Availability of excursions upon embarkation w/full ship?

tbmrt

As we get closer to our February San Juan departure, my friends and I are nervous about not being able to book excursions upon embarkation since the ship is probably full.  We have SOR. Not sure what to try to book first when we board.

We did book one excursion that we definitely wanted on our credit cards, but really would like to be able to use the lots of loot we have for others.  Based on this scenario should we try to book excursions on the app as soon as we board and then try to change our dinner times and book shows around the excursions?

I seem to remember reading that someone went to two different places to book excursions and dinners when they boarded instead of using the app, but I'm not sure what that was and if perhaps waiting on lines to do this would affect our ability to book things quickly.

Advice appreciated.

Unsure what it's like for a cruise from San Juan but having done another busy itinerary there was still a good amount of excursions available upon departure and we used loot to pay for a few. If you're flexible on the sort of excursion you're prepared to do I think is worth waiting.

• Like 1

We divide and conquer.  One of us does activities and the other does dinner changes.  We try to do it on the app so we can be seated together when we do it.
Excursions--big red desk on deck 7 midship port side

Dinner help Razzle Dazzle restaurant deck 5 starboard.

We've never needed help with dinners as the app has worked well.  It is sometimes easier to discuss excursions at the desk...for instance if your top choice isn't available but you want to know what is open or you want to ask about wait listing for a particular selection.

SO...I would go to big red desk with my sailing partner.  One of you be ready to talk to the first available excursion person  as you try to do it on the app while the other is on the app doing dinner stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

We divide and conquer.  One of us does activities and the other does dinner changes.  We try to do it on the app so we can be seated together when we do it.
Excursions--big red desk on deck 7 midship port side

Dinner help Razzle Dazzle restaurant deck 5 starboard.

We've never needed help with dinners as the app has worked well.  It is sometimes easier to discuss excursions at the desk...for instance if your top choice isn't available but you want to know what is open or you want to ask about wait listing for a particular selection.

SO...I would go to big red desk with my sailing partner.  One of you be ready to talk to the first available excursion person  as you try to do it on the app while the other is on the app doing dinner stuff.

This is what I was looking for!  Thanks.

So we have 3 couples/cabins.  Thinking we'd send one person from each cabin to excursion desk to hopefully book excursions we decided upon beforehand. (Heard if there is loot involved all parties need to be there.) 

Two people sitting together at ship entrance....One will book dinners based on excursions we were hoping to get (usually make our 5:45 dinner resos later), and the other booking preferred shows first talking between each other.

Then hopefully we could go to Razzle Dazzle if dinner plans do not work out to help if needed. I'm sure we could get a reso somewhere or if need be, hit The Galley.

Does that sound like a good plan?

Since we will be in the Southern Caribbean and some of our party have not been there, excursions should be priority, then shows, then dinner.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good plan.  Also, shows don't change a lot, so if you are doing VV again any time soon,  a lot would be the same.  Yes, if loot is involved, you'll need one person from each cabin to book excursions, whether on line or at the desk.

On our cruises (which have all been a week or more) they had nightly specials in The Galley that were really good, provided you liked the item. THey did a Beef Wellington with all the trimmings that was really special.  These were in addition to the daily lunch specials, some of which are also available at dinner.   Bottom line, we've never gone hungry or felt deprived on VV.  We do miss the old dinner menu in Razzle, but such is life.....

• Thanks 1

And remember that if for any reason you are still hungry, many Galley stations are open until 10:30 (we've sometimes gone up at 10:15 to get a custom made salad for later), there is 24 hour breakfast, Pizza (salads pre-made there as well) till ?2am (later than I'm up), and Sailor Eats.  Deal on sailor eats--order ANY item with a charge and there is no delivery fee.....so you can get a specialty coffee or tea, bottle of beer, etc. for $5 and avoid the $7 delivery fee.  It also applies to alcoholic drinks.

19 hours ago, neverendingcruising said:

With you on the original Razzle dinner menu, truly a loss. 

I believe all sailings/all ships now have a nightly dinner special at the Galley. The burger place is also open for dinner now which is nice. 

I believe the Burger Bar is now open till midnight if I recall correctly from our Scarlet Lady cruise a few weeks ago. Still amazed the Ramen station is closed for dinner and late night. I mean ramen IS a late night staple in so many places. 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

Still amazed the Ramen station is closed for dinner and late night.

I'm miffed they turned the ramen station into an express breakfast station!!  I dearly missed my morning ramen on the last voyage!  It seems like a waste to only have all those ingredients for just one meal a day.