Cancelling excursion before sailing

KKB

How far out is your cruise?  If it's within (maybe) a week or so (I don't know what the cutoff time is...) then you will get it back as OBC.  If far enough out then back to original form of payment.

• Like 1

Just did this today. Sailing is in May. I asked for a refund to my credit card and sent snapshot showing all of cost of the purchase was billed to my credit card.

Here is her response.

I have canceled the shore excursion. The system automatically refunds the onboard credit and then anything over that to the credit card. I can request for a manual refund of the difference since you don’t want the refund going back into the onboard credit. I have to wait 48 hours before I can put the request through giving time for the initial refund to process. I will follow up with you once this has been done.

I've canceled on Jan 6th, sailing next Monday 29th, paid by CC...still waiting...Connected by chat with customer service yesterday, the guy has requested a CC refund on my account....asked to be patient with processing the refund....We'll see. 

If you cancel far enough before the cruise, it will be refunded - with the following exception.

• If you paid entirely by credit card, it will be refunded to your credit card.
  • If you paid entirely by onboard credit, it will go back to your onboard credit.
  • If you paid by a combination of onboard credit and credit card, they will refund first to onboard credit. They will refund to credit card only if your total credit card charges are more than your total remaining excursion bookings, and then they will only refund the difference to your credit card.
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Who is this "her"? Was this a TA or a CVP? Princess rep?

My bad,  Princess CVP.  Very knowledgeable.  Has gotten things done for me before.   I probably also should have added quotations to the email.

This is a bit of a surprise, (automatically refunding to OBC), when the SE was 100% purchased using a credit card and cruise is 4 months away.  I don’t recall this happening before, and is contradictory to the policy link given above by @DHP1 as well as @NavyVeteran post.

A few days ago, I read here on Cruise Critic this was an issue, so today I emailed  my CVP requesting the cancellation and refund. 

I’ll post the outcome. 

4 minutes ago, milolii said:

My bad,  Princess CVP.  Very knowledgeable.  Has gotten things done for me before.   I probably also should have added quotations to the email.

This is a bit of a surprise, (automatically refunding to OBC), when the SE was 100% purchased using a credit card and cruise is 4 months away.  I don’t recall this happening before, and is contradictory to the policy link given above by @DHP1 as well as @NavyVeteran post.

A few days ago, I read here on Cruise Critic this was an issue, so today I emailed  my CVP requesting the cancellation and refund. 

I’ll post the outcome. 

The question is not whether or not that specific shore excursion was purchased using a credit card. Were any excursions purchased with OBC? If you spend $100 OBC for Excursion 1, then spend $100 credit card for Excursion 2, and then cancel Excursion 2, you won't get a credit card refund because you have spent a total of $100 by credit card and you still have a $100 excursion balance.

11 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

The question is not whether or not that specific shore excursion was purchased using a credit card. Were any excursions purchased with OBC? If you spend $100 OBC for Excursion 1, then spend $100 credit card for Excursion 2, and then cancel Excursion 2, you won't get a credit card refund because you have spent a total of $100 by credit card and you still have a $100 excursion balance.

Excursion 1 is "paid for" free and clear with OBC and has no more bearing in your example. It's paid! If you then cancel a credit card purchase (for anything prior to the "cut off" date) then you will get a CC refund. 

On 1/23/2024 at 5:25 PM, trin880 said:

I've canceled on Jan 6th, sailing next Monday 29th, paid by CC...still waiting...Connected by chat with customer service yesterday, the guy has requested a CC refund on my account....asked to be patient with processing the refund....We'll see. 

Here is an update to my own cancelation and chat with princess rep. I just noticed a refund on my CC, 2 days after talking to someone over the Live Chat. Canceled on Jan. 6th, initiated a chat on Jan. 22nd, refund is showing up on Jan. 24th. 

12 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Excursion 1 is "paid for" free and clear with OBC and has no more bearing in your example. It's paid! If you then cancel a credit card purchase (for anything prior to the "cut off" date) then you will get a CC refund. 

It is exactly how I have just received my refund to CC, excursion #2 was paid with CC and canceled. Still have a separate and active excursion #1, a standalone purchase with OBC+CC.

On 1/24/2024 at 7:19 PM, trin880 said:

It is exactly how I have just received my refund to CC, excursion #2 was paid with CC and canceled. Still have a separate and active excursion #1, a standalone purchase with OBC+CC.

Update:  I received the total refund to my CC, but I did ask my CVP at Princess to take care of it.  My situation was similar to yours. 

Passengers may need to request this. 

Edited by milolii