the minimum bid.

• Like 4