Cabin Design

wynkys

I have just returned from a Princess cruise in an inside cabin and the contrast with my recent experience in a Resilient Lady Sea Terrace bears comment.

What a pleasure it was to be able to have your toiletries handy on bathroom shelves and to be able to use the toilet without being reminded of an aircraft

one.

Also enjoyable was being able to see the TV at a good angle without having to sit or lie on the bed.

Many things may be touted on VV as being radical in the industry, however, old-fashioned comfort still has its appeal.

50 minutes ago, wynkys said:

I have just returned from a Princess cruise in an inside cabin and the contrast with my recent experience in a Resilient Lady Sea Terrace bears comment.

What a pleasure it was to be able to have your toiletries handy on bathroom shelves and to be able to use the toilet without being reminded of an aircraft

one.

Also enjoyable was being able to see the TV at a good angle without having to sit or lie on the bed.

Many things may be touted on VV as being radical in the industry, however, old-fashioned comfort still has its appeal.

Whoever designed the regular Sea Terrace bathrooms must not have been on a cruise ship built in the past twenty years.  Although the shower is a decent size, the rest of the bathroom is much too small.  

On 1/29/2024 at 7:37 AM, basenji56 said:

Whoever designed the regular Sea Terrace bathrooms must not have been on a cruise ship built in the past twenty years.  Although the shower is a decent size, the rest of the bathroom is much too small.  

We are three in an XL sea terrace and the room is very thoughtfully designed…….

except they forgot to install a BATHROOM DOOR for the bathroom.  Very weird oversight. 

On 1/29/2024 at 5:46 AM, wynkys said:

Sky Princess interior is fantastic. You forgot to mention how comfortable the beds are compared to the Ikea sofas we sleep on with VV. Especially for the 'luxury price' of VV, you'd think we could at least have more comfortable beds. 

We just sailed Icon of the Seas for a preview and they have the best standard stateroom bathroom of any ship we have sailed in recent history. Some clever redesign tweaks that resulted in a larger shower (shocking!), more room overall in the bathroom and outstanding storage throughout the cabin. Something as simple as moving the shower towel rack into the back of the shower added extra room to the bathroom. And they added a bench to every shower because they are plenty large enough to allow it. So many shelves and storage units everywhere along with additional USB and power outlets. She might be a massive ship, but they really put a lot of effort into the standard stateroom redesign. The Spacious Interior and Interior Plus were especially clever. 

Sometimes 'being different' is a good thing, but sometimes folks who have been designing ships for passengers for over 50 years know a thing or two about maximizing space and comfort. 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CruisingWalter said:

Sky Princess interior is fantastic. You forgot to mention how comfortable the beds are compared to the Ikea sofas we sleep on with VV. Especially for the 'luxury price' of VV, you'd think we could at least have more comfortable beds. 

We just sailed Icon of the Seas for a preview and they have the best standard stateroom bathroom of any ship we have sailed in recent history. Some clever redesign tweaks that resulted in a larger shower (shocking!), more room overall in the bathroom and outstanding storage throughout the cabin. Something as simple as moving the shower towel rack into the back of the shower added extra room to the bathroom. And they added a bench to every shower because they are plenty large enough to allow it. So many shelves and storage units everywhere along with additional USB and power outlets. She might be a massive ship, but they really put a lot of effort into the standard stateroom redesign. The Spacious Interior and Interior Plus were especially clever. 

Sometimes 'being different' is a good thing, but sometimes folks who have been designing ships for passengers for over 50 years know a thing or two about maximizing space and comfort. 🙂

I am waiting for the Icon prices to come down.  It sounds like a great ship but is currently much too expensive.

6 hours ago, WatermelonSugarHigh said:

We are three in an XL sea terrace and the room is very thoughtfully designed…….

except they forgot to install a BATHROOM DOOR for the bathroom.  Very weird oversight. 

You mean you want ANOTHER door between the room and the WC and Shower? it would be like running through one of them hall of mirrors lol

Nah on a serious note, the sinks are tucked away behind a wall and from that you do have doors into the WC and Shower so its not like they are "open to the room" really. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I am waiting for the Icon prices to come down.  It sounds like a great ship but is currently much too expensive.

Yeah, when it's a one-of-a-kind $2B ship, you can pretty much charge what you want for it. 🙂 It will be interesting to see how pricing adjusts in 2026 when Icon 3 is launched. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CruisingWalter said:

Yeah, when it's a one-of-a-kind $2B ship, you can pretty much charge what you want for it. 🙂 It will be interesting to see how pricing adjusts in 2026 when Icon 3 is launched. 

Yes. Pricing is two to three times higher than the same 7-day itinerary on Symphony of the Seas. No thank you.  

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

Yes. Pricing is two to three times higher than the same 7-day itinerary on Symphony of the Seas. No thank you.  

But they don't have Rover, the ship's dog, on Symphony.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

Plenty of Celebrity cruisers will pay a high premium to sail on a ship captained by Captain Kate.

• Like 1

I enjoy both Celebrity and Virgin - one of the things I LOVE about being back on Celebrity is the cabin.  They are so much better designed with comfortable couch or chair for sitting, luxurious soap, better storage etc.  - the virgin cabins feel like a cheap college dorm to me but the bed is still comfy so it does the job.  Definitely doesn’t feel like a luxury vacation though the way Celebrity rooms do. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lustate said:

You mean you want ANOTHER door between the room and the WC and Shower? it would be like running through one of them hall of mirrors lol

Nah on a serious note, the sinks are tucked away behind a wall and from that you do have doors into the WC and Shower so its not like they are "open to the room" really. 

Dude, you’re not traveling with SONS, obviously.  A door is NEEDED. My grown son doesn't need to see his Mom naked. The mirror outside the bathroom adds to the need for a DOOR. NO. EXPLANATIONS. NECESSARY. 

16 hours ago, cantgetin said:

She. Is. So. Fluffy!  And just freakin adorable, I met her in the AquaDome.

We loved Symphony of the Seas when we sailed but they also don't have Category 6 Waterpark. Or Pearl Cafe which is a major upgrade over Cafe Promenade. Or Surfside and those incredible new cabin categories. It's also incredibly quiet at night now. Or the AquaDome which just might be the most stunning venue at sea, truly breathtaking when you see it for the first time. Or the AquaDome Market that was my favorite new food venue. Or Dueling Pianos that was a major addition to the nighttime entertainment. Or the Rye & Bean that is my favorite new bar at sea. Or the Hideaway with that suspended infinity pool. Or the ocean views from Central Park which was more cool than I expected. Or Lou's Jazz Club in Central Park that is a major upgrade over the old Jazz on 4. Or just so many things that Royal got right with this re-design. Just looking at the videos and photos you think "It's just an update to the Oasis class." But onboard, it's so much more.

Is it worth the price? I will say the Star of the Seas is quickly changing some of their pricing with balconies now going for $5200/week on many sailings. That's about the same price as interiors on many Icon sailings. I will gladly pay up to $6000/week for a balcony on this ship. Just so much to do and so much fun. 180 degrees the opposite experience as Virgin but that's why I have loved cruising for 20 years. You can have so many different experiences. 

15 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Plenty of Celebrity cruisers will pay a high premium to sail on a ship captained by Captain Kate.

They're not paying a premium to sail with Captain Kate and Bug. They're paying a premium for the Celebrity Edge Class ships. Beyond, Apex, Ascent and even Edge are all much higher (usually) than Solstice and Millennium class ships. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

She has 862,000 Instagram followers. I enjoy being on one of her ships. She is very charismatic and accessible

Not to mention 3.2M on TikTok. Our plan is to sail with her in a few years and have her (and bug) perform our 30 year anniversary vow renewal. If not her, then Captain D on Ascent who was our very first Celebrity captain. He. is. hilarious. 

Celebrity has made a celebrity of her and is benefitting from their marketing campaign.  Nothing wrong with that. VV does the same with Richard, and as far as I can see, he doesn't perform a real job on the ship.

3 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

Celebrity has made a celebrity of her and is benefitting from their marketing campaign.  Nothing wrong with that. VV does the same with Richard, and as far as I can see, he doesn't perform a real job on the ship.

She danced on the ice bar in a gorgeous pair of Jimmy Choo stilettos. I can’t see Richie B. doing that. That makes her an icon to me. 🥰