Marlin - It's what's for dinner

nuevowavo

On a recent cruise, Chef Farid on Insignia picked up some fresh marlin in Ensenada to serve at the Terrace. We were on the ship over Christmas in the Caribbean, where he did the same with yellowfin tuna. It was excellent and very popular. So why choose marlin when tuna is easily available in Mexico? Marlin populations are declining worldwide due to overfishing by non-U.S. commercial fleets, and the sale of marlin and all other billfish (other than swordfish) has been illegal in the U.S. since 2012 (except in Hawaii, which is exempt for historic cultural reasons).

I understand that Oceania ships are not U.S. flagged, and this took place in Mexican waters, but shouldn't Oceania recognize that they shouldn't be promoting the consumption of endangered species?

And for those who might be inclined to use the term "treehugger", I have fished recreationally for billfish for over 40 years, and have released every one I have every caught, with the exception of one striped marlin that came up dead.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/national/laws-and-policies/billfish-conservation-act?fbclid=IwAR2zhFMU71qooB7blpE7bP1evQTtWQI3HpYENfnpf0UmlnvLrTD_FAzN2jA

Marlin.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nuevowavo said:

On a recent cruise, Chef Farid on Insignia picked up some fresh marlin in Ensenada to serve at the Terrace. We were on the ship over Christmas in the Caribbean, where he did the same with yellowfin tuna. It was excellent and very popular. So why choose marlin when tuna is easily available in Mexico? Marlin populations are declining worldwide due to overfishing by non-U.S. commercial fleets, and the sale of marlin and all other billfish (other than swordfish) has been illegal in the U.S. since 2012 (except in Hawaii, which is exempt for historic cultural reasons).

I understand that Oceania ships are not U.S. flagged, and this took place in Mexican waters, but shouldn't Oceania recognize that they shouldn't be promoting the consumption of endangered species?

And for those who might be inclined to use the term "treehugger", I have fished recreationally for billfish for over 40 years, and have released every one I have every caught, with the exception of one striped marlin that came up dead.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/national/laws-and-policies/billfish-conservation-act?fbclid=IwAR2zhFMU71qooB7blpE7bP1evQTtWQI3HpYENfnpf0UmlnvLrTD_FAzN2jA

Marlin.jpg

I don't call you a "tree hugger" at all! Why didn't you ask the chef and/or the captain about this.

I wasn't on this cruise. Picked up the story on FB. I certainly would have brought it up to the chef if I was there. He was terrific on the previous cruise, where I met him.

2 hours ago, nuevowavo said:

Marlin.jpg

Per NOAA, the Pacific blue marlin is not endangered and not overfished:

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/pacific-blue-marlin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

I don't know what kind of marlin this was but here's a little more info. Is encenada considered Mexican waters/ I think they could have made another choice just in case.

Ensenada is in Mexico. The fish was likely caught in Mexican or international waters.

Again,  NOAA, the US agency under whose jurisdiction the law cited by the OP falls, states that Pacific blue marlin are not endangered. 

So we have what is likely a non-endangered species caught outside the jurisdiction of the cited law. Unless you're a vegan and refuse to consume any animal products what is wrong with the fish being served on the ship? How is it different than serving sole or flounder or salmon?

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Ensenada is in Mexico. The fish was likely caught in Mexican or international waters.

Again,  NOAA, the US agency under whose jurisdiction the law cited by the OP falls, states that Pacific blue marlin are not endangered. 

So we have what is likely a non-endangered species caught outside the jurisdiction of the cited law. Unless you're a vegan and refuse to consume any animal products what is wrong with the fish being served on the ship? How is it different than serving sole or flounder or salmon?

OPs post just said "marlin." Are there different kinds? I don't know. And, hey,how would it have hurt to ask the chef about it?

That is most likely a blue. The NOAA page is referring to the Western Pacific stock.

In Mexico you cannot fish for them commercially within 50 miles from shore.

Costa Rica has banned removing them from the water, catch and release only, because of declining populations.

As I said, it's not illegal for Oceania to serve them, but there are certainly better choices, in keeping with the spirit of U.S. law. And tuna tastes a whole lot better.

• Thanks 1