How to find Travel agent for Cruises

I do a variety between booking direct with the cruise line or with a big box internet company. The internet company will often times give perks like free gratuity or on board credit. The disadvantage is if I cancel prior to final payment this company will charge me $100.   I think that is how they get some of the money for their perks.   So if I am uncertain about a cruise thinking I may cancel I will go with the cruise company. Also if there is not any good perks with my internet company I will go with the cruiseline.  Also its important to consider availability. NCL is 7 days a week probably 12+ hours a day; so if you want immediate assistance go with the cruise company. My internet company is only 8-5 Monday through Friday.  So it depends what you are looking for -if you want OBC and/or graituties go with someone other than NCL that offers them.  

33 minutes ago, bedfordmom said:

I do a variety between booking direct with the cruise line or with a big box internet company. The internet company will often times give perks like free gratuity or on board credit. The disadvantage is if I cancel prior to final payment this company will charge me $100.   I think that is how they get some of the money for their perks.   So if I am uncertain about a cruise thinking I may cancel I will go with the cruise company. Also if there is not any good perks with my internet company I will go with the cruiseline.  Also its important to consider availability. NCL is 7 days a week probably 12+ hours a day; so if you want immediate assistance go with the cruise company. My internet company is only 8-5 Monday through Friday.  So it depends what you are looking for -if you want OBC and/or graituties go with someone other than NCL that offers them.  

How often do you need immediate assistance?  

Good point. If there is a price drop on the weekend I would want immediate assistance  to reprice I also have to wait for a call back to book with my agency up to 48 hours generally 24 and sometimes prices change or I change my mind

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

Cruise Critic do NOT allow to post names of businesses but this policy seems like very poetic as Cruise Critic themselves post list of best travel agents on this website.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/best-cruise-travel-agents

Is like editorial vs advertorial kind of thing! ?

One of biggest perks I am looking for single person discount and it seems like it is no where to be found on Cruise line websites esp. where I want to go (No Cozumel please, it seems like this particular location is profit maker as half of Caribbean cruises go there) . There were single discounts on NCL last month and but rooms were inside (I was ok with that one) but it was on 4th Floor and I thought that was very low level. Not sure sure how far they are from engines or crew cabin.

I just missed that deal as it was very good itinerary (southern Caribbean) and I thought they may have better opening in a week or so but seems like demand is off the charts. Those cabin went like hot cakes.

Thanks all.

1 hour ago, Cruising1122 said:

Cruise Critic do NOT allow to post names of businesses but this policy seems like very poetic as Cruise Critic themselves post list of best travel agents on this website.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/best-cruise-travel-agents

That list is just UK based travel agents, so it probably won't help you much if you are in the US.

Having dealt with both the PCCs on NCL and TAs (including big box discount and credit card travel agencies), strong word of caution....if a TA is charging more than the direct fare with NCL or they have fees associated with changing or canceling a booking before payment, run away.  Run far away from them.

• Like 1

A few years ago, we used to book directly with the cruise line.  Then we tried a big box TA, which was very impersonal.  Then tried one of the cruise bid sites and were fortunate enough to find our current small travel agent (franchise of a large cruise agency)

We have continued to use the same Travel Agent for the last several years. 

Pros:

They provide refundable OBC or send a check at the end of the cruise (my choice), 5-10% of the cruise price.

They often have deals that pay for gratuities and/or provide other extras (water, special dining, etc.)

Sometimes have deals that offer additional non-refundable OBC.

They have a relationship with American Express that gives me $100-$300 non-refundable OBC with every cruise along with a free meal for 2 at LeBistro (or equivalent restaurant) when I use my AMEX Platinum card.  Benefits are different on non-NCL bookings.

Personalized service - they know what I like, which makes my contact with them quick and easy.

They almost always answer the phone in person, if not I get a call back within minutes, even if I do not leave a message. 

They do not add any fees for changes or cancelations.

They will contact the cruise line for any issues that need resolution and fight for me if needed.

All credit card charges are posted direct to the cruise line, they do not transact and hold.

Cons (not many):

They are only open M-F during business hours.  If there is a price drop on a weekend, or a cruise with a room that I really want opens up I have to wait until Monday, so could miss an opportunity - although in theory I could book directly with NCL and transfer.

For most issues that could arise with a booking I do not have the option of contacting NCL direct

We cruise quite a bit, often in suites, so we have saved thousands of dollars by using a travel agent.

As others have stated, ask other cruises for recommendations, and talk with a potential travel agency about practices, policies, and discounts before choosing them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1