Age demographic

Cruiscs

3 minutes ago, Moby Jones said:

I see, so you failed to understand.

or you failed to be clear.  The OP seems happy with either demographic, but perhaps not a lot of children.  These posts take on a life of their own.  Carnival IS  a good option for the younger patrons...and Celebrity might not be a good fit...yes you're right....👍

7 minutes ago, Moby Jones said:

or you failed to be clear.  The OP seems happy with either demographic, but perhaps not a lot of children.  These posts take on a life of their own.  Carnival IS  a good option for the younger patrons...and Celebrity might not be a good fit...yes you're right....👍

OP here.  
Anyone who would like to share their experiences on Mediterranian cruises during the shoulder season? Guess it is different departing from Athens and Rome vs Fort Lauderdale where there are lots of retirement homes…. 

As I mentioned we are 30s something couple looking for a cruise on Celebrity in September/October in the Med. We have been on E class during school holidays and loved it but we want a longer cruise with less children. That doesnt mean we hate kids…

We dont mind older people either-We actually prefer a more mature crowd, but if the majority are 70-80s we will prob reconsider…

Edited by Cruiscs

8 minutes ago, Moby Jones said:

6 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Carnival is not an option in the Med. Their older ships looks tacky. 

Edited by Cruiscs
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

Anyone who would like to share their experiences on Mediterranian cruises during the shoulder season? Guess it is different from departing from Athens and Rome vs Fort Lauderdale where there are lots of retirement homes…. 

As I mentioned we are u 30 something couple looking for a cruise on Celebrity in September/October in the Med. We have been on E class during school holidays and loved it but we want a longer cruise with less children. That doesnt mean we hate kids…

We dont mind older people either-We actually prefer a more mature crowd, but if the majority are 70-80s we will prob reconsider…

If it's helpful and only our experience but must say we're not 30ish..😉.  Sailed Celebrity from Rome to Barcelona taking in Venice, etc in mid September into early October.  Don't remember any children but must have been some considering law of averages.  Cruisers ages I would say was 50ish to 80ish (minority in our experience).  Our table companions, 8 of us, were approx:  25 - a honeymoon couple;  couple in their 50's; another in 60s; and I remember 2 older ladies maybe 70s who were very quiet but seemed to enjoy the lively conversations.  Weather was very nice, sunny and warm but Venice was rainy, cool and I wore 2 light golf jackets...didn't spoil our trip in a gondola or walk through Marks square.  We were invited to sail away (one of the last from there) the next day and the weather was terrific...no sweaters.  So it's changeable.  Hope this helps and it wasn't too long an explanation.  BTW...you can choose a table for 2 and then find friends around the martini bar, pool, or various activities.  Lots of choices if you don't want to dine at a larger table and take pot luck...LOL.

Edited by Oceangoer2

3 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

If it's helpful and only our experience but must say we're not 30ish..😉.  Sailed Celebrity from Rome to Barcelona taking in Venice, etc in mid September into early October.  Don't remember any children but must have been some considering law of averages.  Majority I would say was 45 to 80ish.  Our table companions, 8 of us, were approx 25 - a honeymoon couple;  couple in their 50's; another in 60s; and I remember 2 older ladies maybe 70s who were very quiet but seemed to enjoy the lively conversations.  Weather was very nice, sunny and warm but Venice was rainy, cool and I wore 2 light golf jackets...didn't spoil our trip in a gondola or walk through Marks square.  We were invited to sail away (one of the last from there) the next day and the weather was terrific...no sweaters.  So it's changeable.  Hope this helps and it wasn't too long an explanation.

Thanks. Which ship? 

We are in our 70's and have been sailing for 20 years or more so we have been  at many age stages. Now that we are at the older stage we do see where it is somewhat uncomfortable for "younger" guests.  Not sure what one can do about it other than choose a different cruise line or time of year or travel with other friends.  I do remember thinking "so many old people" years ago.  But when you get to that stage(and still quite healthy and active) you want to travel and can even more. 

I can say that when we sailed in Europe and Russia we found the guests to be young(more middle age) so you should be fine.  Plan tours and you will meet very nice people of all ages.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Has Celebrity cruise out of Venice since the restart ? 🤔

No...we sailed just before they transferred the port to Ravenna for ships over 25000 tons (google is my friend, I didn't know what the limits were).  Just found out more if it's interesting to you...

"LARGE CRUISE SHIPS TO BE BACK TO VENICE IN 2027. Although cruising has a small part to play in Venice's issues, the recent decision by the authorities was quite surprising. Starting in 2027, larger cruise ships will be allowed access to Venice.     Sep 25, 2023"
Edited by Oceangoer2

6 minutes ago, dazey said:

We are in our 70's and have been sailing for 20 years or more so we have been  at many age stages. Now that we are at the older stage we do see where it is somewhat uncomfortable for "younger" guests.  Not sure what one can do about it other than choose a different cruise line or time of year or travel with other friends.  I do remember thinking "so many old people" years ago.  But when you get to that stage(and still quite healthy and active) you want to travel and can even more. 

I can say that when we sailed in Europe and Russia we found the guests to be young(more middle age) so you should be fine.  Plan tours and you will meet very nice people of all ages.   

Thanks

1 minute ago, Cruiscs said:

We are considering Silhouette. It is actually cheaper than Royal and NCL. 

Love the ship...been on her more than 5 times...it's one of the S class which is refurbished.

7 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

No...we sailed just before they transferred the port to Ravenna for ships over 25000 tons (google is my friend, I didn't know what the limits were).  Just found out more if it's interesting to you...

"LARGE CRUISE SHIPS TO BE BACK TO VENICE IN 2027. Although cruising has a small part to play in Venice's issues, the recent decision by the authorities was quite surprising. Starting in 2027, larger cruise ships will be allowed access to Venice.     Sep 25, 2023"

Not that large 

Under the new plan, entry into Marittima will be allowed to vessels with a maximum weight of 60 thousand gross tons and a length of 250 meters. These ships will no longer pass in front of the iconic San Marco basin, a move aimed at alleviating concerns about environmental impact and preserving the city's historic architecture. Instead, they will access Marittima through the Vittorio Emanuele III canal.

Just now, Oceangoer2 said:

Love the ship...been on her more than 5 times...it's one of the S class which is refurbished.

Have you been on Edge class? How would you compare them? To us Edge was just so beautiful and modern. From videos on YouTube Silly looks beautiful as well.

1 minute ago, Cruiscs said:

Have you been on Edge class? How would you compare them? To us Edge was just so beautiful and modern. From videos on YouTube Silly looks beautiful as well.

Have been avoiding E class but will cave pretty soon....they do look beautiful and most love them;  I'm sure you would too.  Docked next to Ascent last Nov before she headed out to sea....very very big but the lack of a true balcony has been the deterrent.  Would book a suite or SV (aft with true balcony) when we do book.  You may like the Infinite cabins with the open window (I call them Juliette as in Europe) balcony. 

7 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Not that large 

Under the new plan, entry into Marittima will be allowed to vessels with a maximum weight of 60 thousand gross tons and a length of 250 meters. These ships will no longer pass in front of the iconic San Marco basin, a move aimed at alleviating concerns about environmental impact and preserving the city's historic architecture. Instead, they will access Marittima through the Vittorio Emanuele III canal.

I see u have a friend in google as well....😉.  Thanks for the info and help with forward planning.  They've been working on the 'wave' situation for a number of years.  Not sure it's implemented yet.

2 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

OP here.  
Anyone who would like to share their experiences on Mediterranian cruises during the shoulder season? Guess it is different departing from Athens and Rome vs Fort Lauderdale where there are lots of retirement homes…. 

As I mentioned we are 30s something couple looking for a cruise on Celebrity in September/October in the Med. We have been on E class during school holidays and loved it but we want a longer cruise with less children. That doesnt mean we hate kids…

Sorry I’m a bit late to the thread, but my husband and I are in our early 40’s and we did a 10 night Med sailing on Beyond this past October (last sailing before the ship did its TA to Fort Lauderdale).  I would say a little over half the ship was probably in the 50-65 age range. The remainder split between much older folks and people our age and younger.  

Overall we found the vibe of the ship to be pretty energetic. Music and theater events were well attended and dance floors drew decent crowds.

I don’t know if you guys are much of night owls, but it seemed like by about 10pm, the age demographic still out and about around the ship skewed much more towards 50’s and under.  The bars tended to stay lively most nights until about 11/11:30, but not much later.  As Jim mentioned the Med is port intensive and people often had to be up early the next day for excursions.  There were definitely a couple of nights we shut down the martini bar at 1am and were in good company doing so though.

It seemed like a lot of the under retirement age crowd were from Europe and Australia/New Zealand.  As Americans we really enjoyed getting to know more people from other countries than we usually do sailing Celebrity in the Caribbean.

We ended up making good friends with a couple of honeymoon couples in their 20’s and 30’s and I ended more than 1 night on the dance floor in the club with women in their late 50’s and early 60’s who knew the words to the Cardi B songs better than I did. 🤷🏽‍♀️

As others have mentioned, school was in session so I only recall seeing a handful or 2 of kids and most of them were infants or toddlers.

We ended up having an amazing time and didn’t feel like we were in a floating retirement home by any means.

If there’s any questions I can help with just let me know!

Edited by GenerationX
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Sorry I’m a bit late to the thread, but my husband and I are in our early 40’s and we did a 10 night Med sailing on Beyond this past October (last sailing before the ship did its TA to Fort Lauderdale).  I would say a little over half the ship was probably in the 50-65 age range. The remainder split between much older folks and people our age and younger.  

Overall we found the vibe of the ship to be pretty energetic. Music and theater events were well attended and dance floors drew decent crowds.

I don’t know if you guys are much of night owls, but it seemed like by about 10pm, the age demographic still out and about around the ship skewed much more towards 50’s and under.  The bars tended to stay lively most nights until about 11/11:30, but not much later.  As Jim mentioned the Med is port intensive and people often had to be up early the next day for excursions.  There were definitely a couple of nights we shut down the martini bar at 1am and were in good company doing so though.

It seemed like a lot of the under retirement age crowd were from Europe and Australia/New Zealand.  As Americans we really enjoyed getting to know more people from other countries than we usually do sailing Celebrity in the Caribbean.

We ended up making good friends with a couple of honeymoon couples in their 20’s and 30’s and I ended more than 1 night on the dance floor in the club with women in their late 50’s and early 60’s who knew the words to the Cardi B songs better than I did. 🤷🏽‍♀️

As others have mentioned, school was in session so I only recall seeing a handful or 2 of kids and most of them were infants or toddlers.

We ended up having an amazing time and didn’t feel like we were in a floating retirement home by any means.

If there’s any questions I can help with just let me know!

This is very helpful. Thanks. Maybe it will be even more lively in September 

Edited by Cruiscs

8 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

My wife buys spa products as it is about the same price she can buy it for at home 

Nice. But do you know the price for dining packages?